2022 Packer Draft

Posted (edited)

This draft after two years is a quandary. Seems there are legitimately 8 guys who could earn a second contract but only 1, seems a lock in Tom. Without a crystal ball, who right now would you extend and who would you give a second deal to. I still see 6 guys (Walker, Wyatt, Watson, Doubs, Tom and Enagbare) who could earn very big contracts. We certainly cannot do that. 

Walker

Wyatt

Watson

Ryhan

Doubs 

Tom

Enagbare

Carpenter

Ford

Walker

Toure 

Edited by Old Guy

Outside of Tom, the obvious, I could see Doubs, Q. Walker and maybe Wyatt earn a second contract at their market value depending on how they perform within the next 25 games. I also could see a slightly smaller, cost-effective contract given to R. Walker, Rhyan, and Enagbare as they could find themselves as quality role players or depth guys. Definitely worth circling back to the topic after the season is over regardless of the outcome.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

This draft after two years is a quandary. Seems there are legitimately 8 guys who could earn a second contract but only 1, seems a lock in Tom. Without a crystal ball, who right now would you extend and who would you give a second deal to. I still see 6 guys (Walker, Wyatt, Watson, Doubs, Tom and Enagbare) who could earn every big contracts. We certainly cannot do that. 

Walker

Wyatt

Watson

Ryhan

Doubs 

Tom

Enagbare

Carpenter

Ford

Walker

Toure 

I see Walker, Wyatt and Tom with a 2nd contract 

Watson breaks out and is tagged and traded 

Doubs we let walk for a 3rd round comp 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Which Walker, Quay or Rasheed? If Watson breaks out, we're keeping him IMO. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Which Walker, Quay or Rasheed? If Watson breaks out, we're keeping him IMO. 

Sheesh that makes it harder. Sign Quay Walker since, Rasheed Walker depends on the development of Morgan 

If Watson breaks out, he will be getting 35m+ a year. No WR is worth that imo. I'll take the draft capital and cap space 

10 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

No one is going to pay 25M+ for Doubs (Robert Hunt at 20M per year is expected to net a 4th year). He'll probably net a 6th, perhaps a 5th if lucky.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Sheesh that makes it harder. Sign Quay Walker since, Rasheed Walker depends on the development of Morgan 

If Watson breaks out, he will be getting 35m+ a year. No WR is worth that imo. I'll take the draft capital and cap space 

There are levels of breaking out. 1K+ yards and 10 TDs is breaking out. It is also nowhere near enough production for a guy to get 35M+ a year. Given the depth of the pass catchers, that would be a great year for C. Watson. We have guys at both WR and TE who are going to need a fair number of targets. He's not going to see enough targets to put up 1500/15. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

I think Watson is the most likely to get a 2nd contract "offer" but will probably sign elsewhere for insane money.  Someone is really gonna be enamored with his skillset

Doubs is more likely of the 2 to get a 2nd contract that sticks from GB.

Quay walker should/could be the guy who we keep in addition to Tom.  I'm expecting him to flourish and continue the growth he had last year.

• Like 1

When was the last time that a Packers didn't pay a guy? Blake Martinez?

They almost always give good players their second contract.  It is more rare that they see the third.  

The only ones that I would question are Rhyan, Doubs, Enagbare, and Rasheed Walker. 

-Rhyan has been a part time starter for one season.  We have seen awful reps all the way to very good reps.  It wouldn't surprise me if they develop one of the rookies from the 2024 draft and they simply faze out Rhyan.

-Doubs may be redundant with Wicks, and as much as I like Doubs, I don't think there really is anything that he does that Wicks can't also do. 

-Enagbare is interesting because that DE position is a bit of an unknown.  They can, and have paid three.  It is also possible that the ends are Gary and Enagbare with LVN playing as more of an interior rusher.  Preston Smith is on the back 9, so we may just pay Enagbare.

-Rasheed Walker pretty much comes down to:  how much does he cost? I think he will get a starting tackle contract.  We won't pay Morgan, Tom, and Walker at tackle.  If Morgan is good, I think that spells the end of Walker in free agency.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

When was the last time that a Packers didn't pay a guy? Blake Martinez?

They almost always give good players their second contract.  It is more rare that they see the third.  

The only ones that I would question are Rhyan, Doubs, Enagbare, and Rasheed Walker. 

-Rhyan has been a part time starter for one season.  We have seen awful reps all the way to very good reps.  It wouldn't surprise me if they develop one of the rookies from the 2024 draft and they simply faze out Rhyan.

-Doubs may be redundant with Wicks, and as much as I like Doubs, I don't think there really is anything that he does that Wicks can't also do. 

-Enagbare is interesting because that DE position is a bit of an unknown.  They can, and have paid three.  It is also possible that the ends are Gary and Enagbare with LVN playing as more of an interior rusher.  Preston Smith is on the back 9, so we may just pay Enagbare.

-Rasheed Walker pretty much comes down to:  how much does he cost? I think he will get a starting tackle contract.  We won't pay Morgan, Tom, and Walker at tackle.  If Morgan is good, I think that spells the end of Walker in free agency.  

Preston will be gone and off the books when it's time to make a decision on Enagbare. LVN will have only completed 3 seasons and will not likely be a thought of extending him at that point. The only reason I added Enagbare to the list is the position is paid so well. If he had a couple of 8 sack seasons, somebody would throw foolish money at him. 

Edited by Old Guy

46 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Preston will be gone and off the books when it's time to make a decision on Enagbare. LVN will have only completed 3 seasons and will not likely be a thought of extending him at that point. The only reason I added Enagbare to the list is the position is paid so well. If he had a couple of 8 sack seasons, somebody would throw foolish money at him. 

Right. I think it boils down to what LVN is.  If he is a DE type, and good, you might want to look for a rookie contract DE type rather than pay Enagbare.  If LVN isn't much of a DE, but is a better UT, perhaps you let Wyatt go and be more proactive keeping Enagbare.  If LVN is looking like a bust, perhaps you go for Enagbare and Wyatt, then let LVN expire.

I think they will pay Watson and Tom, and probably pay Quay.  And I think those contracts will be relatively large, which means we will have to spread the wealth around a little more than all guys from one year.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Gutekunst's first four drafts  (2018, 19, 20, 21) were fairly average, though 2020 was the year he got Love.

Then three very good drafts on the trot in 2022,23,24 (I like the 2024 draft so much I'm guessing it is good). This is why the Packers are where they are now. Those drafts have made all the difference and the Packers have overcome their biggest failing (the cap implications of not trading Rodgers a year earlier than they did) to be the most complete roster for many years and a realistic superbowl contender. The two additions of vets McKinney and Jacobs, are the icing on the cake.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive