Saints re-sign S Tyrann Mathieu (2 years, $13M)

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

https://overthecap.com/player/tyrann-mathieu/2450

I don't even understand what I'm looking at. Are they giving him the Pujols deal? How does this affect the void years?

Too early to know, until full details come out. Could mean they're adding 2025 and 2026 to the deal, could just mean they're adding 2025 to the deal and including this year to call it a 2 year deal.

He was set to make $9M this year, and the Saints would've saved about $1.7M by cutting him, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is a middleground, where Mathieu gets some more guaranteed money and stays on roster, while the Saints get to lower the immediate cap hit.

If it does anything to the void years, it'll add another one or two onto the end. It will make it so the contract no longer voids in 2025, but it won't change the signing bonus dollars that still need to hit the cap in those years. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

https://overthecap.com/player/tyrann-mathieu/2450

I don't even understand what I'm looking at. Are they giving him the Pujols deal? How does this affect the void years?

13m over two years could mean 5m base salary which saves Saints 2m this year and 8m (base salary) turning into 11m cap salary in 2025.  That way his dead money for 2026 will become peanuts if no more extension. 

Edited by JetsandI