Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

19 hours ago, bootsy said:

Spring training is happening. Other than that not sure what else you want.

I want the Cubs to sign Bryce Harper.  Or Manny Machado.  Hell, or even Craig Kimbrel on a short team deal.  I would also really like a Martin Maldonado signing.  

I still badly want to see Addison Russell traded as well.

8 hours ago, Forge said:

The rangers signed Hunter pence. 

That goofy bastard needs to stay in baseball as long as possible.  I approve.

4 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I want the Cubs to sign Bryce Harper.  Or Manny Machado.  Hell, or even Craig Kimbrel on a short team deal.  I would also really like a Martin Maldonado signing.  

Well I want a lot things too like that but they aren't happening so just root for the team that you got which is pretty good.

8 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Getting any of those guys on a short term deal would be amazing to me. I doubt it happens unfortunately. 

19 hours ago, bootsy said:

Well I want a lot things too like that but they aren't happening so just root for the team that you got which is pretty good.

Image result for excuse me gif

15 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Getting any of those guys on a short term deal would be amazing to me. I doubt it happens unfortunately. 

I wonder what kind of money Maldonado is asking for.  I think both he and Kimbrel end up signing shorter term deals, and I can't imagine Maldonado is asking for so much that he couldn't be fit in under whatever imaginary budgetary restrictions the Ricketts have placed on the FO.

Also, new TV deal is done finally.  It was as predicted by most, with the Cubs forming their own network named Marquee, ala YES and the Yankees.  They are partnered with Sinclair Broadcasting (gross) but Sinclair has some major clout in forcing their channels to get picked up (i.e. if you want ABC or CBS, you have to pick up Marquee as well).  No revenue estimates yet, but it's gonna be substantial no matter what.  My guess is probably around $200 million per year.  The Cubs currently get $70 million or so per year for their TV rights.  

Now make it rain on Bryce Harper.

11 hours ago, pwny said:

Xavier Cedeño got inked to a one year deal. Bullpen lefty. 

Minor league deal for beans.  He's a really good LOOGY.  Can't believe he couldn't get a better deal than that.

Bullpen is really starting to fill up now.  I wonder what the hell the plan is for Chatwood.  Who are they going to boot from the bullpen to make room for him?  

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Bullpen is really starting to fill up now.  I wonder what the hell the plan is for Chatwood.  Who are they going to boot from the bullpen to make room for him?  

Really hoping they have a deal to move him to *open up* cash for Harper or Machado. 

40 minutes ago, pwny said:

Theo said the other day that Russell has to meet an extremely high standard to ever play for the Cubs again. I assume this is just garbage speech intended to placate people who are upset, but I hope it’s true. 

That interview actually helped a little bit for me with the Russell situation.  It sounds like they have placed quite the myriad of programs and steps in his path to making it back to the team.  It's not going to be easy for him, which is at least the bare minimum I wanted to see from the team (still would have preferred trading him).  But the big thing for me will be Russell's comments.  I'm sure he will be coached up like no other, but sincerity isn't always so easily faked.  Theo said he (Russell) will address the media sometime after position players report to ST.

Edited by hrubes20