2024 Draft Discussion

59 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

True, 22 is the sweet spot. But there’s always exceptions, we took Rice pretty early and he was 23, but that was in the second. Could be looking at X the same way 

I think the X.  Is more,  what if he drops to 64.   Or if we like him enough,  let’s drop down some and select him.      I think he fits perfectly into what we want and need.    He’s too much for 32,  let’s just collect more info if we like him enough to drop down some and still have him be our first selection.

Could be nothing,  but could see it.   I like what he brings in Reid’s offense though

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

True, 22 is the sweet spot. But there’s always exceptions, we took Rice pretty early and he was 23, but that was in the second. Could be looking at X the same way 

Please sweet baby Jesus let us get Leggette and see an interview with him, Mahomes and Trav trying to keep his stuff together with those two voices!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedGold said:

Fwiw.  Veach has never taken a college senior in the 1st round.   That’s one trend I think is valid when seeing what happens in the 1st round.  

Struggling to find it again, but someone made a chart that showed average age of drafted players by current FOs, and Veach had the second youngest set of draft classes. Think Cleveland was the only team who drafted younger. It's definitely something he considers heavily.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Struggling to find it again, but someone made a chart that showed average age of drafted players by current FOs, and Veach had the second youngest set of draft classes. Think Cleveland was the only team who drafted younger. It's definitely something he considers heavily.

If you want to go a step further.  I don’t think he’s ever drafted a college senior with his first pick in any draft.      Nick Bolton had me questioning, but the Covid year was weird.  Technically he was a senior(maybe), but he was still young.

Again, just words at this point.   But it’s a trend I, truly, think holds weight with the first pick. 

Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia; is a Junior, which is important since this fact was highlighted recently in a posted fact that Brett Veach has always drafted a non-senior with KC's 1st rd. pick.

I like him for all accomplishments. He can run 4.39/40. He's strong (13 reps of 220lbs). He's got route polish, with crisp cuts. Natural hands-catcher who typically plucks it away from his body.

He gets a combine 90 score (5th WR) for athleticism.

I've watched his tape and see a man who is a natural, possession type receiver. I would be quite happy if KC drafts him 1st.

Edited by mayanfootball
  • Like 1

Me and Ted have discussed draft quite a bit,  but I think I’m rounding my top 4 into this equation. 

Trade up - Nate Wiggins
Stay - Tyler Guyton 
Stay - Adonai Mitchell
Trade Back - Troy Franklin

Mitchell and Guyton likely go before, but I don’t like them enough to trade up.   Any below Mitchell or Guyton isn’t worth 32,  and neither of them is worth trading up. 

Would love a trade back for 2025 draft capital, more ammo to trade with our 1st and Sneed 3rd to get into the mid teens next year. 

16 hours ago, RedGold said:

Fwiw.  Veach has never taken a college senior in the 1st round.   That’s one trend I think is valid when seeing what happens in the 1st round.  

It's more than that. Veach has a consistent pattern of preferring youth as an element in his analysis. As a team, the Chiefs believe and put great effort into player development.

@TedLavie - I have been the lone voice saying this, but I seriously think that DE is a possible 1st round pick. It's Spagnuolo trait to stockpile his player type. How much weight that has in the war room is a different question. A lot depends on how much weight they are willing to put on FAU this season.

The board matters. If Darius Robinson--who is a bit of a tweener--is on the board at #32 then they might take him. If Chop falls into the mid-20s, they might trade up 5-7 picks. If either scenario takes place it's likely because there was a run on OT and/or WR. In the end, value matters.

14 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I have been the lone voice saying this, but I seriously think that DE is a possible 1st round pick. It's Spagnuolo trait to stockpile his player type.

There’s a reason, nobody is arguing we can’t use depth at the position. But considering we have 2 first round picks, we just brought back another guy at 8m a year, adding a 3rd frost round pick, ON TOP of the 3 main players we have for two positions seems like a luxury when we have positions of immediate need.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 5:58 PM, Jakuvious said:

I posted I’ll find it 

23 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

There’s a reason, nobody is arguing we can’t use depth at the position. But considering we have 2 first round picks, we just brought back another guy at 8m a year, adding a 3rd frost round pick, ON TOP of the 3 main players we have for two positions seems like a luxury when we have positions of immediate need.

It's not the most likely but I keep it on the list as reasonable possibilities.

If, as one analyst suggests, 7 OT go in the first round I can see us taking the 5th or 6th Edge. 

Yeah tbh I’ve never said Edge isn’t an option, but it’s far from a need.  And I don’t necessarily like Chop… or this edge class in general.   There’s  no reason to trade up unless one of the top 3 drop, and that’s unlikely.  

I’m still on board with dropping out of the 1st and picking up more capital for next year.  Pick up an extra 3rd next year,  so we can use the additional 2 3rd’s to move up and select an elite prospect in 2025. 

There’s not much difference between the 26th-45th range this year imo. 

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

Yeah tbh I’ve never said Edge isn’t an option, but it’s far from a need.  And I don’t necessarily like Chop… or this edge class in general.   There’s  no reason to trade up unless one of the top 3 drop, and that’s unlikely.  

I’m still on board with dropping out of the 1st and picking up more capital for next year.  Pick up an extra 3rd next year,  so we can use the additional 2 3rd’s to move up and select an elite prospect in 2025. 

There’s not much difference between the 26th-45th range this year imo. 

You are unusual. Most of these guys are saying that it's completely off the table.

35 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

You are unusual. Most of these guys are saying that it's completely off the table.

Idk if that’s true at all.  I think most, myself included,  just overreacted to saying it’s a #1 need.    Because it’s not a need.   But is it something we could look at,  for sure.   
I’m perfectly okay with giving FAU the bulk of the snaps despite his year 1 because 1)he was blocked from PT because guys were actually producing ahead of him 2) we need to see what he can (or can’t do)   3)  Regardless of what happens with FAU we have Omenihu coming back for the only portion of the season I really care about.

We have everyone back from the Super Bowl, plus a talented Omenihu coming back for the stretch run.  Danna, George, FAU, Herring, plus Jones sliding in a some pass rushing downs can hold the fort till we get Omenihu back.     If we can get someone in the mid/late rounds that can challenge Thompson,   And replace Omenihu/Herring next year is what I would hope for.     

I dont think finding a guy to replace an Omenihu/Herring,   Is as important as finding a replacement for Kelce or finding a future LT though.    As I’ve said many times before, the need for a WR is to replace what Kelce brings.     We don’t have many immediate needs,  but WR/LT are the main 2 imo.   After that,  honestly you could go a multitude of different directions and I could see the vision.    

And I could even see going another direction in the 1st if the right guy isn’t there at those spots,    because we are mainly drafting for future production.       But I wouldn’t agree at all  that edge is actually a need that we need to target aggressively.

Edited by RedGold
  • Like 2

7 OT, 5 QB, 5 Edge, 5 WR, 3 CB, 1 IOL 

So you have maybe 2/3 DT, maybe another DB and another WR.

Wish we would have brought Worthy in for a top 30, forcing someone that wants him to jump early. The Xfactor here is the QB/OT ratio, if they both run early we could see very good players slide. I really like Brian Thomas and he’s about the only non Tackle I’d trade up for, but the big tackles won’t fall within reach.