2024 Round 3, Pick 100: WR, Luke McCaffrey, Rice

I love this pick. He's a bit raw as a WR but really athletic and he'll be a backup/special teams guy but I think he could develop into a starter in a few years.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I love this pick. He's a bit raw as a WR but really athletic and he'll be a backup/special teams guy but I think he could develop into a starter in a few years.

I forgot where I posted it but - and I do say this as someone who does like Luke - I don’t think his ceiling is super high. I absolutely thinks he develops into a great 3rd WR option. It’s a great way to use a 3rd rounder even if it felt a little early. 

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I forgot where I posted it but - and I do say this as someone who does like Luke - I don’t think his ceiling is super high. I absolutely thinks he develops into a great 3rd WR option. It’s a great way to use a 3rd rounder even if it felt a little early. 

Yeah I think that's most likely. You probably posted it in the Day 2 Draft thread as I posted something about Luke there too.

• Like 1

Watching him play, I’m not really impressed.

Not very advanced in terms of his releases, which means he’s pretty slot limited. That was the case at Rice as well. The routes are well below the standard set by elite slot type players like McConkey. Watch the two of them back to back — it’s night and day in terms of the crispness and nuance of the routes.

The thing that gives me some hope here is that you’re talking about a guy who just started as a receiver and who has a nice athletic profile to be a slot. That 3-cone (6.70) and short-shuttle (4.02) combo stacks up against just about anyone in the league, from the standpoint of agility, and you have to like that he’s got solid size/speed/explosion numbers to go with it.

I think right now, he’s not a really good player. But he has a lot of tools and a lot of room for growth, and you have to figure the intangibles are elite (coming from that particular family).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Reliable receiver who will be a sticks mover

• Like 1

16 hours ago, e16bball said:

Not very advanced in terms of his releases, which means he’s pretty slot limited. That was the case at Rice as well. The routes are well below the standard set by elite slot type players like McConkey. Watch the two of them back to back — it’s night and day in terms of the crispness and nuance of the routes.

The thing that gives me some hope here is that you’re talking about a guy who just started as a receiver and who has a nice athletic profile to be a slot. That 3-cone (6.70) and short-shuttle (4.02) combo stacks up against just about anyone in the league, from the standpoint of agility, and you have to like that he’s got solid size/speed/explosion numbers to go with it.

I think right now, he’s not a really good player. But he has a lot of tools and a lot of room for growth, and you have to figure the intangibles are elite (coming from that particular family).

Someone did the overlay on Luke and Christian, and Luke beats him in the 40.  

I think the bloodlines are great.  I think the athleticism is great.  The football stuff isn’t there quite yet, but if there was anyone to bet on being a good football player with that kind of athleticism, it is absolutely someone with those bloodlines.  I have no doubt that he’s going to put in the work, and hopefully we can match that on our end.  

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 2:39 PM, e16bball said:

Can’t forget that he’s a converted QB. He only played WR his final 2 years in college after playing QB at Nebraska & his first year at Rice. 

They made this pick off his athletic profile. Initially he’ll be a special teams guy & probably our #5 or 6 WR. Maybe by his 3rd year he becomes our starting WR opposite Terry? I think the best we could hope for. 

Right now he has a lot of work to do improving his rote running and just becoming an overall better WR but I definitely expect him to put in the work.