2024 Draft Discussion

40 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Thoughts on Darius Robinson? Mizzou guy, athletic. 

lord knows Spagz loves a tweener, and he could be there at 32

Love that dude. He's a guy I'll shout out in my defense part 

47 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Thoughts on Darius Robinson? Mizzou guy, athletic. 

lord knows Spagz loves a tweener, and he could be there at 32

That dude is a full load! What I've seen of him he's a man amongst boys out there. 

3 hours ago, TedLavie said:

I will try to go position by position for those who don't keep track of the draft stuff as much. 

QB

I think it's a deep class with 6 prospects worth a top 50 pick but it doesn't really matter to us.

HB

I'm laughably bad at evaluating RBs so I will let @RedGoldexpand on this. Consensus seems to be this is a fairly weak class with a lot of guys that can have a role in an offense but aside from maybe Brooks from UT, Benson from FSU and possibly Corum from Michigan, not a lot of guys that can be the main guys. I do like Benson a lot, think he popped whenever I watched FSU tape.

WR

I think this is the best WR class I've ever evaluated. I don't have my BB in front of me but I think I have 17 guys worth a day 2 pick at least. My top 4 is the same than the consensus but I think Brian Thomas Jr is closer to the top 3 than most think. If we trade up for someone, I think he would be the guy. Behind that a lot of guys can start in any offense but they are a little more role specific. 

Guys I like more than the consensus : Troy Franklin, Malik Washington, Tahj Washington, Decorian Clark, Bub Means 

Guys I like less than the conseus : Keon Coleman, Brenden Rice, Corley, Jamari Thrash

TE

Bowers is clearly the top guy and out of reach for us. After that it's a weak class. I do like Ben Sinnott a lot : KSU guy so some will be familiar with him. Great hands, fluid route runner, smart and tough. Started as an H-back so he knows how to block in space. I don't know he'll ever be a star but I think he's a 10 year starter in the NFL. You have some in-line TE with athletic limitations (Stover, Riemann), some receiving TEs who can't block inline (Sanders, Bell, Holker) and some raw prospects (Theo Johnson, Wiley) 

OT

I think it's a very strong and deep RT class. Joe Alt is amazing, my #1 prospect overall, but he's out of reach for us. Fashanu is the other projected LT but his run blocking is limited. Fuaga is the opposite, a road grader at RT but lacks length and anchor in pass pro to be a LT in the NFL. Those guys are going in the tens anyway. 

Prospect we could trade up for : Faetanu: his tape isn't the cleanest but dude is a brawler. Super versatile too he can play both guard and tackle positions I think. He's my #2 prospect in the class 

Mims: extremely talented tackle who didn't see the field much because of injuries. He's inexperienced but not raw either. Just a massive health concern 

Latham : he's heavy. When he gets his hands on you, it's over. I do question his ability to handle speed rushers in the NFL so he may be a RT. I can't get DJ Fluker out of my head as a player comp, which isn't flattering, but I do think he has a lot of upside. Weight control is going to be a challenge with him

There are others guys that are listed as tackles but are likely to be played inside in the NFL (Morgan, Barton, Puni, maybe Rosengarten, Coleman) 

At #32 or #64 we can take a shot at rawer prospects with developmental upside: Guyton, Suiamata, Patrick Paul, the Yale kid (dude is on my BDL team and I can't ever remember his name). I wouldn't take any at 32 but trade back in the mid 2nd? Why not. 

iOL

A big part of the interior OL class is the converted tackles. Morgan is a name I see mocked to us here and there but to me he's not a LT and we aren't using a 1st round pick on a G or a RT. 

We aren't going to look at the top of the iOL class (JPJ from Oregon, Frazier from WVU, Haynes from Uconn) which works out because it's not a strong group. I think depth can be found on the later rounds however to replace Allegretti and potentially Smith who's a FA next year. From top of my head : Coleman from TCU, the Michigan guys (mainly Zinter at G, Nugent at C), Adams from Illinois. 

I will do defense later, possibly tomorrow 

Great post broski, this is what I was hoping the thread would turn into. I now have some homework to do 🤜🤛

• Like 1

RB - Will Shipley, Clemson; Versatile receiving threat, 2nd or 3rd rd.

WR - M.Corley; Tenacious blocker; Andy Reid will love this, 2nd or 3rd. rd

- Javon Baker, 3rd.rd.or so WR, former Alabama player; works way back to the ball, speed variance to separate,   good routes, plus ball tracking

Edge- Darius Robinson; 35" arms, alignment versatility., 1st or 2nd rd.

Edited by mayanfootball
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TedLavie said:

I will try to go position by position for those who don't keep track of the draft stuff as much. 

Alright the defense part 1. Secondary is a longer thing so I will wait to have my board in front of me. 

Edge

There's a clear top 5 at edge. Dallas Turner is probably a top 10 pick. I have Verse going to Chicago at 9 but if he doesn't he could fall to the late tens. After that you have three guys who could be there at 32 or close. Latu is the most highly viewed of the 3, very skilled rusher but he can get washed up against the run, he has injury concerns and is an OK athlete. Chop Robinson is very raw but he's a great athlete. Problem is aside from winning by pure athleticism he didn't show much in college so high boom or bust potential. Darius Robinson is the 5th guy. He's a bigger guy, kind of Cam Jordan profil in that he's big but also very athletic for his size. I do think he has a lot of upside but bottom line is : we pay 8mil a year to Danna and we picked FAU in the 1st last year - I don't think we go edge in the first.

So we need to look at the tier 2 of edge rushers and there's a big drop off here. Isaac Adisa, Marshall Kneeland, Chris Braswell or Branden Trice are the guys there but I don't think either of them have a big ceiling - we're talking here about guys who could basically play the Danna role imho. Tier 3 is severely undersized but productive guys who at best become Shaq Barrett but are unlikely to amount much: Elliss, Mo Kamara, the Murphys, Jalen Green... One guy who I think would be a good fit is Justin Eboigbe: another bigger guy, little pass rush upside but he could be an anchor on running downs and should be available Day 3. Overall I think it's a weak edge class

Int 

It's more a one tech class so I will go quickly here as I think we're unlikely to go after Murphy, Newton, Fiske, Hall, Wingo or Ruke. To find the right guy next to CJ I think you have to look at the 3rd round with two guys : T'Vondre Sweat and Maason Smith. Sweat is a mammoth of a man but, for a guy his size, he offers some pass rush ability too, though in limited capacity. Problem is he's very immature and there are a lot of doubts that he can keep his weight under control. Maason Smith was a highly rated recruit in LSU, tore his acl and just came back at 100%. He's a developmental project but with a lot of upside, I'd love to get him end of 3rd but maybe he goes higher than that. After that you got more limited or raw guys in Day 3

Off ball LB

There's no way around it, it's a weaker class. Bolton being a FA next year and Gay being gone means that we need to look at guys there regardless, but I don't think we'll find someone to start down the road there past the top 3 guys. Those guys are Cooper, Wilson and Colson and I think 32 is too rich for them and they are likely to go before 64. Cedric Gray is maybe the one guy I could see being a target in Round 3. His tape is a bit up and down but he has shouldered a lot of coverage responsabilities in UNC and there's value to that. 

One sleeper guy I like is Tyrece Knight for UTEP. Round 5 or 6 guy but instinctive and good athlete. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Brian Thomas reminds me a lot of MVS. But like a good and consistent version lol. He can track the football and make a catch without fighting the football. He should get plenty open in our system.

Thomas does one thing MVS could never do consistently. Catches the football with his hands. You don’t see the ball come to his body nearly as often.

9 hours ago, TedLavie said:

From top of my head : Coleman from TCU, the Michigan guys (mainly Zinter at G, Nugent at C), Adams from Illinois. 

Now some might call me a homer, but don’t sleep on Cooper Beebe either.  Guy played G/LT/RT in multiple games last year.

2 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Darius Robinson is the 5th guy. He's a bigger guy, kind of Cam Jordan profil in that he's big but also very athletic for his size. I do think he has a lot of upside but bottom line is : we pay 8mil a year to Danna and we picked FAU in the 1st last year - I don't think we go edge in the first.

I think if we brought in Robinson he’d play more inside and bounce outside similar to Jones.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Thomas does one thing MVS could never do consistently. Catches the football with his hands. You don’t see the ball come to his body nearly as often.

Uh, Brian Thomas is a total body catcher. He can pluck it too but yeah he lets that thing in Instead of extending a lot.

8 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Now some might call me a homer, but don’t sleep on Cooper Beebe either.  Guy played G/LT/RT in multiple games last year.

I like Beebe a lot yes. But him and Mahogany, who I also forgot in my post, are likely gone by pick 95.

8 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think if we brought in Robinson he’d play more inside and bounce outside similar to Jones.

I doubt it given that we have Jones haha. But yeah that's definitely the profile, another team will probably do that

9 hours ago, TedLavie said:

like Beebe a lot yes. But him and Mahogany, who I also forgot in my post, are likely gone by pick 95.

17 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Depending on how where things play out, I’m not against spending 64 on him, or if we’d trade back from 64 into top of the third and he’s still there.  My gut tells me his versatility still gets him picked in round 2.  Was borderline tons one at the start of the draft process, didn’t crush the numbers at the combine, but if you watch the tape he checks out.

Xavier Leggette in for a top-30 visit!

Annual reminder that we draft at least one guy we talk to at the combine or top-30. They’re a big part of the evaluation process and can really sway us one way or the other on a guy.

1 hour ago, RedGold said:

Fwiw.  Veach has never taken a college senior in the 1st round.   That’s one trend I think is valid when seeing what happens in the 1st round.  

True, 22 is the sweet spot. But there’s always exceptions, we took Rice pretty early and he was 23, but that was in the second. Could be looking at X the same way