2024 NBA Finals: Boston Celtics v Dallas Mavericks

11sanchez11

2 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

you're allowed to be wrong but why be so wrong here right here right now

My hate is actually backed up by almost every meaningful statistic. Brown is still an above average player, he's just on a really deep team.

These last few years/ this era starting with Covid i suppose (I don’t even count the bubble tournament as a legit playoff or champion personally)  just feels so 70’s.  These champions and finals all feel so forgettable historically.  The 70’s has always been the great disrespected era.  Historically the mid to late 70’s mite as well never have happened.  

If I ranked all the nba championship teams during my lifetime these past few would all be at the very bottom of the list.  This is not to disparage the overall talent in the league as it’s debatably at an all time high ( impossible to really say given rule changes both official and unenforced) I just don’t think these teams stack up 

The NBA finals have been disappointing. It feels like there’s always been a clear favorite and they end up rolling.

Exceptions would be 2016 Cavs and the Raptors in…2018?

34 minutes ago, Armbar said:

The NBA finals have been disappointing. It feels like there’s always been a clear favorite and they end up rolling.

Exceptions would be 2016 Cavs and the Raptors in…2018?

Suns/Bucks was pretty up in the air imo. Also Warriors/Celtics.

We haven't had a repeat champion since 2018 with the Warriors. I think that's great. Sometimes there's just a clear favorite in a series though.

Just now, General Tso said:

Suns/Bucks was pretty up in the air imo. Also Warriors/Celtics.

We haven't had a repeat champion since 2018 with the Warriors. I think that's great. Sometimes there's just a clear favorite in a series though.

True. Suns/Bucks was great. 

• Like 1

The Lakers threepeat were all lopsided series', but people probably don't remember because of Kobe nostalgia. If you liked 2000s-era grindfests then  Pistons/Spurs series was probably peak.

2013 and 2016 were easily the best finals since then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

The Lakers threepeat were all lopsided series', but people probably don't remember because of Kobe nostalgia. If you liked 2000s-era grindfests then  Pistons/Spurs series was probably peak.

2013 and 2016 were easily the best finals since then.

Back then the finals sucked because the east sucked. It wasn’t til the Pistons added Sheed with Ben that anyone in the east had a prayer against Shaq or Duncan.  The WCP’s had plenty of great basketball. Lakers and Spurs obviously great but the Blazers, Kings, Suns, TWolves and Mavs all had there moments. I’m not sure some of those 76er, Pacer, Nets teams that won the east would have got out of the 1st rd in the west it was that lopsided 

23 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Back then the finals sucked because the east sucked. It wasn’t til the Pistons added Sheed with Ben that anyone in the east had a prayer against Shaq or Duncan.  The WCP’s had plenty of great basketball. Lakers and Spurs obviously great but the Blazers, Kings, Suns, TWolves and Mavs all had there moments. I’m not sure some of those 76er, Pacer, Nets teams that won the east would have got out of the 1st rd in the west it was that lopsided 

As a kid I thought those Nets teams were stacked. Looking back though? Meh.

On 6/18/2024 at 9:27 PM, BigC421/ said:

Pacers took the Lakers to 6 games and were only down 1 with a minute left in game 6 but sure

1 hour ago, adamq said:

Pacers took the Lakers to 6 games and were only down 1 with a minute left in game 6 but sure

Ok so it wasn’t a completely terrible finals.  It was rather boring as the Lakers were clearly the superior team from the get go.  Shaq averaged 38 16.7 and 2.7 blocks a game.  Pacers used extreme hack a Shaq to attempt to keep things competitive.  Jalen Rose admittedly intentionally stuck out his foot under Kobe’s jump shot to injure him. Kobe missed game 3 and was still hobbled after.  Shaq fouled out game 4 ( still won in OT).  In short the Lakers as a team we’re just arriving with a 21 year old Kobe and an absolutely dominate Shaq.  The Pacers managed to muck the games up enough to win 2 at home in the 2-3-2 format partially due to a dirty play resulting in injury.  

The 8th seed in the west Kings took the Lakers 5 in a 5 game series ( Pacers also went 5 against 8 seeded Bucks) and the 59 win Blazers took them 7 in the WCF.  This was the really the infancy of West’s dominance only 2 years post Jordan and 1 year post lock out season. 

Edited by BigC421/