TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

17 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Potato salad has mayonnaise in it, making it the worst kind of potato possible.  

I’ve got an old family recipe German potato salad. Definitely has bacon, vinegar and hard boiled eggs which could make a type of mayo, but no mayo. It’s pretty damn good. 

57 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What is a vegan potato?

No one knows exactly, but researchers believe this is when potato is used to replace meat. 

Look, I don’t know, and I don’t even have a fun response. It could be any potato touched by a vegan chef. That fair enough? 

28 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I’ve got an old family recipe German potato salad. Definitely has bacon, vinegar and hard boiled eggs which could make a type of mayo, but no mayo. It’s pretty damn good. 

The two things I am allergic to are beer and eggs.  I get all puffy from beer.  And something in eggs upsets my stomach.  I don't get diarrhea or vomit, but I get that uncomfortable tummy ache feeling where I can do what ever I have to, but it is really uncomfortable and if I have the option, I would rather go home and lay down. 

Don't get me wrong, I will still eat an egg on a burger once in a while, or some of those egg biscuit things, but I usually feel pretty bad for a few hours, at least.  I usually don't eat any breakfast.   But also mayonnaise is disgusting anyway so I don't eat it.

Just now, ChaRisMa said:

No one knows exactly, but researchers believe this is when potato is used to replace meat. 

Look, I don’t know, and I don’t even have a fun response. It could be any potato touched by a vegan chef. That fair enough? 

oh.  Like a potato burger? If you happen to get a McDonalds breakfast sandwich, put one of those hash brown patties on the sandwich too, it is really good.

My sister is a vegetarian, and my co-worker is vegan.  I try a lot of those veggie things and meat alternatives.  Some are pretty good, some are not.  I will say the impossible whopper tasted pretty much like a regular whopper, but it was saltier. My sister had some fake chicken nuggets that were pretty good too, I don't know what they were called. Personally, I prefer the real meat, but if someone doesn't, that doesn't bother me one bit.  Just let me know before hand so I can cook you something separate.

9 hours ago, Refugee said:

German potato salad is crazy good.  I don't even know how to make it.  I leave that to my Aunt.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Total s.s.  I felt bad for the Romanian but if the rules stated it could be reviewed, and it was there on the floor, you go with the judges’ decision. To string it out til now, many days after the fact is beyond messy. If anything, I’d be happy if both competitors got the bronze at this point. That may or may not be in the spirit of competition but it’s clear the people responsible for determining this do not have their **** together. No one is going to be happy from this one. 

• Like 2

This thing with break dancing showing up in the Olympics is even stranger than I thought.  @Old Guy gets a quick shoutout for mocking the idea of ballroom dancing being  an Olympic event.  Seems the ballroom dancing lobby had been trying for years to get it into the Olympics.  As a direct result of their efforts, break dancing was added instead.

The sport dragged into the Olympics without its consent

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

This thing with break dancing showing up in the Olympics is even stranger than I thought.  @Old Guy gets a quick shoutout for mocking the idea of ballroom dancing being  an Olympic event.  Seems the ballroom dancing lobby had been trying for years to get it into the Olympics.  As a direct result of their efforts, break dancing was added instead.

The sport dragged into the Olympics without its consent

This scares me that ballroom dancing is trying to become an Olympic, "sport!" 

US hosts in 2028 and I know the host country gets to add one sport. I'd like to propose they not only get to add one sport, but they should also get to subtract one. 

It has to be something that is fringe like break dancing or the **** they do on mats they run around with ribbons waving them in the air and twirling them. Not a sport. 

One comes in and one goes out. 

• Like 1

Well, Paris dropped two sports: Karate and Baseball/Softball.

LA is adding Lacrosse, Squash, Flag Football and is adding back Baseball/Softball as well as Cricket, no word on Karate.  By all accounts the two sports from Paris that will not be in LA are Breaking and Boxing, but there might be another one.

FWIW, if you are interested in what events are potential additions to future Olympics check out what is on offer at the World Games, since empirically that's where Breaking came from (it's one of four medals the World Games award in "Dance Sport" and easily the one that would make for the best TV.)

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, Paris dropped two sports: Karate and Baseball/Softball.

LA is adding Lacrosse, Squash, Flag Football and is adding back Baseball/Softball as well as Cricket, no word on Karate.  By all accounts the two sports from Paris that will not be in LA are Breaking and Boxing, but there might be another one.

What are we discontinuing boxing in the Olympics? 

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What are we discontinuing boxing in the Olympics? 

Because one of the things the IOC wants (and is justified as wanting) is to work with a trustworthy international governing body that handles things like "what should the rules be" that essentially wants what the IOC wants out of the sport in terms of growing it, showcasing the best at it, putting it in a positive light, etc..  As happens from time to time in boxing, the governing body in boxing has become incorrigibly corrupt* as it is not interested in "showcasing boxing" and more interested in "protecting specific fighters in order to make more money off of their fights" and will need to be replaced by a significantly less corrupt one.  This will happen when it happens (it has happened before in boxing), but until it happens boxing is not welcomed into the Olympics.

Like the basic reason the Olympics want an international governing body for a sport is that the Olympics do not want to have to run all the events (tournaments etc.) that determine "which people get to compete in the Olympics" but they also want to be sure that the people who compete in the events are actually very, very good at those events.  So they prefer, for example, the IJF to run all the International Judo tournaments (e.g. the European Individual Championship)   So the choice for the IOC is "run a whole bunch of boxing tournaments" when they're not really experts on boxing, or drop it from the Olympics.  The IOC actually gave up on the IBA in 2023, but a bunch of people had already qualified, so it wasn't fair to those athletes to drop the event for 2024.  So we're just not going to bother to run the qualifying tournaments this time around.

*yes, I understand the irony of the IOC being concerned with "corrupt officials" but there is a difference in the kind of corruption between "we will put our event in your city if you bribe us" and "we will make sure a certain individual or team is victorious, because this benefits us".  Like FIFA is corrupt (why else was the World Cup in Qatar?) but they don't like "prefer certain teams win their individual games."  Their corruption is something we can tolerate because it does not affect the games themselves.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Because one of the things the IOC wants (and is justified as wanting) is to work with a trustworthy international governing body that handles things like "what should the rules be" that essentially wants what the IOC wants out of the sport in terms of growing it, showcasing the best at it, putting it in a positive light, etc..  As happens from time to time in boxing, the governing body in boxing has become incorrigibly corrupt* as it is not interested in "showcasing boxing" and more interested in "protecting specific fighters in order to make more money off of their fights" and will need to be replaced by a significantly less corrupt one.  This will happen when it happens (it has happened before in boxing), but until it happens boxing is not welcomed into the Olympics.

Like the basic reason the Olympics want an international governing body for a sport is that the Olympics do not want to have to run all the events (tournaments etc.) that determine "which people get to compete in the Olympics" but they also want to be sure that the people who compete in the events are actually very, very good at those events.  So they prefer, for example, the IJF to run all the International Judo tournaments (e.g. the European Individual Championship)   So the choice for the IOC is "run a whole bunch of boxing tournaments" when they're not really experts on boxing, or drop it from the Olympics.  The IOC actually gave up on the IBA in 2023, but a bunch of people had already qualified, so it wasn't fair to those athletes to drop the event for 2024.  So we're just not going to bother to run the qualifying tournaments this time around.

*yes, I understand the irony of the IOC being concerned with "corrupt officials" but there is a difference in the kind of corruption between "we will put our event in your city if you bribe us" and "we will make sure a certain individual or team is victorious, because this benefits us".  Like FIFA is corrupt (why else was the World Cup in Qatar?) but they don't like "prefer certain teams win their individual games."  Their corruption is something we can tolerate because it does not affect the games themselves.

Thanks for the explanation. 

I'm just old enough to remember some of the great American Olympic boxers. 

Edited by Old Guy