Najee NO 5th yr Option

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He hasn’t said much at all but he was part of that group of RB’s who zoom called to talk about getting better pay and bigger guarantees.

Here’s the list of participants:

Lots of respectable names on that list. I don't equate that to demanding a big bag. $8m isn't out of the question for some RBs but as stated, I wouldn't give Najee that. 

35 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I may be wrong, but I don't recall Najee ever demanding a lot of money. In fact, I don't recall him saying much about his contract or 5th year option at all. 

But he has been vocal about there under payments of RBs and how other running backs and he have to be compensated at higher levels. So, yes, Najee is going to be a problem in terms of money, and he won't get what he wants here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rlon said:

But he has been vocal about there under payments of RBs and how other running backs and he have to be compensated at higher levels. So, yes, Najee is going to be a problem in terms of money, and he won't get what he wants here.

Banding together and stating they are underpaid isn't the same as demanding a lot of money. He hasn't done that. But again...I've stated I wouldn't pay him a lot. 

• Like 1

He does not have to demand money at this point. $8M or walk.  I like Najee and like his attitude but $8M is a lot for a RB that offers nothing but north south running

• Like 2

Just now, Chieferific said:

Banding together and stating they are underpaid isn't the same as demanding a lot of money. He hasn't done that. But again...I've stated I wouldn't pay him a lot. 

My opinion is that he will ultimately ask the Steelers for more money than they are willing to give him, and I think the being on the forefront of the running backs need more money issue is telling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

He does not have to demand money at this point. $8M or walk.  I like Najee and like his attitude but $8M is a lot for a RB that offers nothing but north south running

I would offer him a 3 year 15 million dollar deal with 5 mill guaranteed. I would offer the same to Warren, and I'd be ready to draft Najee's replacement (i.e. a bigger back to pair with Warren) in 2025.

• Like 2

Just now, rlon said:

My opinion is that he will ultimately ask the Steelers for more money than they are willing to give him, and I think the being on the forefront of the running backs need more money issue is telling.

Perhaps. So kinda of passive aggressive way to demand more money? I'm ok with that. I don't see it as disruptive to the team. While I don't think he's worth it, his play this year just might get him $10m next year from another team. Which, not to beat a dead horse, is why I would have picked up his 5th year option. 

52 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I may be wrong, but I don't recall Najee ever demanding a lot of money. In fact, I don't recall him saying much about his contract or 5th year option at all. 

RB's take the most physical wear and have shortest careers by far, so IMO they deserve to get what they can financially and then some. Problem is, if the OL is no good, then it's a waste, and if the OL is really good, then many RB's will be able to get the  yards.

the zoom meeting is telling, I can't blame the RB's.    I think OL first, but also realize   RB's need to be compensated for fairly. Let  them hit UFA after 3 years.  There are other ways too, but start there, and more guaranteed money even if that means the league has a pool fund for them. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I doubt they offer more than 6M unless he really breaks out.  They have cap space though, so wait and see. It's more about how he does in the offence at this stage, wait and see. 

The way he got going at the end of last year, they should keep some of those run plays and with htis new OL it could be a nice season for Harris that leads to the pay he wants or gets close.

Last I checked, the best team in the league doesn't pay  much for their RB, but did pay the OL

31 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Perhaps. So kinda of passive aggressive way to demand more money? I'm ok with that. I don't see it as disruptive to the team. While I don't think he's worth it, his play this year just might get him $10m next year from another team. Which, not to beat a dead horse, is why I would have picked up his 5th year option. 

I would say he’s being super professional about it so far.

But the counter comes of if you are investing in the line to the level you are, and you know Najee is a primary N/S runner, and there’s quite a few of those in the next draft, potentially even on your own roster - why commit those resources.

The best way I saw someone put the RB thing - you have to commit resources to the position 1 of 3 ways next year, cash, trade, or pick. Pick is your smallest cap allocation, cash (aka pay Najee) is your smallest outside impact. Keep in mind a Daniels, Heyward, and Freiermuth extensions could quickly impact the resource of cash next year.

33 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

RB's take the most physical wear and have shortest careers by far, so IMO they deserve to get what they can financially and then some. Problem is, if the OL is no good, then it's a waste, and if the OL is really good, then many RB's will be able to get the  yards.

the zoom meeting is telling, I can't blame the RB's.    I think OL first, but also realize   RB's need to be compensated for fairly. Let  them hit UFA after 3 years.  There are other ways too, but start there, and more guaranteed money even if that means the league has a pool fund for them. 

The teams are businesses. While it's true that they take more wear and tear than the money is "worth" compared to other positions, ultimately the positions are paid based on contribution of replacement. Currently a RB by committee is most cost effective for teams. You pay 2-3 guys less than or equal to what the top RBs used to make and there's less wear on each player and an injury doesn't hurt you as badly. While it may not be fair to the top guys, it just doesn't make financial sense for the teams anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

The teams are businesses. While it's true that they take more wear and tear than the money is "worth" compared to other positions, ultimately the positions are paid based on contribution of replacement. Currently a RB by committee is most cost effective for teams. You pay 2-3 guys less than or equal to what the top RBs used to make and there's less wear on each player and an injury doesn't hurt you as badly. While it may not be fair to the top guys, it just doesn't make financial sense for the teams anymore.

It might be coincidence, but also likely why his influence is there, but everywhere Weidl has been has been RBBC while he was there and didn’t spend a ton of money on RB’s overall.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

It might be coincidence, but also likely why his influence is there, but everywhere Weidl has been has been RBBC while he was there and didn’t spend a ton of money on RB’s overall.

Very few teams aren't RBBC at some level anymore.

Just now, skywlker32 said:

Very few teams aren't RBBC at some level anymore.

True, but I was referring more to the investment of cap.

I’m of the belief that you build a line then get a RB. We’ve done it backwards with our last 3 RB’s. We got Mendenhall then built the line. We got Bell then built the line. Now we got Najee then built the line. 

Think back to 90’s early 2000’s and it was line then get Bettis. Line then Willie Parker can have success. Good lines can make a good back great and an ok back good; you just need to still pay them like their base not what the line makes them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

sums it up, and I doubt there will be RB's that get WR1  or QB pay ever again.  QB's are already near 2x the pay already when compared to the next position .

Maybe the 24' steelers will break the myth and win with min wage QB and WR room, not holding my breath but it would go against conventional current ways