Chicago Fan PTSD

dll2000

I think the idea that Hoge put out that Chicago has a form of fan QB PTSD is absolutely true.

Trubisky and then Fields just happened.  Every fan thought Fields was going to hit in Chicago when he was drafted. Including me.  Especially me.  Well until Dalton plan, but that is another story. 

He had so much hope poured into him.  The optimism and excitement was there in spades.  Even with Nagy. Even with Dalton and all that followed.  People were jacked. Dancing at draft night.  At church after that draft a lot of people were wearing Bears jerseys to show their excitement about Fields.

People kind of forget he was 4th QB taken.  He was viewed as a flawed prospect.  

Caleb Williams is objectively better than Fields as a prospect.  By any measure.  He is near on same level as Lawrence.  As viewed by analysts in real time.  A near can’t miss. Imagine the excitement in real time if we had the number one pick that draft and were drafting Lawrence.  It would have been crazy. Everyone would have had a Lawrence jersey to wear for the draft.  There be zero talk of trading the pick.  

There should be crazy excitement for this upcoming pick as well and there isn’t.  Part of that is the hope people felt for Fields is not dead in many and part of that is two straight failures and a history of no developed QBs from draft since 1940s. 

We are in this crazy pattern of firing coaches with young QBs recently drafted. The timing of these last two and soon to be three qb picks is weird.  Fox, Nagy and now Eberflus all not coming off good seasons and still being given task of all important QB development. 

I just don’t think fans want to hope like that and be burned again while we are repeating same pattern. 

I think many would rather err on side of building a great team and playing whoever at QB.  Building the team is easier for Bears. They can do that.  They have done that. But they have proven over time they can’t find or develop QBs. 

I get it.  But it is still the wrong move.  

You take the QB. You don’t take Sam Bowie because you need a center to complete your team and you have a great player in Clyde Drexler at shooting guard.  You draft Michael Jordan or even the potential Michael Jordan.  Even if you are wrong and he isn’t Jordan.  

The reasoning is the same.  The logic is the same.  You chase greatness.  Not just being good. 

Edited by dll2000
Nevermind
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

If anything that class shows one thing...you really never know with a draft prospect what you are going to get.

And Mac looked pretty good after his rookie year. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

And Mac looked pretty good after his rookie year. 

They didn’t do Mac any favors personnel wise either, but from a distance he doesn’t seem like he has the leadership stuff to lead the locker room. That may not have been just a him thing and maybe that came from BB not seeming committed to him in any real way. It also turns me off to Jones that he’s a dirty player with kicking and grabbing guys and stuff like that. That’s some ***** stuff right there. 

• Like 2

For a while, I've had a little nervousness about Caleb Williams.  It was because of two things:  1) I heard rumors that he said he didn't want to play in Chicago, and 2) Justin Fields is such a likable guy, and the Bears haven't done him any favors in his development.  We failed him, if the truth is told. 

Having said that, I am starting to come around to liking the idea of drafting Caleb.  As much as I like Fields, we NEED a better quarterback, and he is just not going to become that guy in Chicago.  Maybe it's time to move into a new era of Bears football.  Push all of our chips into the pot and see what happens.  Take the best QB, then add another receiver at #9 to pair with DJ Moore, and see what they can do.  

If nothing else, it would be fun seeing how Packer fans react when they have to deal with the fact that we have the better QB for a change.  xD 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

For a while, I've had a little nervousness about Caleb Williams.  It was because of two things:  1) I heard rumors that he said he didn't want to play in Chicago, and 2) Justin Fields is such a likable guy, and the Bears haven't done him any favors in his development.  We failed him, if the truth is told. 

Having said that, I am starting to come around to liking the idea of drafting Caleb.  As much as I like Fields, we NEED a better quarterback, and he is just not going to become that guy in Chicago.  Maybe it's time to move into a new era of Bears football.  Push all of our chips into the pot and see what happens.  Take the best QB, then add another receiver at #9 to pair with DJ Moore, and see what they can do.  

If nothing else, it would be fun seeing how Packer fans react when they have to deal with the fact that we have the better QB for a change.  xD 

I think if things had been done differently along way Justin is a much better NFL QB today and we aren’t having this conversation.

Instead we are trading for maybe biggest draft compensation in NFL history. 

That is what I wanted from before start of past season.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 12:17 PM, Madmike90 said:

If anything that class shows one thing...you really never know with a draft prospect what you are going to get.

All were drafted late and won at least one Superbowl.  And Brock Purdy just lead his team to one and he was the last player taken in his draft.

Brad Johnson 227 1
Bart Starr 200 2
Tom Brady 199 7
Mark Rypien 146 1
Roger Staubach 129