1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

Vikings quarterback J.J. McCarthy says he’s doing his best to stay positive after a preseason meniscus tear will cause him to miss his entire rookie season.

McCarthy: “It’s tough. It’s kind of a kick in the balls. But you take everything life throws at you and find the positive, good or bad. I want to thank all the fans for all the love I’ve received for the last couple weeks.”

McCarthy said that he didn’t realize during during the preseason game when he suffered the injury that anything was wrong, and he’s still not sure exactly when in the game he tore his meniscus. Only the day after the game, when his knee started to buckle when walking downstairs, did it occur to him he needed to get the knee checked out.

The Vikings had him do an exploratory surgery and told him when he woke up from the surgery he’d know how serious it was based on whether they had put his knee in a brace. He said he was “shocked” when he woke up with his knee braced and doctors told him it was a season-ending injury.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/j-j-mccarthy-on-missing-the-season-its-tough-its-kind-of-a-kick-in-the-balls

He acknowledged initial disappointment ("there was profanity") upon waking up and realizing he'd required a full repair. But the 21-year-old has focused on maintaining an upbeat mindset.

McCarthy: "You know, it's tough, but you know what, you take everything that life throws at you, good or bad, and you find the positive in it.  I feel like I've been able to gain those deeper connections with my teammates and really take a step back and learn the offense in a more relaxed state of mind. I'm just appreciating every moment."

"It was tough, that initial week of just understanding, you know, 'I'm going to be out for a while.' But I'm not going to sit here and sulk and think, 'Woe is me' and worry about the past. I'm just going to focus on how I can better in other ways in my life. And that's what I've been doing every single day, and I'm seeing a lot of growth in a lot of different areas. I'm just attacking it each day, and that's what I'm worried about."

vikings.com

50 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think I speak for all, that the Vikings’ media team needs to make some of the go pro footage available for fans to see. 

the footage from avoiding a sack, scrambling, and then completing a long pass downfield would be exciting.