Across the Pond Mock

Without tooting my own horn last year I got LVN, Musgrave, Kraft, this year, I feel way less certain of who the Packers will take down to the nature of this draft.

If we stay at pick 25 I feel Barton has Packers written all over him in the same way that LVN did last year. He reminds me of Peter Skoronski from last year who went 11th and who we were rumoured to be interested in.

The following I’m pretty certain will be gone by the time the Packers pick in no particular order:
Harrison, Williams, Nabers, Bowers, Daniels, Maye, Penix, Latu, Verse, Tuner, McCarthy, Thomas Jr, Joe Alt, Fashanu, Latham, Fuaga, Fautanu, Arnold, Mitchell, DeJean

I’m convinced DeJean will go before 25 just because he’ll be seen as the top safety.

That’s 20 players there. These 4 will form the next group and we might have the crack at one of these if something unexpected happens….:
Mims, Wiggins, Newton, Murphy

After that we are looking at the following:
Barton, Guyton, Morgan, JPJ, Kool-Aid

Gute liking but not loving these options receives a call from the Phins, they are in a win now mode and see an interior Oline guy that they love in Barton, they offer Pick 55, and next years 1st rounder. This is too tempting for Gute, to have two 1st rounders in 2025, when the draft is in Green Bay.

Green Bay now have picks 41, 55 and 58 in the second round.

With Barton gone the following players are getting drafted: Guyton, Morgan, JPJ, Chop, Thomas Jr, Nix, Mitchell, Franklin, Kool-Aid, Wiggins, Rakestraw, McConkey, Worthy

Gute is back on the phone and calls the Panthers, they agree a trade which sends the Dolphins pick that we just acquired #55, plus our pick 88 in the 3rd for pick 39.

And with the 39 pick the Green Bay Packers go against all their tendencies and draft a player of a non-premium positional value, who has an injury history and is an old rookie to boot, they take Payton Wilson!!!! My mock, my rules

And just like that the Packers are back on the clock with pick 41 they acquired from the Jets for a former QB whose name I forget. They need a Safety and they take the best true Safety in the draft with Tyler Nubin!!!

Back on the clock again with pick 58, they go BPA and find a player that could have gone at the end of the 1st round, an athletic freak, they go for OL depth with Kingsley Suamataia, he can play both Tackle spots and gives the Packers that insurance and if they want the ability to kick Tom inside.

While the Packers originally had two 3rd rounders in close succession to each other, knowing how bad we are in the 3rd round and having traded away one to move up in the 2nd we now only have pick 91. With that pick the greatest team in the world take another athletic freak in Maason Smith, DT from LSU!!!

Now moving into the 4th round, the Packers want to address their need for a change of pace back and the value is there, with pick 126 they take a high RAS guy with Will Shipley, RB from Clemson, please just don’t fumble!!!

After this pick Gute loses his draft notes and the big board burns down and we are not quite sure what happens.

Recap:
Wilson ILB
Nubin S
Suamataia OT
Smith DT
Shipley RB
And don’t forget a 2025 1st rounder

I feel this year is much harder to predict than any other year. No players I really love, a lot of good not great prospects. Anyway can't wait, and buying my plane tickets for Green Bay 2025 asap!!!! See you then wankers!!!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

You may not like it but if the draft falls that way, it’s not a bad way to go. Maybe a different ILB but I could totally live with this if the draft fell this way. 

Sorry, I disagree.  Suamataia is the best pick and still leaves us with a lot of problems.  It would be very disappointing to go in with 11 picks and walk away like this.

Surprised to see this strategy from a person touting that the next 2 years are the Packers window.

3 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Sorry, I disagree.  Suamataia is the best pick and still leaves us with a lot of problems.  It would be very disappointing to go in with 11 picks and walk away like this.

Surprised to see this strategy from a person touting that the next 2 years are the Packers window.

Partially I'm taking the piss but from the point of not filling need I think we have filled them, I have gone for positions that plug holes on our team.

We need ILB starter/depth, we need a Safety starter, we need a swing tackle, we need a change of pace RB. DL is probably not needed over IOL starter/depth. But here I'm playing with the idea that Tom slides inside if Sua is any good.

Genuinely interested which problems do you feel have not been addressed with these 5 picks? Apart from the positions taken I don't see other holes in our team.

4 hours ago, hitnhope said:

P.S I'm not saying the next two years IS THE Packers window, it is that the window for the next 2 years is A UNICORN for how cheap the offence will be, accounting for about 20% of cap. None of our competitors have a cap for offence that cheap. Once that expires our competitive advantage will be similar to that of our competitors where the offence cost will be around 50% of cap and that will be spent on QB, RB, re-signing at least one OT maybe 2, re-signing a couple of WRs and at least one TE if not both. While at the same time we'll have to let talent walk out of the door and hope we can replace it with draft picks, and even if we do it won't be cheap as it is over the next two years as we would have naturally re-resigned some of our own.

So there!!!!

It's a decent way to go, but there is real risk in Wilson (multiple surgeries), Nubin (Speed and RAS in general), Shipley (lighter build and ball security are questions) and Maason Smith (durability and production in 2023).

While Gute will take some risks, this looks like an all-in draft, with a high ceiling (if it works out) and a low floor (if the questions on players come to pass).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

IMO .. if the Packers trade away their 1st rounder for this year, they need more in the trade package.  A pick next year vs this year loses value and they are getting a low 2nd rounder this year .. not enough, especially if the other team "wants" somebody that badly.  I do like the moving around with all the draft picks they have this year especially if they like somebody in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.   

8 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Partially I'm taking the piss but from the point of not filling need I think we have filled them, I have gone for positions that plug holes on our team.

We need ILB starter/depth, we need a Safety starter, we need a swing tackle, we need a change of pace RB. DL is probably not needed over IOL starter/depth. But here I'm playing with the idea that Tom slides inside if Sua is any good.

Genuinely interested which problems do you feel have not been addressed with these 5 picks? Apart from the positions taken I don't see other holes in our team.

Sua needs a lot of work before he is ready to play.  Don't think he solves the backup issue in the short term.  Nice long term potential.

Wilson carries too high an injury risk IMO.  I know its only my opinion.

Nubin doesn't solve anything.  He simply doesn't move well enough to fit the need at safety.

Shipley is OK, but he is a very limited role player right now.  Probably not a huge issue with Jacobs, but don't think he can be the fill in for any duration if Jacobs gets hurt.

I really like the thought process on this one.  I question some of the selections, but I do find the thought process interesting.

I could actually live with that draft haul, too.  Doesn't blow me away, but it covers some needs nicely.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Sua needs a lot of work before he is ready to play.  Don't think he solves the backup issue in the short term.  Nice long term potential.

Wilson carries too high an injury risk IMO.  I know its only my opinion.

Nubin doesn't solve anything.  He simply doesn't move well enough to fit the need at safety.

Shipley is OK, but he is a very limited role player right now.  Probably not a huge issue with Jacobs, but don't think he can be the fill in for any duration if Jacobs gets hurt.

Fair points which I won't disagree with.

I feel the biggest needs we have in order are:

1) Safety, we have Xavier and really no one else. If DeJean is not there at 25, we could pick one of the best of the rest at 41, guys I've seen are: Nubin, Bullard and Kinchens. None of these are great athletes but they are next best-rated. I'm not sure who else you got? There are guys later on like Bishop and Taylor Demerson, who could be had in the 3rd which are more RAS dudes. I actually think we'll double dip here, if we don't maybe an FA will come in, there is still plenty on the market.

2) LB, we have Quay and McDuff and really nothing behind them. Sometimes we might want 3 LBs on the field as well, desperately need depth here if either gets injured. The FA market is dry so this is also a major need that needs to be addressed in the draft. Not much choice though, Cooper and Wilson are the top two and then we have a few mid round guys: Colson, Trotter, Gray, Eichenberg. The pickings are thin, that's why I think you need to go early here with one. 

3) OL depth, worst case we have our 5 starters if Rhyan is the RG, but behind them there is nothing. While this is not a desperate need, I could live with taking picks in the 4th round and beyond and throw as many darts as possible to find two or three backups. Only reason I'm taking an Oline early really is to replace Rhyan as a starter, however, the value of BPA might be there early in the draft and you end up taking one. Barton for me is the most likely pick.

4) RB depth, not a pressing need, but you need something different. We have the big bodies backs, we are missing a great pass catcher, quick hitter type. Not a major need, could pick up someone in the 4th round onwards. 

CB and DL depth is not major, nice to bring in more bodies, so I could see that happen from the 5th round onwards.

As of today I would realistically go:
1st round Barton
2nd round (41) Cooper or Wilson if they last
2nd round, (58) Cole Bishop (might be a slight reach on him in the 2nd)
In the 3rd round I would take another Safety and best RB available.
Then go hard with IOL/OT, DL and CB with the remaining picks to see if anything sticks.

54 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Fair points which I won't disagree with.

I feel the biggest needs we have in order are:

1) Safety, we have Xavier and really no one else. If DeJean is not there at 25, we could pick one of the best of the rest at 41, guys I've seen are: Nubin, Bullard and Kinchens. None of these are great athletes but they are next best-rated. I'm not sure who else you got? There are guys later on like Bishop and Taylor Demerson, who could be had in the 3rd which are more RAS dudes. I actually think we'll double dip here, if we don't maybe an FA will come in, there is still plenty on the market.

2) LB, we have Quay and McDuff and really nothing behind them. Sometimes we might want 3 LBs on the field as well, desperately need depth here if either gets injured. The FA market is dry so this is also a major need that needs to be addressed in the draft. Not much choice though, Cooper and Wilson are the top two and then we have a few mid round guys: Colson, Trotter, Gray, Eichenberg. The pickings are thin, that's why I think you need to go early here with one. 

3) OL depth, worst case we have our 5 starters if Rhyan is the RG, but behind them there is nothing. While this is not a desperate need, I could live with taking picks in the 4th round and beyond and throw as many darts as possible to find two or three backups. Only reason I'm taking an Oline early really is to replace Rhyan as a starter, however, the value of BPA might be there early in the draft and you end up taking one. Barton for me is the most likely pick.

4) RB depth, not a pressing need, but you need something different. We have the big bodies backs, we are missing a great pass catcher, quick hitter type. Not a major need, could pick up someone in the 4th round onwards. 

CB and DL depth is not major, nice to bring in more bodies, so I could see that happen from the 5th round onwards.

As of today I would realistically go:
1st round Barton
2nd round (41) Cooper or Wilson if they last
2nd round, (58) Cole Bishop (might be a slight reach on him in the 2nd)
In the 3rd round I would take another Safety and best RB available.
Then go hard with IOL/OT, DL and CB with the remaining picks to see if anything sticks.

I agree with most of this.  I like Javon Bullard more than you seem to.    We need to address Safety, OL, and LB.   Hoping a higher level OL like Barton/Fautanu lasts for round 1, Cooper lasts till pick 41, and Bullard is there at 58.  This would be ideal IMO.   So we align pretty well with the post i am responding to.

If Cooper is gone at 41 then I would look to Colson as the next man up if we can work it somehow.   

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No real horse in this race, but, in regards to Cooper vs. Colson.....

I think Colson fits us better and perhaps we can take him a little later than Cooper.  I see a very good Mike in Colson.

I don't know much about Colson, from the little I heard he sounds like a two down thumper type. Is he good?

7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I don't know much about Colson, from the little I heard he sounds like a two down thumper type. Is he good?

Depends on how you define "good".

He isn't the plus athlete that Cooper (and Quay) are.

But he is very smart, very good tackler.  Leader.  And he hasn't played a lot of ball yet.  The best of him is still yet to come.

I think he's more than a 2 down thumper, but I can freely admit that he doesn't look like, or test like the athlete that is Cooper is (and Quay).  Seems like a very good compliment to them, though.

• Like 1