Steelers sign QB Russell Wilson

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Its a good move for both. 

They got a run first offense with some serious weapons in Pickens, Diontae, Najee, and Friermuth. They got that defense too. 

He doens't have to be great. He just has to play smart. 

Massive upgrade over Kenny Pickett. Just watch

I don’t know man, don’t think I’ll bet on the guy being paid 38 million TO NOT BE on a team. He can’t throw over the middle of the field to be effective in an offense which will demand that he does that. He’s completely ineffective now he’s lost his trump card, his mobility and been dreadful for years straight.

I get the Steelers are getting a player they don’t have to pay any money to, but to think they’ve upgraded the position is insane. This is going to be the quarterback competition from hell.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

If Sean Payton didn't get anything out of him, I can't picture an incompetent moron like Smith faring any better 

To be fair Smith did pretty good as an OC in Tennessee. Dude saved Tannehill's career had him putting up 40 TD

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I don’t know man, don’t think I’ll bet on the guy being paid 38 million TO NOT BE on a team. He can’t throw over the middle of the field to be effective in an offense which will demand that he does that. He’s completely ineffective now he’s lost his trump card, his mobility and been dreadful for years straight.

I get the Steelers are getting a player they don’t have to pay any money to, but to think they’ve upgraded the position is insane. This is going to be the quarterback competition from hell.

I mean if he can't beat out Pickett to start it's probably time to hang them up.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I mean if he can't beat out Pickett to start it's probably time to hang them up.

Unless the past couple of seasons have been a mirage, I don’t think he will do anything but play bad and drive everyone nuts.

Actually that probably applies to all three QBs on that roster…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

How is that "insane"?

Granted, it may not be some MASSIVE upgrade, but...to suggest he cant be better than Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph?     Umm....okay?

I still have yet to hear what QB the Steelers could have brought in that was going to make them much better this year.

Cousins?   Perhaps, but he is aging, coming off a serious injury, and will likely cost $30m.

Fields?    More upside, but is a worse passer than WIlson, even at this stage.   Plus, wouldve cost a draft pick.

Tannehill?    Didnt look like he had much left, and even if he was decent, wasnt going to make us a legit contender.   Plus, likely wouldve cost a bit more.

Who else?   Jacoby Brissett?   Joe Flacco?    Reach on a guy like Bo Nix?    

Just trying to figure out all these options we supposedly had.

3 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Unless the past couple of seasons have been a mirage, I don’t think he will do anything but play bad and drive everyone nuts.

Actually that probably applies to all three QBs on that roster…

Arthur Smith really went from Mariota to Ridder to Russ. Dude loves himself a mid QB

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

How is that "insane"?

Granted, it may not be some MASSIVE upgrade, but...to suggest he cant be better than Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph?     Umm....okay

Yeah, if you’ve watched him play recently - not beating out Pickett and the fellas is an extremely likely prospect. Dude checked down twenty percent of his passes from a clean pocket last season. He can’t move, and he can’t throw over the middle. He’s cooked.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

Cousins?   Perhaps, but he is aging, coming off a serious injury, and will likely cost $30m.

Fields?    More upside, but is a worse passer than WIlson, even at this stage.   Plus, wouldve cost a draft pick.

Tannehill?    Didnt look like he had much left, and even if he was decent, wasnt going to make us a legit contender.   Plus, likely wouldve cost a bit more.

Who else?   Jacoby Brissett?   Joe Flacco?    Reach on a guy like Bo Nix?    

Just trying to figure out all these options we supposedly had.

Tbh, yeah. Most, if not all of those are better options if you take the financials out of it. Brissett would actually be low cost instant upgrade, but Fields was the low risk, low cost upgrade to make here. Gives the position a totally different dimension athletically.

Solid move for both sides. Steelers get an upgrade at QB for cheap, Russ gets to play in a well run organization with weapons and a defense.

Biggest concern is if cringe Russ creates problems in the locker room, but I think Tomlin can squash that. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah, if you’ve watched him play recently - not beating out Pickett and the fellas is an extremely likely prospect. Dude checked down twenty percent of his passes from a clean pocket last season. He can’t move, and he can’t throw over the middle. He’s cooked.

Guess we'll find out.

22 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Tbh, yeah. Most, if not all of those are better options if you take the financials out of it.

No...thats a big part of it.

And none of them make us contenders.

22 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Brissett would actually be low cost instant upgrade, but Fields was the low risk, low cost upgrade to make here. Gives the position a totally different dimension athletically.

Fields is an awful passer and wouldve cost a draft pick.   He is a great athlete....and thats about it.   Was he a better option than Russ?   Perhaps, but only as a running QB.   He cant win with his arm either, and QBs like that dont win in this league consistently.    My fear with him is he would've came here, played just barely well enough to get an extension, and held us back for YEARS.   Not worried about Wilson staying longer than a year or 2.

Brissett isnt much of an upgrade either.   

It all comes back to "who moves the needle" as far as being contenders.

NONE of these QBs make us contenders.

I dont like Wilson much, but Ill take the guy who hardly costs us anything.  We could still go get another QB and can keep building the team with this contract.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

This statement is what is insane. You're aware that the ONLY QB on the roster was Kenny Pickett? I'm not even as out on Pickett as a lot of Steelers fans, but if you don't think adding Wilson to the QB room upgrades it, then you are absolutely insane.