Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

20 hours ago, pwny said:

Heyward was a late scratch yesterday and isn’t in the lineup today. Rumors that the Giants are interested in him.

I also saw a tweet that mentioned that Zobrist reported 4 days late, and still hasn't appeared in any of the first 6 games.  No reports of injury. There have been quite a few rumors about him being potentially  moved this offseason as well.

12 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Doubt it's anything, but who knows.

Agreed.  But until Bryce signs somewhere, I'm not going to compeltely abandon hope.

Brach had his contract renegotiated because he had mono this offseason.  This doesn't please me.  Brach was fairly terrible before he regained his velocity in Atlanta.  If that velocity is gone this year due to the mono (he reportedly lost 10 pounds), he's not worth a roster spot.  

Holy crap.  We apparently offered Brian McCann a deal this offseason, but he wanted to return to the Braves.  Thank God.  I couldn't stand having both McCann AND Russell on the same team.  I'm upset enough about Russell still being here.

On 3/11/2019 at 4:33 PM, Blazer026 said:

I want to complain more about us not spending money this offseason, but we have the 2nd highest payroll. 

When everybody else in the league is purposely not spending money as well, it makes it much less impressive. 

This is a team that brings in like half a billion dollars of revenue each year, and that was before the new TV deal was announced, which will double or triple the current TV revenues.  Ricketts can afford to blow past the luxury tax without blinking.  They are purposely choosing to enrich themselves at the expense of the product on the field.  Harper was a clear upgrade at a position of need to a team that looks to be in a very tough division battle this year.  Kimbrel is a clear upgrade at a position of need to a team that looks to be in a very tough division battle this year.  With a healthy KB and Yu to start the year, I still have the Cubs as the favorites in the Central, but it's way too close for comfort.  

• Like 1

So, this team really needs Kimbrel now.  Check out the pen to begin the year:

Morrow - On the DL

Strop - Hurt hammy, may begin season on DL

Duensing - Sucks

Kintzler - Sucks

Chatwood - Sucks

Montgomery - Has had a sore shoulder this ST

Cishek - Used a bunch last year and not sure if there will be repercussions

Brach - Had mono in the offseason, lost 10 pounds, and his velocity is down again this Spring

Edwards - Terrific reliever when he's right, but we know he will occasionally have bouts of wildness

Xavier Cedeno - Been hurt all ST and won't be healthy to start the year

Maples - He's looked terrific this spring, but is still not big league tested

Mills - He will be in AAA as a 7th starter in case of injury to the big league rotation

Norwood - See Maples

Rosario - He's not really that great

There are a bunch of other AAAA options that are fairly terrible and don't deserve to be listed.  

That pen has the chance to put the team 5 games out of 1st place by the end of May.  Kimbrel wouldn't solve all the problems there, but he would be a terrific band-aid until Morrow and Strop get fully healthy.

21 hours ago, pwny said:

Happ got optioned to AAA.

That’s shocking. 

I've never been that big of a fan. He's really struggling this spring too. 

I think it'll be best for him to get consistent AB's to figure it out. He wouldn't get that here.

I actually like Zagunis against lefties.

Also quite excited we dumped Duensing.  

2 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I've never been that big of a fan. He's really struggling this spring too. 

I think it'll be best for him to get consistent AB's to figure it out. He wouldn't get that here.

I actually like Zagunis against lefties.

Also quite excited we dumped Duensing.  

My dislike for Happ is well-noted on here.  He should have been dealt when he still had a ton of shiny prospect value.  Obviously it would be terrific if he ever figured out the contact issues, but my money is against it.

VERY happy that Duensing got cut.  Now they just need to bite the bullet and cut Kintzler.