Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

If the Cubs don’t sign Kimbrel by the start of next series, we riot. This Pen is a disaster, just three games into the season. 

Imagine scoring 27 runs in a 3 game series and starting 1-2 because the Pen can’t do one damn thing right. 

20 minutes ago, pwny said:

If the Cubs don’t sign Kimbrel by the start of next series, we riot. This Pen is a disaster, just three games into the season. 

Imagine scoring 27 runs in a 3 game series and starting 1-2 because the Pen can’t do one damn thing right. 

I hope we do, but I'm not counting on it.

21 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Yeah that was tough to watch. 

At least Q looked solid, and so did the offense. 

Q really did look good.  Velocity was really solid.  Command was solid.  Very nice to see.  That's the guy the Cubs traded all that prospect wealth for.  

17 hours ago, pwny said:

I have to ask why the hell Montgomery isn't on the IL.  He missed a bunch of ST with a shoulder injury, and you can tell he doesn't have anything right now.  He has no business being on the mound in anything other than a blowout.  

Edwards had a disastrous first outing, but that's kind of the rub with him.  He'll be untouchable for 5 out of 6 appearances, and then he lays an egg like Saturday.  Easily the most frustrating Cubs reliever since Carlos Marmol.

The biggest pitching disappointment to me was Darvish.  Dude couldn't throw a strike to save his life.  I have huge expectations for him in year 2 with the Cubs, and that was about as terrible of a start as you could have imagined, barring another injury.  

On the plus side, it's only 3 games in but the entire offense seems to have found the 2016 identity again.  Tons of long, grinding PAs; tons of walks (13.3%); very few strikeouts (15.7%); and plenty of power (.228 ISO).

Which is obviously a great thing, because the pitching obviously isn't showing much to start the year.

10 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The biggest pitching disappointment to me was Darvish.  Dude couldn't throw a strike to save his life.  I have huge expectations for him in year 2 with the Cubs, and that was about as terrible of a start as you could have imagined, barring another injury.  

On that third batter he faced, he got a non-call for what should have been strike 3 and striking out the side. Instead, he just imploded after not getting that call. Wasn't fun to watch.

I don't think that the bullpen is really that bad, but it sure as hell isn't good either. It's good when everyone is clicking, but guys like Edwards also totally implode. He's not a guy that you're going to be able to trust if they implement the rule where relievers have to face all three batters next year. When he's off of his game he will walk all three. 

Darvish was tough to watch. I thought that he would get off to a good start after a solid spring. 

The only starters I'm really confident in are Quintana and Hendricks. Darvish is a wild card at this point, and Lester and Hamels are at the age where the wheels might fall off at any point. 

Edited by Lions017