Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

3 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Release him and get it over with. I know that Theo wants to be part of the "solution" and not just abandon Russell, but it's time to let him go. 

I expect the Cubs to get quite a bit of PR backlash if they keep him on the team, and more if they end up going with Sinclair for their new network. 

I definitely would expect it with the former, and I will be one of the ones giving it.  But there really shouldn't be any outcry if Sinclair is the broadcast group that shells out $200+ million a year for the broadcast rights to the Cubs.  They would only be able to show the Cubs games, not allow their "fake news" and other far right wing scripted messages to be shown during the games.  It's only the News programs that do that.  Teams aren't facing backlash for having their games shown on Fox, and Fox News isn't really any different.  

On 12/21/2018 at 11:20 AM, hrubes20 said:

I like Pat and Ron when I can't watch.  Good duo.

They’re great for day games when I’m at work.

Watching some other games this year really gave me an appreciation for our guys, both for TV and radio. Some of these guys don’t seem like they’re doing a better job than I would if you put me in a booth with an info sheet on the team. 

4 hours ago, pwny said:

Meh.  I realize he's just a 5th starter option for next year, but still.  Meh.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

They’re great for day games when I’m at work.

Watching some other games this year really gave me an appreciation for our guys, both for TV and radio. Some of these guys don’t seem like they’re doing a better job than I would if you put me in a booth with an info sheet on the team. 

For sure.  Some really terrible TV guys out there on other teams.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Meh.  I realize he's just a 5th starter option for next year, but still.  Meh.

Deal happened.

One-year, $575,000. Escalates to $2M if he’s on the active roster for a game  

$3-million club option for 2020 with no buyout cost. 

Basically a minor league deal with an option for the 25 man roster if he gets things worked out. Nothing to get excited or worried about.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

For sure.  Some really terrible TV guys out there on other teams.

I watched the Reds feed for a game. Watched Billy Hamilton make an incredible play in the outfield. The announcers barely seemed to care. How can someone listen to that garbage? How can a station and team expect anyone to tune in to hear people who don’t give a damn about the game?

People flame Joe Buck all the time, and I get it. But at least the dude actually seems to care and get excited. He’s at least trying. 

26 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

A big deal like he'll get will always make me nervous.

In the NFL, I get that weariness. The hard salary cap can cause all types of issues when a contract doesn’t work out. But I don’t get it with baseball. The Ricketts aren’t Jeffrey Loria, where they just don’t have the type of team revenue to pay a ton of guys. The Cubs are swimming in money and will be for the foreseeable future with this TV deal coming. Any payroll restrictions are their own creation.

Just pay another player a ton of money if this contract doesn’t live up to the hype. It won’t hurt that bad.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:14 AM, pwny said:

In the NFL, I get that weariness. The hard salary cap can cause all types of issues when a contract doesn’t work out. But I don’t get it with baseball. The Ricketts aren’t Jeffrey Loria, where they just don’t have the type of team revenue to pay a ton of guys. The Cubs are swimming in money and will be for the foreseeable future with this TV deal coming. Any payroll restrictions are their own creation.

Just pay another player a ton of money if this contract doesn’t live up to the hype. It won’t hurt that bad.

It's the biggest competitive advantage the Cubs have over the rest of the NL Central, and they realize that.  The other teams will never have the option of signing a Bryce Harper on the open market.  We do, and should be able to for a long time with the funny money set to start flowing.  

• 2 weeks later...