• Ben Sinnott TE Kansas State
    • Kris Jenkins DT Michigan
    • Payton Wilson LB NC State
    • Cedric Gray LB North Carolina
    • Braden Fiske DT Florida State
    • Roman Wilson WR Michigan

38 minutes ago, rlon said:

He’s your favorite player, no offense

He’s not fwiw. He’s a guy who people that want to move on from him don’t have any other reason that overpaid of like a guy that played very limited snaps. 

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

But do you need a true NT in the style of defense they are playing?  And is that worth a 2nd round pick vs picking up a fat body later?

Yes you do. Heyward has been as close to that as we’ve had. In the 4 man grunt he’s eaten far more blocks than must assume. 

The concern with Sweat for me is you are getting a limited snap player, that will likely never really give you more snaps, but a dwindling less at some point. Could he be an anomaly? Possibly, but unlikely.  You might get two to three  quality years out of him, maybe 1 or 2 good ones unless he does a 180 with conditioning. Im not trying to say he is anything bad or really judging him as lazy or anything just that if you had to guess, it would be that it goes that way. Risk vs reward obviously. I'd lean heavily to somebody that Id expect to be employed with the team potentially for a 2 contract term, rather than crossing my fingers to get through one. 

I prefer to look at the draft from and 8-10 year perspective when it comes to your 1st & 2nd round guys especially. I would liken Sweat a bit to the TE Washington. I was nowhere near the fan of him as pretty much everybody else, but even I thought the potential value at that late part of the 3rd was too good to pass up at a position that could use some improvement and depth overall. I do like Sweat's ability and snap to snap play a lot more than I liked Washington.

If we get two great/quality picks in the 1st & 2nd, he might be a reason to move up into the early third. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Sweat is a true nose…

Yes, that is what I meant. In fact, if Sweat was the pick at 51, you won’t hear a single complaint from me. I just wish we had one more pick in the first 3 rounds. I don’t think Steeler fans should be surprised or disappointed that two of the first four picks may be targeted as ongoing part time players (NT and NCB). The FO’s approach is Super Bowl, right or wrong. I like Sweat and Sainristil. If not, I do like Jarrian Jones in the 4th. Which late nose tackle do you like? There are maybe 3 that may go rounds 3-5, possibly in the 6th or later of you consider Lovett the fourth guy.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Yes you do. Heyward has been as close to that as we’ve had. In the 4 man grunt he’s eaten far more blocks than must assume. 

So you want a 5 tech type person at 300 lbs that can play 2 gap?

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Not necessarily. I want someone that will keep LBers clean to make plays. 

They way they are playing the defense they need someone that can 2 gap and rush the passer.  We all love the big NT but they have show zero interest in them since Big Snake retired

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jebrick said:

They way they are playing the defense they need someone that can 2 gap and rush the passer.  We all love the big NT but they have show zero interest in them since Big Snake retired

Well, they experimented with McCullers, but he was only a 6th rd pick.

In todays league, these types of NTs are hard to come by, so I can see why some people want him. 

I just seriously question his value in rd 2 given how they will likely use him.  In the 90s and early 2000s, absolutely.    In 2024, Im not sure he is worth a top 75 pick.

Again...I like the player,  but this would feel like a reach.

For the record I voted Corley. 

This conversation is happening because I personally don’t think there’s much separating Jordan Davis in 2022 and T’Vondre Sweat in 2024, yet some people were saying this was still too early for Sweat while back in 2022 some people wanted to trade up for Davis. Their weaknesses are the same, strengths are the same. IMO Davis fooled people by weighing low enough to run fast in underwear. 

55 minutes ago, warfelg said:

For the record I voted Corley. 

This conversation is happening because I personally don’t think there’s much separating Jordan Davis in 2022 and T’Vondre Sweat in 2024, yet some people were saying this was still too early for Sweat while back in 2022 some people wanted to trade up for Davis. Their weaknesses are the same, strengths are the same. IMO Davis fooled people by weighing low enough to run fast in underwear. 

Because Davis fooled people into believing he would be a 3 tech.  A dominate 3 tech is definitely worth a top 20 pick.  a 2 down NT, maybe 3rd round in value.

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Because Davis fooled people into believing he would be a 3 tech.  A dominate 3 tech is definitely worth a top 20 pick.  a 2 down NT, maybe 3rd round in value.

So there’s my issue with where so many people put too much stock into all that other parts of scouting and not enough into the film.  On film, TBH, there’s not much separating the two in my eyes. Inconsistent, but potentially dominate in the run game.  Might offer some in the pass game but will really offer blockeater. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

So there’s my issue with where so many people put too much stock into all that other parts of scouting and not enough into the film.  On film, TBH, there’s not much separating the two in my eyes. Inconsistent, but potentially dominate in the run game.  Might offer some in the pass game but will really offer blockeater. 

The combine results fooled draft-niks into the 3 tech.  I never saw him as more than a 1 tech at best.