Better RB Eric Dickerson or O.J Simpson

mdonnelly21

26 members have voted

1. 1. Better RB

• Eric Dickerson
    • O.J Simpson

Personally I think Simpson is maybe the best runningback the NFL has ever seen and if I had an an all time fantasy team of my own he'd probably be my starter. What he did in 1973 hasn't been matched in my opinion when you take into consideration the circumstances he was dealing with. He also destroyed the Steelers two times, one being a 227 yard performance in Pittsburgh in 1975.

Dickerson was also a great back. The one big knock on Dickerson though is that he fumbled a ridiculous amount of times for his first few seasons. 

22 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Personally I think Simpson is maybe the best runningback the NFL has ever seen and if I had an an all time fantasy team of my own he'd probably be my starter. What he did in 1973 hasn't been matched in my opinion when you take into consideration the circumstances he was dealing with. He also destroyed the Steelers two times, one being a 227 yard performance in Pittsburgh in 1975.

Dickerson was also a great back. The one big knock on Dickerson though is that he fumbled a ridiculous amount of times for his first few seasons. 

You're 100% correct on those two big regular season games Simpson had against the Steelers, other HOF backs of that era were usually neutralized against Pittsburgh. It is worth noting the Steelers convicted Simpson in the 1974 playoffs, a paltry 49 yards on 15 carries. 

3 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

You're 100% correct on those two big regular season games Simpson had against the Steelers, other HOF backs of that era were usually neutralized against Pittsburgh. It is worth noting the Steelers convicted Simpson in the 1974 playoffs, a paltry 49 yards on 15 carries. 

That says a lot about the Steel Curtain.  As we all know now, it is very difficult to convict The Juice.   ;)

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That says a lot about the Steel Curtain.  As we all know now, it is very difficult to convict The Juice.   ;)

The juice is loose. Looking at the stats seems

oj got better as he aged while ED came out the gates flying.. Ed had the better explosive seasons looking at raw data. Ed was also the better finisher getting to the endzone much more while being a dynamic. Ed had 4 seasons over 2k yards from scrimmage to Ojs 2..

The answer is ED. 

5 hours ago, El ramster said:

The juice is loose. Looking at the stats seems

oj got better as he aged while ED came out the gates flying.. Ed had the better explosive seasons looking at raw data. Ed was also the better finisher getting to the endzone much more while being a dynamic. Ed had 4 seasons over 2k yards from scrimmage to Ojs 2..

The answer is ED. 

Dickerson played in 16 game seasons, not 14 though. Dickerson also played his home games in LA, and later the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. Not in Buffalo where it's cold and snowing in the second half of the season.

19 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Dickerson played in 16 game seasons, not 14 though. Dickerson also played his home games in LA, and later the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. Not in Buffalo where it's cold and snowing in the second half of the season.

How is that relevant? In a era where the run was king. Proves nothing. Ed was a special RB, are you saying he would have been bad in teams like Chi, Gb, Philly and New York?

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

How is that relevant? In a era where the run was king. Proves nothing. Ed was a special RB, are you saying he would have been bad in teams like Chi, Gb, Philly and New York?

It proves that he had harder circumstances. How is that not relevant? Is kicking in a dome the same as kicking outside in freezing temperatures? Running was the style of ball in the 70's. Okay, that furthers my point. Everything was keyed in on OJ. 

Not saying Dickerson would have been bad somewhere else. Everyone is a product of their circumstance. Just comparing based on the data available beyond pure numbers.

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

2 more games = More wear and tear and ED had way more playoff games and miles to Ojs 1 playoff game.. Come at me bro.

John Robinson's Rams were better than Lou Saban's Bills. When Dickerson left the team quickly rebounded with Charles White and Greg Bell taking over.

The reason I pointed out the number of games is because you used total scrimmage yards as a baseline without contextualization. How can OJ match that if he can't play 16 games? If you had said YPG instead that would be different. Kind of like Moss breaking Rice's touchdown record in 16 games when Rice set the record in 12 games. They're only a TD apart. Don't think that makes Moss' s season necessarily better because he had 4 more games to get a touchdown.

10 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

John Robinson's Rams were better than Lou Saban's Bills. When Dickerson left the team quickly rebounded with Greg Bell taking over.

The reason I pointed out the number of games is because you used total scrimmage yards as a baseline without contextualization. How can OJ match that if he can't play 16 games? If you had said YPG instead that would be different. Kind of like Moss breaking Rice's touchdown record in 16 games when Rice set the record in 12 games. They're only a TD apart. Don't think that makes Moss' s season necessarily better because he had 4 more games to get a touchdown.

Dickerson still out performs him in YPG. Dunno my dude.. All the data and stats favor eric.. 

8 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Even the fumbles. :)

Just kidding. I'm not going to get into an internet war about it. Both are top 5 running backs to me as far as legacy goes.

Word? 62 to 78 isn't that bad.. Considering ED had 670 more touches..

If you work it out ED fumbled every 42 touches while Oj fumbled every 42 touches as well.. 

Archived