Cousins to test the FA market

vike daddy

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

The #Vikings and Kirk Cousins remain in communication, but it appears the four-time Pro Bowl QB will test the free-agent market, which opens at noon ET on Monday.

Ben Goessling@BenGoessling

The #Vikings continued contract talks through the weekend with Kirk Cousins, who’s now about 14 hours from fielding other offers. My sense is, the Vikings haven’t minded Cousins gauging his market, especially if it helps him put their offer in context w/others. Busy week ahead.

Dianna Russini@DMRussini

While the Denver Broncos had some conversations about the possibility of going after QB Kirk Cousins, they are not going to be pursuing him if he hits free agency, per sources.

Edited by vike daddy

Still kinda sounds like it's basically just..."sure Kirk, go out there and gauge your market...it's smaller than you think".  Trying to get him to lower his "ask" with Minnesota. 

We've heard links to Atlanta but it also seems plausible that is just a smokescreen from Cousin's camp trying to leverage a bigger deal.  Has he even been directly linked with anyone else particularly seriously?  Sounds like the Broncos kicked tires but aren't interested and honestly i don't see how they would be with the Russell Wilson contract fallout.  Basically leaves Vegas and maybe Pittsburgh...but haven't heard much chatter there either.

Basically just feels like both sides playing a little bit of chicken.  Vikings want him at a more reasonable price.  Cousins trying to bluff "tire kicking" into "serious interest".  🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

He's 36 years old and coming off a torn Achilles. I don't think it's going to be a big market for him.

High tier level starter hitting FA? 

Easily pushing at least $40 million a year if not more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Vikings goin' feel dumb letting the Raiders do something stupid and take their QB thinking his market small

fine. it will remove the Raiders as competitors for a QB in the draft.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Still kinda sounds like it's basically just..."sure Kirk, go out there and gauge your market...it's smaller than you think".  Trying to get him to lower his "ask" with Minnesota. 

We've heard links to Atlanta but it also seems plausible that is just a smokescreen from Cousin's camp trying to leverage a bigger deal.  Has he even been directly linked with anyone else particularly seriously?  Sounds like the Broncos kicked tires but aren't interested and honestly i don't see how they would be with the Russell Wilson contract fallout.  Basically leaves Vegas and maybe Pittsburgh...but haven't heard much chatter there either.

Basically just feels like both sides playing a little bit of chicken.  Vikings want him at a more reasonable price.  Cousins trying to bluff "tire kicking" into "serious interest".  🤷‍♀️

Falcons, Raiders, Titans maybe. 

This probably doesn't make Jefferson too happy with the prospect of playing with a QB that won't be able to get him the ball as much as he'd like. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Falcons, Raiders, Titans maybe. 

This probably doesn't make Jefferson too happy with the prospect of playing with a QB that won't be able to get him the ball as much as he'd like. 

I don't really see the Titans being in on a guy like this.  They seem like they're probably pretty firmly in the mode of seeing what Levis has to offer.  Finding out if he can be the guy or not.

Even the Raiders...they could use Cousins, but most of what you hear and see about the way they're operating, seems to point toward not trying another "stopgap" option.  Trying to do everything they can to go out and find an actual long-term solution finally.

Could be wrong, but that's the impression i've got from the situation at least.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Kirk Cousins isn't "high tier". He's not even worth half that amount.

LOL every starting QB in the league who aren't on their rookie contract (minus Jordan Love) are earning over 20M. 
Kirk will get over 35M/year easily. He's not high tier but he's a FA, he's going to get paid like he was high tier anyway

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

I don't really see the Titans being in on a guy like this.  They seem like they're probably pretty firmly in the mode of seeing what Levis has to offer.  Finding out if he can be the guy or not.

Even the Raiders...they could use Cousins, but most of what you hear and see about the way they're operating, seems to point toward not trying another "stopgap" option.  Trying to do everything they can to go out and find an actual long-term solution finally.

Could be wrong, but that's the impression i've got from the situation at least.

Another team might be the Patriots. I feel like some team is going to at some point during the FA is going to give him a chance. 

• Like 1