Jared Goff signed for additional 4 years/$212 Million

17 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The Eagles are going to be the Saints in a few years.  Its fun now, but the void years are going to kill them.  Having 4 and 5 void years is great for reducing hits now but its an all or nothing method that isn't sustainable.  At some point, you can't pay guys that much and will have to eat huge losses.  The nice thing about the deals we have signed with Goff is he currently has no void years.  ARSB has 3 which hurts for sure and Sewell has 1.  We can always add them on later if needed but it will get us into that pickle of having a huge dead cap hit for a year or two.  And currently with ARSB's structure, his 3 void years are only extending out $16M of salary where as pushing out 97M (that year is his void year so it is all dead money) and AJ Brown is pushing out $55M.  They also have Devonta Smith with 4 void years with a cap hit of 36M in 2029 in bonus being pushed out.  So the Eagles will have $130M in dead cap in 2029 and at least 55M in 2030.  

If we need the cap space we will add void years and convert cash to bonus and spread it out but I think our method gives us a lot more ability to manipulate it in the future and allows us actually have it hit our cap in years where we have fewer big contracts along the way. 

This is kind of what I was getting at. The bulk of the Lions' contracts have a big base salary. That can then be converted into a signing bonus and then spread out for when they need to create cap space. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

They wouldn't be trading him with that cap hit . No team would take that on at his age 

At his age? He's 29... If the Lions did want to trade him in a couple years he'd still be in his early 30s, that's not old for a QB.

However, even though your reasoning is off the point is valid because if the Lions were looking to trade Goff it would mean he isn't living up to the deal in which case no one would want him anyway.

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 11:31 PM, detfan782004 said:

They wouldn't be trading him with that cap hit . No team would take that on at his age 

He will be the age at the end of this contract that Stafford was when we traded him to the Rams. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He will be the age at the end of this contract that Stafford was when we traded him to the Rams. 

Stafford has elite skills in comparison imo. I wish Stafford had the players around him that Goff does as a whole 

36 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Stafford has elite skills in comparison imo. I wish Stafford had the players around him that Goff does as a whole 

Maybe but Christen Harper >>> Kelly Stafford.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Maybe but Christen Harper >>> Kelly Stafford.

Lets give some credit where credit is due:  Kelly Stafford did her fair share of work in the community while she was here.  She also had to watch Matthew Stafford get beat up on the field a lot.  I appreciate her moxy and her resilience after enduring brain surgery.  She may not be in Detroit anymore but she made a positive difference to a fair amount of people.

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Lets give some credit where credit is due:  Kelly Stafford did her fair share of work in the community while she was here.  She also had to watch Matthew Stafford get beat up on the field a lot.  I appreciate her moxy and her resilience after enduring brain surgery.  She may not be in Detroit anymore but she made a positive difference to a fair amount of people.

Yes she was involved a lot around the city organizations. Tainted her efforts with her mouth but most people do 

7 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Uh, Ok.  That is pretty toxic but that seems like it is par for the course.

How is that toxic? It's reality. Most of these people do a lot of good and taint their efforts with their mouths.