2024 WC Finals: (3) Minnesota Timberwolves v (5) Dallas Mavericks

11sanchez11

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Are you joking/ You are right, he traveled like a ****. Watch his feet after the last dribble. It was traveling by the rules of the game. I know they don't call it but after giving Dallas the basketball on that challenge, the officials absolutely owed Minnesota a make up call. 

Dallas was rewarded for getting away with a foul by getting the ball out of bounds in a very crucial moment of the game. THE most ****ed up rule in any sport anywhere. It's why the NBA is a ******* joke. If you are going to review a play, you cannot ignore the action, a foul, which caused the ball to go out of bounds. 

So, the letter of the rule, Dallas had to be given the ball. Also, by the letter of the rule, Luka traveled prior to that shot. The officials knew they ****ed Minnesota and choked on their whistles. 

Minnesota was screwed without any lubricant. You can't have it both ways. 

I am 100% with you on hating the NBA. I also don't like either team, but Mark Cuban is the tie breaker for me. I will always root against his team.

unhinged

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

We do seem to live in a time where common sense is a superpower. Sorry you don't possess it. 

it's a bad rule. mcdaniels was fouled. minnesota also had the ball up two with under 20 seconds left and their best player threw it into the third row. then a man who has spent his whole career being criticized for not being able to guard anybody on the perimeter was left on an island with the coldest **** in the league, and luka make him look like he didn't have bones in his legs. there's so reason why rudy should've been in a spot to get switched onto luka, or even in the game for that possession. then they had an open look for a guy averaging six 3s a game so far and it rimmed out. they had three different chances to win the game and once again the only guy who came close and didn't **** himself in the moment was naz reid

luka's footwork on that shot is no different than any other stepback going to the shooter's dominant hand ever taken in nba history. it's no different than catching a trailing pass and stepping into your shot. it's no different than coming off a screen and stepping into your shot. it's no different than catching a lead pass on a fast break and getting your footwork right to go off the correct foot

he literally goes: dribble - right step back while collecting his dribble (the nba defines this as a gather step, which is not counted one of the two steps you're allowed to take) -  left step back (step one, establishes the left as his pivot foot) - right step in (step two) - shot

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

it's a bad rule. mcdaniels was fouled. minnesota also had the ball up two with under 20 seconds left and their best player threw it into the third row. then a man who has spent his whole career being criticized for not being able to guard anybody on the perimeter was left on an island with the coldest **** in the league, and luka make him look like he didn't have bones in his legs. there's so reason why rudy should've been in a spot to get switched onto luka, or even in the game for that possession. then they had an open look for a guy averaging six 3s a game so far and it rimmed out. they had three different chances to win the game and once again the only guy who came close and didn't **** himself in the moment was naz reid

luka's footwork on that shot is no different than any other stepback going to the shooter's dominant hand ever taken in nba history. it's no different than catching a trailing pass and stepping into your shot. it's no different than coming off a screen and stepping into your shot. it's no different than catching a lead pass on a fast break and getting your footwork right to go off the correct foot

he literally goes: dribble - right step back while collecting his dribble (the nba defines this as a gather step, which is not counted one of the two steps you're allowed to take) -  left step back (step one, establishes the left as his pivot foot) - right step in (step two) - shot

In case you didn't understand, I thought I'd supply the definition of traveling. He moved both feet twice without dribbling. You go ahead and convince yourself otherwise. Also, I don't give a **** how many times Minnesota failed to put the game away. The official choked on his whistle because he didn't want to call a clear and obvious foul on Kyrie at crunch time. The stupidity that a team can commit a foul, get away with it and challenge who the ball went off of. This in a nutshell is why the NBA is a joke. A clear make up call was needed to justify what had happened, Doncic gave them more than enough of a chance to do so when he traveled to get free for a shot. 

This has been the rule since the beginning of time. What you are justifying is the NBA doesn't care if players travel. It's part of the reason the game is unwatchable to so many people 

Traveling is a violation in basketball that occurs when a player takes too many steps without dribbling the ball12. A player can establish a pivot foot, which is the foot that remains on the floor while the other foot can move12. However, if the pivot foot is lifted, the player must pass or shoot the ball before putting it back on the floor1. Traveling is also known as "walking" or "steps"1.

Anymore justification you may try and come up with is now into the lack of common sense or, "just don't care cause my team won!" Either way it's ****ed up. Have a good day. 

The only time you get a second step is on a layup. The NBA allows for 3, 4, 5 or more depending on the player and situation. 

Here is the NBA in a nutshell! The Harden video is exactly what Luka did last night! LOL 

The NBA’s 9 most hilarious missed travel calls - SBNation.com

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

If that's a walk, then you must hate every hesitation move ever made.

Do you know the difference between what your feet do when you are dribbling vs. stopping your dribble? Apparently not because this was an asinine response. 

14 hours ago, Mox said:

Absolutely. Luka is at least a tier higher than Iverson as an overall player. He probably has 4 years better than any Iverson one. AI was more influential than elite.

13 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

No Luka at this time is nothing close to AI.

I figured the question would get mixed responses

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Do you know the difference between what your feet do when you are dribbling vs. stopping your dribble? Apparently not because this was an asinine response. 

Guys are shuffling their feet during hesitation moves without dribbling. Travel!

You're unbelievably unbearable and just a straight up ****, so I'm just going to stop here. Have fun wallowing in self pity and misunderstanding basketball.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

In case you didn't understand, I thought I'd supply the definition of traveling. He moved both feet twice without dribbling. You go ahead and convince yourself otherwise. Also, I don't give a **** how many times Minnesota failed to put the game away. The official choked on his whistle because he didn't want to call a clear and obvious foul on Kyrie at crunch time. The stupidity that a team can commit a foul, get away with it and challenge who the ball went off of. This in a nutshell is why the NBA is a joke. A clear make up call was needed to justify what had happened, Doncic gave them more than enough of a chance to do so when he traveled to get free for a shot. 

This has been the rule since the beginning of time. What you are justifying is the NBA doesn't care if players travel. It's part of the reason the game is unwatchable to so many people 

Traveling is a violation in basketball that occurs when a player takes too many steps without dribbling the ball12. A player can establish a pivot foot, which is the foot that remains on the floor while the other foot can move12. However, if the pivot foot is lifted, the player must pass or shoot the ball before putting it back on the floor1. Traveling is also known as "walking" or "steps"1.

Anymore justification you may try and come up with is now into the lack of common sense or, "just don't care cause my team won!" Either way it's ****ed up. Have a good day. 

The only time you get a second step is on a layup. The NBA allows for 3, 4, 5 or more depending on the player and situation. 

Here is the NBA in a nutshell! The Harden video is exactly what Luka did last night! LOL 

The NBA’s 9 most hilarious missed travel calls - SBNation.com

alright. first of all, you're allowed to take two steps without dribbling. otherwise, every layup ever taken at every level of basketball would be a walk. when you catch the ball on the perimeter and go into your shot, you're allowed to take two steps into your shooting motion. in fact, it's how lots of coaches teach as the best way to shoot off the catch. for righties, this action goes: catch - left step forward - right step forward - shot. you'll notice (or you may not, who knows) there's two (2) steps in that sequence without a dribble. not a walk

i'm not trying to justify anything. the gather step is literally written into the nba rule book. https://official.nba.com/rule-no-10-violations-and-penalties/

Section XIII—Traveling

1. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
  2. A player who gathers the ball while progressing may take (1) two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball, or (2) if he has not yet dribbled, one step prior to releasing the ball. A player who gathers the ball while dribbling may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing, or shooting the ball.
    1. The first step occurs when a foot, or both feet, touch the floor after gaining control of the ball.
    2. The second step occurs after the first step when the other foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
    3. A player who comes to a stop on step one when both feet are on the floor or touch the floor simultaneously may pivot using either foot as his pivot. If he jumps with both feet he must release the ball before either foot touches the floor.
    4. A player who lands with one foot first may only pivot using that foot.
    5. A progressing player who jumps off one foot on the first step may land with both feet simultaneously for the second step. In this situation, the player may not pivot with either foot and if one or both feet leave the floor the ball must be released before either returns to the floor.

the nba (and this is noteworthy because the nba determines the rules for all nba games) says that luka's steps don't start counting until he has picked up his dribble and has control of the ball. when his right foot steps back, he hasn't gained control of the ball, which, if you can deduce based on the bolded point, copied straight from the nba rulebook, means that it doesn't count as his first step

this is like arguing if it's not fair that nba players don't check themselves out of games after five fouls because the nba is the only league that has a six foul limit

• Like 2

You’ll be better off calling palming rather than a travel. I get what you’re saying, for every dribble he’s shuffling but that’s allowed… Traveling is giving up your pivot and your dribble. He did none of that as his dribble never died. That’s the infamous harden 3, in which the NBA itself said it’s not a travel because you’re 3 step is technically a gather. Hali does it all the time including taking 4 steps, but he does it so fast you can’t even tell.