Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

14 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Anyone else see that "report" that we'd have to move money just to sign a mid-tier reliever? 

I have a hard time believing that. 

Yeah, that clinched it for me.  I had mixed feelings over how much of the "Cubs are broke" narrative to believe this offseason, but now there is a report that the Cubs may not even be able to afford a JAG like Adam Warren?  That's clearly misdirection by someone.  The Cubs don't bring back Cole Hamels for $20 million if it means they have to sit out the rest of the offseason.  Bryce Harper to the Cubs confirmed.

I really don't care if the Cubs get Harper or not, but I thought that they would definitely make some moves this offseason, and I'm pretty disappointed to see some players signing rather team-friendly deals while the Cubs sit on their hands. A guy like Lowrie or LaMehieu would've been a nice way to add to the lineup, and if the Cubs cut Russell it only would've cost them an extra $6M or $8M for next year. 

At minimum, the Cubs still need to add a backup catcher and probably two relievers. 

2 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I really don't care if the Cubs get Harper or not, but I thought that they would definitely make some moves this offseason, and I'm pretty disappointed to see some players signing rather team-friendly deals while the Cubs sit on their hands. A guy like Lowrie or LaMehieu would've been a nice way to add to the lineup, and if the Cubs cut Russell it only would've cost them an extra $6M or $8M for next year. 

At minimum, the Cubs still need to add a backup catcher and probably two relievers. 

Lowrie would have.  Not D.J.  He has a career 81 wRC+ away from Coors.  Think of what Darwin Barney provided the Cubs many years ago and project that for LeMahieu.  

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

Silver lining is that he's now slightly more attractice to prospective trade partners?  I think he was projected to get around $5 million in arbitration.

I’m resigned to the fact that they aren’t going to trade him. They’re going to trot him out there and pretend that he’s changed and it’s all okay what he did because he said he wanted to be a better teammate and took some pictures with his kids on Christmas.

We were planning on going to all three games opening weekend down in Arlington, but I think that’s getting cancelled now. 

1 minute ago, pwny said:

I’m resigned to the fact that they aren’t going to trade him. They’re going to trot him out there and pretend that he’s changed and it’s all okay what he did because he said he wanted to be a better teammate and took some pictures with his kids on Christmas.

We were planning on going to all three games opening weekend down in Arlington, but I think that’s getting cancelled now. 

You shut your whore mouth.  I will never give up hope that: 

1.  Addison Russell never suits up for the Cubs again; and

2.  The OD lineup is:

Zobrist-2B

Harper - RF

KB - 3B

Rizzo - 1B

Javy - SS

Schwarber - LF

Contreras - C

Almora/Heyward/Happ - CF

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

You shut your whore mouth.  I will never give up hope that: 

1.  Addison Russell never suits up for the Cubs again; and

2.  The OD lineup is:

Zobrist-2B

Harper - RF

KB - 3B

Rizzo - 1B

Javy - SS

Schwarber - LF

Contreras - C

Almora/Heyward/Happ - CF

I hope you’re right. 

23 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Lowrie would have.  Not D.J.  He has a career 81 wRC+ away from Coors.  Think of what Darwin Barney provided the Cubs many years ago and project that for LeMahieu.  

That's almost exactly the offensive production that we have gotten from Russell the last two years, though. If you believe that having a high-contact guy can benefit the offense, LeMahieu would've been a nice, inexpensive change. Besides, isn't wRC+ park adjusted? 

Edited by Lions017

On 1/12/2019 at 12:43 PM, Lions017 said:

That's almost exactly the offensive production that we have gotten from Russell the last two years, though. If you believe that having a high-contact guy can benefit the offense, LeMahieu would've been a nice, inexpensive change. Besides, isn't wRC+ park adjusted? 

A change, absolutely.  But we aren't looking for a change just to make a change.  We're looking for an upgrade, and while Russell is loathesome and I want him nowhere near the Cubs, LeMahieu isn't an upgade when Javy and Zobrist are both decent options at 2B.  Yes, wRC+ is park adjusted.  

3 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Just really looked at our bullpen and yikes. 

I'd much rather upgrade that than sign Harper. We absolutely need help there. 

I feel pretty confident that they will make a move somewhere to turn Chatwood into a useable reliever.  Really don't want to see him in the pen, but that's where he would be if the season started today.