Hard Knocks Offseason with the Giants

Acgott

I don't know how you come to the conclusion Schoen didn't want him back. Barkley says over and over to the media he wants to be in NY and be a Giant for life. In 2023 Schoen offered him the equivalent GTD money of the two tags with incentives. Barkley rejects. They tag to keep him in NY. 2024 Schoen wants to make him an offer but is scared that if he comes in only a million or so under what SB wants it'll upset him and he'll walk so he decides to let the market dictate his value and Barkley agrees. Schoen asks him for the opportunity to match and Barkley agrees. Barkley gets an offer (at the time we don't know who or how much). Schoen throws a last ditch Hail Mary at 25M GTD. Agent says it's north of that. Schoen pulls the plug. Later we found out the deal was 26M. 1 official offer, a tag, and a potential last ditch effort to keep him in NY. How in the world is that Schoen not wanting him? I mean don't get me wrong... I'm not thumbing my nose at 1M. Good on him for getting his payday. But I'm never going to forget or forgive the fact that 1M GTD was the difference between SB being a Giant for life and being in the ring of honor or going to our most hated rival. I don't think I'm being outrageous here....

47 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I don't know how you come to the conclusion Schoen didn't want him back. 

I'll make it clearer, Schoen wanted Barkley back at a certain price. When Schoen asked the agent what numbers Barkley is looking for, and the agent told him 25 million guaranteed. Schoen could have said we would pay for that right now. He didn't, then the agents tells him that Barkley was offered north of 25 million. If Schoen wanted Barkley then he says we can't go that high, tell Barkley there is 25 million on the table right now our final offer. Scheon does not do that he says were out and does not put an offer out there. Barkley has every right to say the Giants never gave me an offer. If Barkley was given an offer and turned it down then the statement of him leaving the Giants for 1 million is accurate. Schoen does not give Barkley the chance to take 25 million, yet you blame Barkley? 🤔

Edited by Go_Giants

21 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

I'll make it clearer, Schoen wanted Barkley back at a certain price. When Schoen asked the agent what numbers Barkley is looking for, and the agent told him 25 million guaranteed. Schoen could have said we would pay for that right now. He didn't, then the agents tells him that Barkley was offered north of 25 million. If Schoen wanted Barkley then he says we can't go that high, tell Barkley there is 25 million on the table right now our final offer. Scheon does not do that he says were out and does not put an offer out there. Barkley has every right to say the Giants never gave me an offer. If Barkley was given an offer and turned it down then the statement of him leaving the Giants for 1 million is accurate. Schoen does not give Barkley the chance to take 25 million, yet you blame Barkley? 🤔

This is exactly it. Schoen is trying to box the agent into a corner by saying if we offer 25mil does it get it done. The agent hadn't even talked to every team at that point so why would he agree to that? If a team offers 40mil then Saquon would obviously take that. 25mil was not and never was a real offer so this suggestion that he left over 1mil is simply not accurate

• Like 1

I found it interesting that the Patriots were willing to trade the 3rd pick in the draft for our 1st, 2nd and 3rd this year and a 1st and 2nd next year. Not sure if I am happy or not that the Giants didn't go through with it.

18 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

I found it interesting that the Patriots were willing to trade the 3rd pick in the draft for our 1st, 2nd and 3rd this year and a 1st and 2nd next year. Not sure if I am happy or not that the Giants didn't go through with it.

It probably would have been more. Patriots weren’t looking to trade.

On 7/24/2024 at 11:18 AM, Go_Giants said:

I mean, I think it was Wolf's way of saying it was going to take a Grandfather offer to get him to move off the pick.  Think RG3-like package.  I don't think the Patriots really ever had any interest in moving off that pick.

On 7/24/2024 at 9:10 AM, Acgott said:

Interesting that OL wasn’t a consideration in the first. Marv or Nabers @ 6 or trade down for Rome or Bowers.

You spend that much money in FA, they weren't going OL at 6.  Honestly, I thought it was interesting that McCarthy wasn't really under consideration.  It was clearly Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Drake Maye in a tier of their own.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You spend that much money in FA, they weren't going OL at 6.  Honestly, I thought it was interesting that McCarthy wasn't really under consideration.  It was clearly Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Drake Maye in a tier of their own.

Yea the only way JJ was in the equation was a trade back. Seemed like they were dead set on QB or offensive weapon for Jones. Once Wolf expressed it would take a kings ransom they settled into weapon and "roll with Daniel". If Nabers had gone at 5 I think Bowers was their pick. 

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Yea the only way JJ was in the equation was a trade back. Seemed like they were dead set on QB or offensive weapon for Jones. Once Wolf expressed it would take a kings ransom they settled into weapon and "roll with Daniel". If Nabers had gone at 5 I think Bowers was their pick. 

I don't think JJ McCarthy was really ever apart of the equation.  If he was valued highly in that room, they would have taken him at 6 and not risk trading down.  But when they said if MHJ or Nabers was on the board, they were handing the pick in.  IF the Chargers would have taken Nabers, they likely would have flipped spots with Chicago who would have taken Odunze.  Obviously, they were surprised by the Penix pick, but the Falcons weren't taking Bowers and it wasn't a very big secret that Tennessee was going OL with their pick so they presumably would have gotten Bowers.

• Like 1