1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

an EXCELLENT write up from Kevin Seifert about the drafting of McCarthy, his pre-Draft evaluation, and post draft plans of the team for him:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40534444/inside-vikings-move-kirk-cousins-jj-mccarthy

McCarthy will be ready, O'Connell said, when "the comfort level that he has within our offense and his ability to then translate it to adverse situations and difficult aspects of playing quarterback in the NFL aren't magnified by inexperience."

"But I want to be very clear that the expectation is for this player to not be perfect. He's going to have growing pains, he's going to learn on the fly. I'm not trying to remove that aspect of it, either, but deciding when he will play is not something you can write up on a board. It's a feeling."

@Dr A W Niloc, i think you would enjoy this ESPN writeup. Lengthy, detailed, informative, very well composed.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

McCarthy later said the Vikings' inhouse interview experience was a significant part of why he considered Minnesota his top potential destination:

"It was the way O'Connell presents the install. The way he compartmentalizes everything about how to look at this play individually and how to make it more relatable to what your knowledge is and how you can smoothly and efficiently step into this playbook."

"That was something that was truly unique because you go around to so many defensive coaches like [Washington's] Dan Quinn and [New England's] Jerod Mayo, and being able to have that relationship as former QB and current QB, it's truly special and it means a lot."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40534444/inside-vikings-move-kirk-cousins-jj-mccarthy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

So did he get everything up front?

Caleb Williams' contract, worth $39.545 million in all, was indeed signed on Wednesday, July 17. The full signing bonus must be paid within 15 days.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/inside-the-caleb-williams-deal

if Williams got his bonus upfront, then JJ probably will too.

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

@Dr A W Niloc, i think you would enjoy this ESPN writeup. Lengthy, detailed, informative, very well composed.

Very well written indeed!

Now that J.J. McCarthy has signed (for $21.85M plus a $12.71M signing bonus) I assume he'll be "promoted" to the starter soon.  (I think bridge QBs are antiquated and McCarthy isn't the nervous type who might benefit from one.) 

I don't know if I'll get around to posting it but the statistical analysis I'm looking at suggests the Vikes will vie for the last wild card spot with Chicago.  Both GMs have done well.  The Bears may have a slight edge in talent on paper.  Suffice it to say I have more faith in Kevin O'Connell than Matt Eberflus.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Very well written indeed!

i knew you would appreciate the research and composition.

42 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Now that J.J. McCarthy has signed (for $21.85M plus a $12.71M signing bonus) I assume he'll be "promoted" to the starter soon.  

what does "soon" mean to you? within four games? eight?

O'Connell, who is not one to play bs games with the media and who pretty much controls the decision, has stated he's in no hurry.

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i knew you would appreciate the research and composition.

O'Connell, who is not one to play bs games with the media and who pretty much controls the decision, has stated he's in no hurry.

Before week one...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

"Soon" as in within a few weeks, well before week #1.  Darnold was never a serious option.

I agree with you about O'Connell but the reason he wasn't in a hurry to install J.J. McCarthy was, in large part, because the front office was negotiating his contract.  You don't promote a guy while you're haggling over his salary.

1 minute ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

"Soon" as in within a few weeks, well before week #1.  Darnold was never a serious option.

I agree with you about O'Connell but the reason he wasn't in a hurry to install J.J. McCarthy was, in large part, because the front office was negotiating his contract.  You don't promote a guy while you're haggling over his salary.

interesting take. we shall see....

other than, my friend... McCarthy's salary was set, as the #10 pick. the terms to discuss that could be negotiated were less important than the actual amount, of which there was no haggling.

Edited by vike daddy

6 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I agree. If you listen to players talking about McCarthy, they always say whatever about McCarthy and then say oh yeah we have Sam as well. Darnold is an after thought.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jofos said:

Before week one...

naughty, naughty... you didn't read the article, you didn't read the assigned homework...

Vikings Head Coach Kevin O'Connell brings scar tissue to the job of developing McCarthy. As Washington's offensive coordinator in 2019, O'Connell had a front seat to the franchise's botched work with first-round draft pick Dwayne Haskins. Despite initial plans to take a methodical approach to his development, coach Jay Gruden put Haskins on the field in Week 4 -- long before he was ready. Haskins struggled for two seasons, was released in 2021 and spent his final NFL season as the Steelers' No. 3 quarterback. (Haskins died in April 2022 after being struck by a truck in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)

"When we selected him, we had a lot of confidence in what he could become under the right circumstances and development and timetable," O'Connell said, "and that didn't exactly end up being the mindset just a few short months later."

you think after O'Connell was involved in drafting a first round QB and helped draw up a development plan that was then scrapped by the head coach only to see the player crash and burn, he'll do just that again...?

Edited by vike daddy

11 minutes ago, jofos said:

I agree. If you listen to players talking about McCarthy, they always say whatever about McCarthy and then say oh yeah we have Sam as well. Darnold is an after thought.

Harrison Phillips: "I'm extremely optimistic about the moves they've made. I don't know how the whole thing is going to come to a conclusion, but I think we are going to win a lot of football games with Sam as the captain of the ship. The veterans here are going to be like, 'Yeah, we're going to roll with this.' People have confidence in the moves they've made."