4.108 - Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon - #31

Nov 23, 2022

Alabama cornerback Khyree Jackson, a starter in last season’s national championship game, entered the NCAA transfer portal on Wednesday.

Jackson announced his decision on Twitter, saying he is “going into my senior season not a graduate transfer.” Jackson was initially listed as a senior this season by Alabama before his designation was changed during the season to a junior, which is how the school also listed him last season.

Nick Saban revealed Monday that Jackson was suspended after the cornerback had not been in uniform for the Tide’s past two games. Jackson made one start this season against Texas in September but has otherwise played a reserve role behind Terrion Arnold and Eli Ricks.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/11/suspended-alabama-cornerback-enters-transfer-portal.html

anyone know WHY Saban suspended him?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Nov 23, 2022

Alabama cornerback Khyree Jackson, a starter in last season’s national championship game, entered the NCAA transfer portal on Wednesday.

Jackson announced his decision on Twitter, saying he is “going into my senior season not a graduate transfer.” Jackson was initially listed as a senior this season by Alabama before his designation was changed during the season to a junior, which is how the school also listed him last season.

Nick Saban revealed Monday that Jackson was suspended after the cornerback had not been in uniform for the Tide’s past two games. Jackson made one start this season against Texas in September but has otherwise played a reserve role behind Terrion Arnold and Eli Ricks.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/11/suspended-alabama-cornerback-enters-transfer-portal.html

Nope.  No one has ever elaborated on it, although I imagine he told the NFL teams why, because it was certainly a question that was asked. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

No reason was given, which probably hints at something school or academic related. I don’t believe Saban would be allowed to elaborate on that, and neither would the school. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

No reason was given, which probably hints at something school or academic related. I don’t believe Saban would be allowed to elaborate on that, and neither would the school. 

i guess that's better than a disciplinary reason or a character concern.

Ryan Grigson: "He already has a lot of confidence. At the Senior Bowl, that was very evident when we sat down with him, the belief he has in himself. I think Flo likes that because that's something you can't fake."

Jackson: "You got the best corner, by far. Imma show you, day one."

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-rookie-cb-khyree-jackson-confidence

• VikeManDan changed the title to 4.108 - Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon - #31

Jackson said that the path he took, being away from the game and then going the junior college route, taught him about perseverance and made him who he is today. He believes he's better because of it. And he absolutely believes that the Vikings got a steal by taking him in the fourth round of this year's draft.

Jackson:  "I think my confidence comes from the work. I watched a lot of the names that got called before me recently in this draft, and I feel like if you were just watching last season, maybe it  shouldn't have went like that. But now I get my own chance to control the narrative again."

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-rookie-cb-khyree-jackson-confidence

Jackson was the 14th CB drafted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

I hope he did. That was a reason why Branch fell to the 2nd round, he basically ran a 4.60 during his draft testing lol.

4.58 for BB and 4.5 for Jackson per NFL.com combine pages. It looked like Jackson pulled up, geared down, the last 5 yards.

Excited for the size/length he'll bring to the CB room.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN’s Kevin Seifert:

"Free agent acquisition Shaquill Griffin, whom the Vikings fully guaranteed $3.99 million, would seem to have the edge for one outside corner spot. Akayleb Evans started 15 games last season but endured two in-game benchings. Mekhi Blackmon made three starts as a rookie but had his ups and downs over 435 snaps, and 2022 second-round pick Andrew Booth Jr, (256 snaps in two seasons) might be down to his final chance."

"All of which gives rookie fourth-round pick Khyree Jackson a legitimate chance for significant playing time if he can put together a strong spring and summer. Jackson would be one of the NFL’s tallest cornerbacks at nearly 6-foot-4, but senior vice president of player personnel Ryan Grigson said: “The way he drops his weight and his hips, and just his footwork, it’s just not ordinary.” Grigson added: “We think he could be a hell of an outside corner.”

At age 24, Jackson is one of the older rookies (he will turn 25 in August), but unlike many other older prospects, he still has a ton of untapped potential, and technical refinement is crucial for his development. Still, his size and strength are fascinating, and the questions surrounding the other cornerbacks on the roster give him a chance to make the 53-man roster and carve out an immediate role in the secondary.

Jackson is a name to watch in Vikings training camp.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/vikings-rookie-has-a-legitimate-chance-to-make-an-impact?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 2