Tyron Smith signing with Jets

textaz03

Jets are giving OT Tyron Smith a one-year deal that, with incentives, could be worth up to $20 million, per source.

Smith is said to be looking forward to the idea of protecting Aaron Rodgers.

https://x.com/adamschefter/status/1768806201087721967?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

Smith finally getting a decent payday. Can’t blame him there at all

Ive got no issue with moving on from an ageing albeit star player as long as you have a transition plan.  That's what's missing in Dallas.  Where's the plan?  What is the strategy?  No LT.  No center.  No running game.  DL and pass rush depth has taken a hit.  It's a strange start to the we are all in declaration. The off season isn't over but is this team better or worse right now than the team who got slaughtered by the Packers?  I vote worse.

Edited by Northland
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Northland said:

Ive got no issue with moving on from an ageing albeit star player as long as you have a transition plan.  That's what's missing in Dallas.  Where's the plan?  What is the strategy?  No LT.  No center.  No running game.  DL and pass rush depth has taken a hit.  It's a strange start to the we are all in declaration. The off season isn't over but is this team better or worse right now than the team who got slaughtered by the Packers?  I vote worse.

Oh it’s definitely worse. Then the narrative from this front office will be, well it’s Daks fault or it’s coaching staffs fault and then just clean house. 

meanwhile we all know, it was the front offices fault for mismanaging the roster!! 

58 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Oh it’s definitely worse. Then the narrative from this front office will be, well it’s Daks fault or it’s coaching staffs fault and then just clean house. 

meanwhile we all know, it was the front offices fault for mismanaging the roster!! 

It's so damn frustrating.  In MLB I've been a Dodgers fan since the mid 70's about as long as I've been a Cowboys fan.  The Dodgers were disgusted with how their season ended last year and were determined to improve the roster.  They went all in signing Ohtani, Yamamoto, Hernandez, and trading for Glasnow.  You might disagree with the deferring of salary, but as a fan I appreciate a club that does what it has to do to remain a legitimate contender. Dallas is just so freaking reactive.

On 3/16/2024 at 10:14 AM, Northland said:

Tyler Smith started most of his snaps at LT so it seems like Dallas has a transition plan, for sure.  It seems that in a deep class of great OT's, they plan to either let a great LT fall to them at 24 and keep Smith inside, forming another dominant duo for the next decade. OR, perhaps a strong RT/G falls, then they kick Smith out and maybe move Steele inside and use the RT outside, or maybe they have JPJ or Barton and draft a C and use one of the 5 depth IOL guys they have to slide over to Guard.  Or maybe they find a Guard in the 3rd round and draft a strong WR, RB, CB or LB depending on how the draft falls.

At this point, there are plenty of options to solidify the OL, but I agree it would be nice if we improved some of our holes during FA

45 minutes ago, 5x10 said:

No worries, we have plenty of oline depth 

Right guys?

right?

guys?

Technically yeah. I don’t love it, but Bass and Hoffman did reasonably well last year in limited snaps and both did well in final regular season game. 
Again, I don’t love it, but figure Dallas is in same position as majority of teams across the league. 

7 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Tyler Smith started most of his snaps at LT so it seems like Dallas has a transition plan, for sure.  It seems that in a deep class of great OT's, they plan to either let a great LT fall to them at 24 and keep Smith inside, forming another dominant duo for the next decade. OR, perhaps a strong RT/G falls, then they kick Smith out and maybe move Steele inside and use the RT outside, or maybe they have JPJ or Barton and draft a C and use one of the 5 depth IOL guys they have to slide over to Guard.  Or maybe they find a Guard in the 3rd round and draft a strong WR, RB, CB or LB depending on how the draft falls.

At this point, there are plenty of options to solidify the OL, but I agree it would be nice if we improved some of our holes during FA

This draft is extremely deep at OT and top heavy at IOL, I would seriously consider mortgaging a future pick to add a 2nd this year. 

Regardless, this front office needs to find a way to add a day 2 pick and a day 3 pick IMO.  With lack of FA movement, we need to stack some picks to fill some holes. 

Interesting breakdown. Curious as to how often this type of structuring takes place. Seems Dallas could have done something along these lines rather easily. But, ya know our FO is run by Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

Edited by WizardHawk