Detroit selects at #24: Terrion Arnold, CB Alabama

General Tso

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

I give it a higher B+.  KC essentially trading up similar and giving up a 3rd and getting a 4th back probably pushed this from A- to B+ for me.  That those of draft value was a bit much for me.

Still like the player though.

I feel like you grade pretty hard, which there is nothing wrong with doing. So if you give it a B+, makes me quite excited for the pick.

This is no knock against you, but I would consider a b+ a pretty decent grade. If you get that from a tough grader…then that’s pretty good.

The one thing I hate is when media is claiming we killed the draft and had one of the best first rounds.  Its usually that type of commentary that doesn't age well.  But I guess we got similar praise after getting Sewell and Hutch.  

• Like 3

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

The one thing I hate is when media is claiming we killed the draft and had one of the best first rounds.  Its usually that type of commentary that doesn't age well.  But I guess we got similar praise after getting Sewell and Hutch.  

Honestly it doesn't matter what media says. Last year they trashed our first round and that didn't age well so this year they try the opposite.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, teude said:

Honestly it doesn't matter what media says. Last year they trashed our first round and that didn't age well so this year they try the opposite.

I know, the media often is wrong, which is my point.  They hated last year we did well.  When they love a teams draft its usually bad because they got a bunch of big names that fell for some reason.  I know the media won't impact the outcome, it just makes me nervous when everyone sings the praises so quickly.  But I was doing it too so can't be too upset.  

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I feel like you grade pretty hard, which there is nothing wrong with doing. So if you give it a B+, makes me quite excited for the pick.

This is no knock against you, but I would consider a b+ a pretty decent grade. If you get that from a tough grader…then that’s pretty good.

My grade is less on the player and more on what they gave up too. Some really good corners still available. 

If they had gotten a 4th or even a 5th back I would have given this an A.

Player grade is A

Trade up grade is C 

Total grade is the B+

• Like 3

I started thinking about the trade-up for Terrion Arnold.  Some folks had some angst over the trade value.  In 2022, the Kansas City Chiefs trade up from 29 to 21 to get Trent McDuffie.  They sent 29, 94 and 121 to the Patriots to get him.  Granted, they had those picks as a result of the Tyreek Hill trade but it seems like the cost of moving up wasn't so different for a player who is just about the same caliber as a prospect.

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

I started thinking about the trade-up for Terrion Arnold.  Some folks had some angst over the trade value.  In 2022, the Kansas City Chiefs trade up from 29 to 21 to get Trent McDuffie.  They sent 29, 94 and 121 to the Patriots to get him.  Granted, they had those picks as a result of the Tyreek Hill trade but it seems like the cost of moving up wasn't so different for a player who is just about the same caliber as a prospect.

Comparing previous years isn't making that better, 

Look at The deal Chiefs made this year to trade down: that's more comparable 

54 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Comparing previous years isn't making that better, 

Look at The deal Chiefs made this year to trade down: that's more comparable 

They traded up from the same draft slot, #29, to get further ahead to #21.  This was only two years ago.  The value is comparable and so are the players.  Trent McDuffie was named all pro in his second year despite having sub-par arm length.  The Chiefs made this trade in 2022 not 1992.  I don't think the fact that the trade Chiefs trade was executed in 2022 makes much, if any, difference.

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

They traded up from the same draft slot, #29, to get further ahead to #21.  This was only two years ago.  The value is comparable and so are the players.  Trent McDuffie was named all pro in his second year despite having sub-par arm length.  The Chiefs made this trade in 2022 not 1992.  I don't think the fact that the trade Chiefs trade was executed in 2022 makes much, if any, difference.

You only feel that way because it justifies it. Look at this years draft and KC got a third back.

i know people aren't comparing 2022 home prices buying homes in 2024.

Old data is just that. Old 

17 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

You only feel that way because it justifies it. Look at this years draft and KC got a third back.

I know people aren't comparing home prices to NFL draft compensation.  Dumb comparisons are just dumb.

On 5/2/2024 at 12:10 PM, detfan782004 said:

Consider the following:  The Chiefs traded 29, 94 and 121 to the Patriots in exchange for pick 21 which they used to select Trent McDuffie. The Chiefs have won the Super Bowl two years in a row and Trent McDuffie made All Pro in his second season. Meanwhile, the Patriot put together seasons of 8-9 and 4-13. They selected Cole Strange with Pick 29. The rest of their 2022 draft class is WR Tyquan Thorton, CB Marcus Jones, CB Jack Jones, RB Pierre Strong, QB Bailey Zappe, RB Kevin Harris, DT Sam Roberts, OC Chasen Hines and OT Andrew Stueber. Does it seem like the Patriots got better value than the Chiefs?

38 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Consider the following:  The Chiefs traded 29, 94 and 121 to the Patriots in exchange for pick 21 which they used to select Trent McDuffie. The Chiefs have won the Super Bowl two years in a row and Trent McDuffie made All Pro in his second season. Meanwhile, the Patriot put together seasons of 8-9 and 4-13. They selected Cole Strange with Pick 29. The rest of their 2022 draft class is WR Tyquan Thorton, CB Marcus Jones, CB Jack Jones, RB Pierre Strong, QB Bailey Zappe, RB Kevin Harris, DT Sam Roberts, OC Chasen Hines and OT Andrew Stueber. Does it seem like the Patriots got better value than the Chiefs?

Once again ignoring my point. Keep spewing 2022.

The deal KC got in THIS draft to

move up. it's more relevant and current. Detroit did not do this well in their trade up. 

Kansas City Chiefs trade up to No. 28 (via Buffalo Bills)

Chiefs receive: No. 28 (WR Xavier Worthy), and Nos. 133 (DB Jaden Hicks), 248 (G C.J. Hanson).
Bills receive: No. 32 (traded to Panthers), and Nos. 95 (DT DeWayne Carter) and 221 (OT Travis Clayton).

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Once again ignoring my point. Keep spewing 2022.

The deal KC got in THIS draft to

move up. it's more relevant and current. Detroit did not do this well in their trade up. 

Kansas City Chiefs trade up to No. 28 (via Buffalo Bills)

Chiefs receive: No. 28 (WR Xavier Worthy), and Nos. 133 (DB Jaden Hicks), 248 (G C.J. Hanson).
Bills receive: No. 32 (traded to Panthers), and Nos. 95 (DT DeWayne Carter) and 221 (OT Travis Clayton).

You could also use this years trade MN made to get Turner.  They gave up 23, a 5th (167) and a 2025 3rd and 4th to move up to 17 so we moved up for much less than that. MN also gave up a 4th and 5th with 11 to get pick 10 and a 6th back so they gave the same value we did to move up 1 spot.  So the value even in the same year can be cherry picked to fit your narrative.  Some of the cost depends on who is available.  Some of the cost is where you are moving up to (17 is more expensive than 24 which is also more expensive than 28).  Some of the cost is dependent on who you are trading with. The Bills obviously were more willing to move down than the Cowboys or Jaguars were.  

• Like 1