Commanders to sign Dante Fowler, DE

Another "I hope it's a one year deal for very little money" signing. 

Not enthusiastic about this one either. 

Danielle Hunter would have been a game changer for us.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Makes sense. Now draft a DE in the 2nd or 3rd and the depth chart on the Dline should be set this year. 

That is too many resources to spend on the position IMO. If we draft one it should be in the 5th or later. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

That is too many resources to spend on the position IMO. If we draft one it should be in the 5th or later. 

There’s some falcons insider who’s tweet is quoted on Reddit claiming we are currently offering the most for Hunter so it’s possible you’ll get your wish. Who knows this time of year though? 

https://x.com/JMB_CU16/status/1767636772517720167?s=20

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

How is it too many resources? None of the guys we’ve signed are a long term solution other than maybe Armstrong and he’s a projection.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

How is it too many resources? None of the guys we’ve signed are a long term solution other than maybe Armstrong and he’s a projection.

We currently have 3 defensive ends locked up for 3 years in Armstrong, Henry and Jones, and 7 on the roster total. Using a 2nd round pick is the equivalent of drafting Phidarian Mathis in the 2nd, IMO. There is no justification when looking at the rest of the roster. I would use both 2nds on OTs before I would ever consider a DE at this point.

The amount of talent that is available in the 2nd is going to be a bountiful. If we waste a pick on a position that isn't a significant need (debatable I know), it will be Mathis and Forbes all over again. 

It's hard to try to justify 3 signed DEs and a 2nd round pick, IMO. Let Ferrell, Fowler, Henry and Jones rotate and roll with it. (Unless of course we swing for the fence with Hunter)

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

We currently have 3 defensive ends locked up for 3 years in Armstrong, Henry and Jones, and 7 on the roster total. Using a 2nd round pick is the equivalent of drafting Phidarian Mathis in the 2nd, IMO. There is no justification when looking at the rest of the roster. I would use both 2nds on OTs before I would ever consider a DE at this point.

The amount of talent that is available in the 2nd is going to be a bountiful. If we waste a pick on a position that isn't a significant need (debatable I know), it will be Mathis and Forbes all over again. 

It's hard to try to justify 3 signed DEs and a 2nd round pick, IMO. Let Ferrell, Fowler, Henry and Jones rotate and roll with it. (Unless of course we swing for the fence with Hunter)

It’s a premium position and Fowler and Ferrell are just rotational type player not starters. Armstrong also hasn’t been a starter and might fail in that role. DE is still a big need in the draft.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

It’s a premium position and Fowler and Ferrell are just rotational type player not starters. Armstrong also hasn’t been a starter and might fail in that role. DE is still a big need in the draft.

I just don't agree. 

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

If it's a guy who we know can be a long-term starter and is a great player, I have zero problem grabbing him in the 2nd round with one of our picks. This is a position that needs rotating guys and the guys we signed are all 3 years or fewer in terms of length of contract. At this point, I like what we're doing in FA (except for not getting a OT) as it allows us to grab the BPA in the first two rounds regardless of the position that they play.

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If it's a guy who we know can be a long-term starter and is a great player, I have zero problem grabbing him in the 2nd round with one of our picks. This is a position that needs rotating guys and the guys we signed are all 3 years or fewer in terms of length of contract. At this point, I like what we're doing in FA (except for not getting a OT) as it allows us to grab the BPA in the first two rounds regardless of the position that they play.

If Chop Robinson is there we’d be nuts to pass on him for what we currently have. 

• Like 1

An interesting signing I guess. Fowler is a situational pass rusher who will get most of his snaps on 3rd down.

The plan is clear to me: fill as many holes as possible with guys you know on reasonable short-term contracts so that they can get creative in the draft. 

This also a huge indictment on the RivEra. Complete roster mismanagement to the point that the new regime needed to sign 11 new players on the first 2 days of free agency. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

An interesting signing I guess. Fowler is a situational pass rusher who will get most of his snaps on 3rd down.

The plan is clear to me: fill as many holes as possible with guys you know on reasonable short-term contracts so that they can get creative in the draft. 

This also a huge indictment on the RivEra. Complete roster mismanagement to the point that the new regime needed to sign 11 new players on the first 2 days of free agency. 

I've heard the roster is better than what he inherited. 

It is definitely better (on paper) than almost any year of the "RivEra." They are filling a ton of holes and it would be nice to go into the draft and not force anything. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I've heard the roster is better than what he inherited. 

It is definitely better (on paper) than almost any year of the "RivEra." They are filling a ton of holes and it would be nice to go into the draft and not force anything. 

Every new regime performs a large turnover of the roster. 

14 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

But as you mentioned in other posts, those two are tied to the previous regime. They might not have any value to Quinn and co. 

• Like 1