Detroit selects at #24: Terrion Arnold, CB Alabama

General Tso

After watching tape and interviews I really do like what I see...my question is I saw that the first like 15picks went OF but Damn this guy looks like a legit day one starter and could have went Way earlier. AM I Wrong? just looked into him/ all the drafties in the last 48hrs  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

After watching tape and interviews I really do like what I see...my question is I saw that the first like 15picks went OF but Damn this guy looks like a legit day one starter and could have went Way earlier. AM I Wrong? just looked into him/ all the drafties in the last 48hrs  

I think he went right about where he should have. 

14 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

He was considered top 11-15 on most big boards. Did not expect him to fall. Damn glad he did. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

He was considered top 11-15 on most big boards. Did not expect him to fall. Damn glad he did. 

I think the big boards went out window when Bo Nix etc were getting taken. Few of those type picks pushed him down so he fell Right about where he should have. In terms of CB 2 and now soon after Cb 1

Love this. It's time to push in the chips a little bit. This team is ready to contend and Arnold should be exactly what we need - especially when you look at teams like the Bears loading up on offensive firepower. I wish we could've traded up without giving up our third rounder but sometimes that's what it takes. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MortexLion said:

You are on point.  He was CB1 in the draft for a lot of folks.

The first round of the draft was a dominated by offensive picks which really helped the Lions.  I am not a huge fan of giving up draft capital but giving up #73 to get a prospect of Terrion Arnold's caliber is a solid move for a Lions.  It addressed one of the few glaring holes on the roster.  The addition of Terrion Arnold to go along with Carlton Davis, Amik Robertson and Brian Branch really solidifies the CB rotation.  

There is a lot to like about the upside of Terrion Arnold.  A lot of DBs move from CB to safety but he moved from safety to CB.  He just turned 21 years old but has 21-games as a starter after red-shirting his first season at Alabama.  He has played a lot as a boundary CB but has played a reasonable amount of snaps in the slot also.  His fluidity is very good allowing him to do a really good job of mirroring and staying in-phase with WRs at the first two levels of the defense.  He seems to have a pretty high football IQ as well.  Vertical routes might give him problems early though.  He has some stuff to clean up with respect to tackling and grabiness but given his development arc at Alabama, age and clean injury history, he seems like an ascending talent.

By all accounts, he has a stellar personality and elite RAS, if not elite speed. I thought all along his film (highlights) shows good tenacity and physicality. He seems pretty similar to Joey Porter Jr., who also went toward the end of round 1 and looked good as a rookie. If that's what we're getting then it works for me. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I don’t think teams reaching for lesser players mean the guys who fell went where they were supposed to. But you are entitled to your opinion. 

I am not saying his draft slot is where he was supposed to go.  Saying he went relatively close to the 1st CB so based on that he went where he should have.

For me it was MEH kind of pick.  I do not hate the player.  Actually like the player.  I just do not know that I have him as 3rd round pick value difference than the next CB that was available.

The things I do love about him is his closing speed.  Too many times in NFL rookie CBs will be out of place.  He has the closing speed to offset the rookie mistakes.  He will get burned on a route and close that gap and make the pass breakup.

So while he learns the next level that closing speed will be his best asset.  Once he learns better he will become a very good corner.

I do think fans will get frustrated with how he grabs WR and I see a bit of penalties as part of his learning curve.

I give it a higher B+.  KC essentially trading up similar and giving up a 3rd and getting a 4th back probably pushed this from A- to B+ for me.  That those of draft value was a bit much for me.

Still like the player though.