Rob Gronkowski

Hunter2_1

Many of us were complaining that he wasn't the same player as before, that something happened to him in the off-season with his latest injury. People in gen went from saying that Gronk is a once-in-a-millenium type talent and mismatch at Tight End to proclaiming he wasn't even the best in the current NFL. I had my suspicions that he's the same Gronk, just that we've diversified the offense. His production was kept in touch by design.

The last two performances have proven that he is the same Gronk, absolutely. He's the same uncoverable animal, and if Brady feels like he needs to lean on him (2013-15 style) he can still do so. Last night was as good as the Bears, Colts, Bengals and Chiefs' performances of 2013, 14 and 15. If Brady wanted to feed him the ball 15 times per game, he could have. Games 1-13 this season were mostly low-key for Gronk, but I think that's due to playcalling rather than a drop off.

Do you agree? 

How far off is he from being the best player in the league?

It's tough to say who the best 'players' are, because each position is different and they all have varying levels of importance etc. But if we were doing what the NFL Network does, and tried to come up with a top 100 players list, irrespective of position, how far up would you have Gronk?

For me, the best PLAYERS transcend their position. They do more than their competitors. So;

1. JJ Watt: transcends his position because he does things that ought to be impossible. Like being as good as stuffing the run as he is at rushing the passer, swattng the amount of passes he does, taking on triple teams and not being embarrassed, commanding at least double teams all the time whilst still making ground.

2. Is one of Rodgers and Brady for me. One is supremely talented physically, the other is the most successful player of all time who controls everything

I think you could have Gronk close to this position? He transcends his position like no other before him. He's a key blocker, a total mismatch and a great athlete for his size with a wicked catch radius. He also (just about) understands the toughest playbook in the game, where has blocking responsibilities as well as route responsibilities. 

He's the best non-QB in the league. He positively impacts the game like no other. Whether he touches the ball or not. I've seen film of four defenders accounting for him, and nominal teammates being wide open or in easy one on one matchups as a result. You can put him anywhere on the field. A mismatch nightmare, not just for himself but for the benefit of all of his teammates. Too fast for a backer. Too big for a corner. Incredible run blocker. The last drive yesterday was just a nice and evident example of what he is. Huge catch down the seam. Huge catch again down the seam. Huge catch plucking the ball centimetres off of the ground. Seal block on a key d-lineman to spring the TD run. Two pointer converted on a play in which he has his two key routes essentially covered.

He is a freak. The best Tight End of all time, in terms of dominant talent and impact, easily. Gonzo has the fantastic longevity, but Rob Gronkowski is the best to ever play the position.

16 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

I don't think it's that we've diversified our offense.  I think it's just that Brady and Belichick know they need to get him through the regular season healthy.

I was pondering whether it's this, or just a change of offense. I went with a change, focusing on keeping Gronk as a blocker and opening up receiving options like Cooks and Hogan. I think under man conditions, it gets rolled back to pro-Gronk. Or maybe he's just the only one Brady feels comfortable with under man conditions.

10 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

He's the best non-QB in the league. He positively impacts the game like no other. Whether he touches the ball or not. I've seen film of four defenders accounting for him, and nominal teammates being wide open or in easy one on one matchups as a result. You can put him anywhere on the field. A mismatch nightmare, not just for himself but for the benefit of all of his teammates. Too fast for a backer. Too big for a corner. Incredible run blocker. The last drive yesterday was just a nice and evident example of what he is. Huge catch down the seam. Huge catch again down the seam. Huge catch plucking the ball centimetres off of the ground. Seal block on a key d-lineman to spring the TD run. Two pointer converted on a play in which he has his two key routes essentially covered.

He is a freak. The best Tight End of all time, in terms of dominant talent and impact, easily. Gonzo has the fantastic longevity, but Rob Gronkowski is the best to ever play the position.

Couldn't ever have put it any better

2 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

I don't think it's that we've diversified our offense.  I think it's just that Brady and Belichick know they need to get him through the regular season healthy.

When there have been big spots (3rd down/red zone) Patriots have gone to him a lot.  The first/second down plays seem to have been cut down and those long seam routes seem to have become decoy routes unless Brady sees him wide open and without a safety looming.   They also seem to run him on those routes less too.   More routes to the side lines and away from the center to prevent him having a dirty missile coming in ala TJ Ward and ending our season.

Last night was the first time all season I thought they really took the bubble wrap off and said "we have to win this game, no restrictions" and no surprise, Gronk looked like a monster again.

Couldn't agree more and is this exactly what I came here to post. It seems like last night they really took the training wheels off him. 

Gronk is the GOAT. Mismatch nightmare, incredible hands for someone his size and a monster blocking.

51 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

His celebrations Thursday were amazing. The first down signal when he was laying down and him laughing in the defenders face after the 2PT conversion were peak Gronk.

He's the closest thing to a transformer the NFL has. Look at him! lol

Archived