OVERrated / underRATED

BwickRedux

I saw Pete Prisco post an article today in which he gave his thoughts on each teams' most underrated and overrated players and I was curious who everyone thought that might be.

Here are my choices:

Underrated: Duke Johnson

• All the focus this year has been on Crow (and rightfully so as the lead back) and he's never really fulfilled the potential everyone thought he had coming into the NFL. That being said, it's my opinion that that's because it never really seemed to be a focus of the offense to get the ball into his hands, which is why I love seeing the report that he might move to the slot - get the guy the ball and I think he'll shine.

Overrated: Joel Bitonio

• Let me be clear that "overrated" in my books doesn't mean he's not talented, just that he's getting more dues than he's owed... I love what Joel brings to the o-line and I'm glad he got an extension. But his injury history really leaves me feeling like he has something to prove this year and it seems like he's getting a pass from that during general discussion about the o-line. He's gotta have a good, healthy year this year for me and I don't think you hear a lot about this being a prove-it year for him.

Overrated: Isaiah Crowell.  I think he can start in this league.  All of a sudden the talk seems to be of him getting top ten RB money.  He's a nice power back.

Joel Bitonio.  I feel the same way that he is starting to look injury prone while still very young.  I understand why he got that extension, but I don't foresee him playing up to it completely.

Underrated: Corey Coleman. I still believe 100% in Corey to beast.  He hasn't convinced me he will be injury-prone his entire career.  I expect this year for him to beast.  I really like Higgins and haven't given up on him yet.  I can see him being a receiver that sticks.  

Rashad Higgins.  I know...I know...but I still like this guy.  I have a feeling he sticks in this league, whether or not he makes it on the Browns.  I see him putting it together and becoming a savvy vet at separating sooner rather than later.

Bobby the Brain Calhoun.  People like him enough, but I can actually see him making it long-term as our starting #2.  He is only going to get better with experience.

Cody Kessler. This might seem like an odd name, but I still feel many are underselling how much potential he showed as a rookie.  I have no idea how our front office sees him, but I'd like to see him stay healthy and start all 19 games this year.

Carl Nassib.  If this guy can stay healthy, I could see him being starter-level, maybe even a game-changer.

I thought I was alone on thinking Bitonio has been overrated. He has the ability I just don't think he has lived up to it yet. For the record it hasn't mattered much, this is the year he needs to reach the level of play everyone expects out of him. So he would probably be my pick also.

Underrated: Cody I suppose. It is a small sample size so he may not actually be underrated but it appears that way to me.

Ogbah isn't getting the press I think he deserved from last year but I think he will get it this year.

Crowell, while flawed, can be a top 5-7 RB in the right situation. I hope this is the situation and if so he is underrated.

Underrated: Kirksey, if he played for a winner he'd have been a Pro Bowler last season.

Overrated: Garrett, I think the expectations are just too high.  He's a great prospect but even JJ Watt only had 5.5 sacks his rookie season.  I think the assumption (by some) that he's gonna be a 10 sack guy year one is lofty.

Overrated I would say Joe Haden. I never thought he was that good, Kirksey is somewhat overrated too I would like to see him make more plays. Besides that no one is really thought to be good. 

Underrated Derrick Kinndred I think he's got the range to potentially be a starting FS in this defense. He looked really good at times last year. I liked him skillset in taking the proper angles. 

Archived