RS Mock #1 - We Like to Have Fun Here

S2oAh1m.png

Here's my completely unrealistic mock where I mostly just go after guys I think would be fun to have. 

#12 - First (and only real) goal was to go up and get Brock Bowers. I think if he falls anywhere after the QBs and big three WRs it's a mistake. Here I used Watson (a guy I personally wouldn't want to pay) and the #41 to go up to Denver at #12. How does MLF use all three of Bowers, Musgrave, and Kraft? I don't know. But again, FUN! Don't @ me. 

#29 - Second big move was moving down from #25 to #29. Picked up a couple late 3rd day picks in the process.

#31 - Surprise, another trade down. I liked a bunch of guys at #29 and San Fran really wanted to move up a couple spots. Landed a 4th for my trouble, and a guy I might have taken at #25 was still there in Amarius Mims. Doesn't have to be a first year starter, particularly after how the rest of the draft played out.

#58 - Happily surprised with one of the few safeties I like in this draft in Jaden Hicks still around. Perfect compliment to McKinney, Hicks will spend a lot of time in the box as a hybrid safety/linebacker. 

#88 - Well look at that, my second favorite CB in the whole class is sitting right there. Jarrian Jones slides right into the nickel spot. Sorry, Nixon ✌️✌️.

#91 - In what is maybe most unbelievable in this entire exercise, interior disruptor Michael Hall Jr. is there late in the 3rd round. I expect him to go a round earlier when all is said and done. 

#124 - Tyrone Tracy is my favorite running back in a really, really awful class. A former WR, he looks like it on film. Only question was whether the athletic testing would check out, and it did. Here's your Jones replacement.

GHr6UJiXMAEhDNV.jpg

#126 - I'm not expert on offensive line play, but I feel like Cooper Beebe is probably better than a late 4th round pick. Nice depth here, and potential competition for Rhyan.

#131 - A trade up! At this point in the draft I've got a whole lot of day three picks and it's time to start consolidating. Still need a linebacker (though I think Hicks can be a good weak side LB in a 4-3) so I take one of the best coverage backers in this class. Cedric Gray, come on down. 

#169 - Despite taking Bowers and the ability of Tracy Jr., we could use another WR with the trade of Watson. Luke McCaffrey is nice late round value. From today's ESPN article: 

"McCaffrey posted a drop rate of only 3.2% (four drops) on 126 targets at Rice last season. And the tape tells us that McCaffrey is a natural hands catcher who is able to secure the ball in heavy traffic areas and on contested one-on-ones. His 24 contested catches also tied for the most in the nation."

Sure, that works.

#180 - Another trade up. This time it's a 3 for 1 deal for a slipping Tannor Bortolini. More of an athlete than a good football player, he's worth a flyer late. 

#245 - Gotta add a QB to the room. Taulia Tagovailova doesn't physically look like what the Packers have traditionally looked for, but the kid can sling it. Good candidate for the PS.

Roast away.

Edited by ReasonablySober

Thank you for qualifying it as 'unreasonable,' and you are correct. 

Not only that but I actually hate this draft. You trade away Watson plus for a TE when we have two studs already. Don't like Mims.

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Thank you for qualifying it as 'unreasonable,' and you are correct. 

Not only that but I actually hate this draft. You trade away Watson plus for a TE when we have two studs already. Don't like Mims.

I like Kraft and Musgraves, but calling them studs is a bit much. They're nice players. Neither is generational in the way Bowers is. 

Mims is a good developmental tackle. In the second round he'd be a steal. 

19 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

I like Kraft and Musgraves, but calling them studs is a bit much. They're nice players. Neither is generational in the way Bowers is. 

Mims is a good developmental tackle. In the second round he'd be a steal. 

When has the last a "generational talent,' at TE lived up to that billing and became THE problem for a defense to account for? 

It's all good we see the draft differently, doesn't mean I'm right and you are wrong. Your draft was not my cup of tea. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Kyle Pitts. He showed up and was All-Pro caliber as a rookie.

Is that the criteria, one good year, two ****ty years. 

He has 6 TD’s in three years. He has 1000 yards over the last two years. 

Maybe we have different views on what a generational talent looks like. 

The correct answer is never. 

• Like 2

Just now, Old Guy said:

Is that the criteria, one good year, two ****ty years. 

He has 6 TD’s in three years. He has 1000 yards over the last two years. 

Maybe we have different views on what a generational talent looks like. 

The correct answer is never. 

He had over 1000 yards and averaged 15 YPR as a rookie with Matt Ryan a year away from retirement. It's not his fault he's spent the last two seasons with QBs who shouldn't be in the league and a coach who just got fired. I'd kill to have Pitts in Green Bay with Love and MLF. He'd immediately be the best weapon on the team.

16 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

He had over 1000 yards and averaged 15 YPR as a rookie with Matt Ryan a year away from retirement. It's not his fault he's spent the last two seasons with QBs who shouldn't be in the league and a coach who just got fired. I'd kill to have Pitts in Green Bay with Love and MLF. He'd immediately be the best weapon on the team.

His rookie year, with Matt Ryan, he had 1 TD. 

Look we see this differently. It's all good! 

I'm happy you got your favorites.

Hate that you traded our most talented WR.

Dislike that our first pick goes to one of our strongest position rooms.

A second first round pick is blown on a project that is far outside our perceived norms.

The only RB taken is listed as a WR on some other boards.

Not happy with this at all, glad your got your guys.

First of all, the best ability is AVAILability. Watson doesn't have that and we were possibly a Super Bowl appearance away without him between a missed FG, a crap DC, and Jordan Love's impression of Brett Favre at SF. I get the Watson hype, but he can't stay healthy and some of you need to understand that we're better off trading him at this point unless he miraculously can stay healthy next year; I'm sorry, that's fact. *shrug*

As for the draft I too find much of it unrealistic though I like a fair amount of the players selected. Mims will be drafted by Pittsburgh if we don't trade up for him and we're not drafting a TE that high as much as I like Bowers. Flip Hicks and Hall around and this makes sense as far as value goes from there on out.

Can we stop mocking Cedric Gray to us? He's far too finesse for what Hafley is looking for at LB though that's not to say he'll fail in the pros - he's just not Hafley's type. To refresh everyone's memories, here are scouting reports for the three we've met:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/edgerrin-cooper/3200434f-4f53-5990-fc98-570859860963
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trevin-wallace/32005741-4c50-5176-62e5-ca60fedbd783
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ty-ron-hopper/3200484f-5064-0560-858f-6453d28a5167

Now here's Cedric Gray

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cedric-gray/32004752-4161-3330-dc0f-75cbcc511887

Note the first weakness listed by Zierlein vs. the others...

21 minutes ago, Rosser80 said:

First of all, the best ability is AVAILability. Watson doesn't have that and we were possibly a Super Bowl appearance away without him between a missed FG, a crap DC, and Jordan Love's impression of Brett Favre at SF. I get the Watson hype, but he can't stay healthy and some of you need to understand that we're better off trading him at this point unless he miraculously can stay healthy next year; I'm sorry, that's fact. *shrug*

lets hope Watson's can get some insight into the hamstring issues..... https://bap.ortho.wisc.edu/

some pretty well known and respected researchers in the field of running and hamstring injuries

39 minutes ago, Rosser80 said:

Can we stop mocking Cedric Gray to us? He's far too finesse for what Hafley is looking for at LB though that's not to say he'll fail in the pros - he's just not Hafley's type. To refresh everyone's memories, here are scouting reports for the three we've met:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/edgerrin-cooper/3200434f-4f53-5990-fc98-570859860963
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trevin-wallace/32005741-4c50-5176-62e5-ca60fedbd783
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ty-ron-hopper/3200484f-5064-0560-858f-6453d28a5167

Now here's Cedric Gray

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cedric-gray/32004752-4161-3330-dc0f-75cbcc511887

Note the first weakness listed by Zierlein vs. the others...

Eh, I think if you're drafting a linebacker that can't cover then you're drafting a linebacker that won't play. Gray's one of the best coverage LBs in the draft. Cooper can cover, but he's also gonna be gone way before #131. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReasonablySober said:

Eh, I think if you're drafting a linebacker that can't cover then you're drafting a linebacker that won't play. Gray's one of the best coverage LBs in the draft. Cooper can cover, but he's also gonna be gone way before #131. 

Agree, great coverage LB that is probably the best spy in the class.. poor mans Shaq Thompson.

4-3, The outside LBs need to cover and chase, not take on as many blockers as the 3-4.

when we run 4-3 Quay can move to SAM, McDuffie MIKE and Grey WILL

Quay is probably best suited over the TE

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-draft-sam-linebacker-prospect-rankings

With those 3 we could stay in Base or a 3-3-5 in a lot of passing situations.

Russ Ughlem even profiled him for the Packers today.

Edited by fattlipp
  • Like 1