Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

9 minutes ago, pwny said:

He literally walked back the statement the next day after the Cubs PR team got ahold of him. Then he said “The reaction to me I feel like I have to respect that. My actions are what they are, and I have to be responsible for them.  I have nothing but respect for the fans. It’s a goal to get the respect of Cubs fans back, so having said that it’s just out of respect for them. I have nothing but respect for them. I just wish that it could be on different terms, you know? I’m just continuing to get better and know (the reaction is) not always going to be good.”

Maybe he could have said that at first on his own instead of needing to monotonely repeat what the Cubs PR told him to say after he already made an *** of himself.

Did you read the whole article?

19 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Did you read the whole article?

I listened to his whole statement, just as I’ve listened to all his statements. It fits in perfectly with all his other statements where he takes zero responsibility for anything he’s ever done and expects everything be given to him just because he did the bare minimum.

It’s on him to prove he’s not an unlikable prick and to make fans trust he’s changed. That’s his role as a public figure. It’s not on me to just deal with the fact that he’s an unlikable prick that shows no remorse.

11 hours ago, pwny said:

I listened to his whole statement, just as I’ve listened to all his statements. It fits in perfectly with all his other statements where he takes zero responsibility for anything he’s ever done and expects everything be given to him just because he did the bare minimum.

It’s on him to prove he’s not an unlikable prick and to make fans trust he’s changed. That’s his role as a public figure. It’s not on me to just deal with the fact that he’s an unlikable prick that shows no remorse.

I'm not going to tell you you have to like the guy or cant boo him, but I dont see anything wrong with the comments themselves.  Also I do think it's a tad hypocritical to attack Russell after celebrating Chapman.  

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm not going to tell you you have to like the guy or cant boo him, but I dont see anything wrong with the comments themselves. 

Then why did Cubs PR make him retract the statement if it wasn't problematic?

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Also I do think it's a tad hypocritical to attack Russell after celebrating Chapman.  

Yeah, that would be hypocritical. Good thing those of us upset with Russell also had a hard stance against Chapman too.

UjMJvru.png

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Then why did Cubs PR make him retract the statement if it wasn't problematic?

Yeah, that would be hypocritical. Good thing those of us upset with Russell also had a hard stance against Chapman too.

UjMJvru.png

Probably bc of reactions like this.  This same article hes talking about thanking the fans, loving the fans, wanting to win another championship for the city, how much he loves Chicago, and here we are talking about a pretty innocuous comment.  Again, what is he supposed to say?  

I'm not going to blame fans for booing him.  I'm not going to blame Russell for saying if the fans boo that's on them.  Both sides have a leg to stand on.  It's probably best for all parties at this point if he gets traded.  But Jed and Theo dont care about my (or any other fans') opinion, they are going to do what's best for the Cubs.  

7 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Again, what is he supposed to say?  

Again, “The reaction to me I feel like I have to respect that. My actions are what they are, and I have to be responsible for them.  I have nothing but respect for the fans. It’s a goal to get the respect of Cubs fans back, so having said that it’s just out of respect for them. I have nothing but respect for them. I just wish that it could be on different terms, you know? I’m just continuing to get better and know (the reaction is) not always going to be good.” That's literally all he had to say the first time instead of saying it's on the fans for disliking him. That's literally it, and it's a non-issue. But nope, he never takes responsibility for the things he does, so he thinks any negative reaction is someone else's problem.

But before we go any further, I just realized maybe we may not be viewing the "that's on them" as meaning the same thing. What exactly do you view the meaning of "that's on you" to be?

15 minutes ago, pwny said:

Again, “The reaction to me I feel like I have to respect that. My actions are what they are, and I have to be responsible for them.  I have nothing but respect for the fans. It’s a goal to get the respect of Cubs fans back, so having said that it’s just out of respect for them. I have nothing but respect for them. I just wish that it could be on different terms, you know? I’m just continuing to get better and know (the reaction is) not always going to be good.” That's literally all he had to say the first time instead of saying it's on the fans for disliking him. That's literally it, and it's a non-issue. But nope, he never takes responsibility for the things he does, so he thinks any negative reaction is someone else's problem.

But before we go any further, I just realized maybe we may not be viewing the "that's on them" as meaning the same thing. What exactly do you view the meaning of "that's on you" to be?

The way I read it is, I'm going to go out and play, I cant control what the fans do, so if they want to boo they boo.  That's on them.  I just have to go out and play to the best of my ability.  I really think you are reading a little too much into it because of your personal distaste of the guy.  I dont like what he did...at all, and there is no justification for it.  But I have no idea what steps hes taken to correct it, if he has.  What he feels about himself, none of it.  So I'm not going to condemn him for all eternity.  His judgement will come, but I'm not the one who gets to pass it.  For now hes on my baseball team, and I want my baseball team to do well, and ostensibly him as well.  I would prefer he wasnt here, but he is, and as long as he is, I hope he hits it onto Sheffield every AB

4 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The way I read it is, I'm going to go out and play, I cant control what the fans do, so if they want to boo they boo.  That's on them.  I just have to go out and play to the best of my ability.  I really think you are reading a little too much into it because of your personal distaste of the guy.  I dont like what he did...at all, and there is no justification for it.  But I have no idea what steps hes taken to correct it, if he has.  What he feels about himself, none of it.  So I'm not going to condemn him for all eternity.  His judgement will come, but I'm not the one who gets to pass it.  For now hes on my baseball team, and I want my baseball team to do well, and ostensibly him as well.  I would prefer he wasnt here, but he is, and as long as he is, I hope he hits it onto Sheffield every AB

But again, what does "that's on them" mean? Because it seems like you're reading it as "they can do as they want" but that's not what the phrase means at all. It means "that's their problem, not mine" which is really problematic to talk about fans who dislike domestic violence.

Just now, pwny said:

But again, what does "that's on them" mean? Because it seems like you're reading it as "they can do as they want" but that's not what the phrase means at all. It means "that's their problem," which is really problematic to talk about fans who dislike domestic violence.

No offense, I really kinda hate the term problematic, especially the way it gets used these days.  I guess you could kinda look at it as "that's their problem" if you want.  Its splitting hairs really.  To me its "that's their choice" it's the way I use it when I use it.  It's a term for me that means I cant control it.  And he cant.  He could come out and say exactly what someone says he "should" say.  He can be a model citizen.  Some people are going to boo no matter what bc of what he did.  And that's their right.  What truly sucks for him is, there is nothing that he "should" say.  There is nothing that is going to remove the stench of DV from him.  This is part of paying the consequences.  There is no right way to act, no right thing to say.  All he can do is just live his life and try to be better for it. In that I wish him well. I just dont think we need to parse his meaning behind an innocuous statement, and then call it "problematic"

6 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

No offense, I really kinda hate the term problematic, especially the way it gets used these days.  I guess you could kinda look at it as "that's their problem" if you want.  Its splitting hairs really.  To me its "that's their choice" it's the way I use it when I use it.  It's a term for me that means I cant control it.  And he cant.  He could come out and say exactly what someone says he "should" say.  He can be a model citizen.  Some people are going to boo no matter what bc of what he did.  And that's their right.  What truly sucks for him is, there is nothing that he "should" say.  There is nothing that is going to remove the stench of DV from him.  This is part of paying the consequences.  There is no right way to act, no right thing to say.  All he can do is just live his life and try to be better for it. In that I wish him well. I just dont think we need to parse his meaning behind an innocuous statement, and then call it "problematic"

I mean if you want to change the definition of an idiom to make him seem like a better guy, that's your prerogative. But it's not what it means. And because people know what it actually means, they're attaching the proper response to it.

See below for every site that goes over the definition of the idiom.

TOP DEFINITION

it's on you

it's fault of the subject

It generally means "it is your responsibility." By responsibility it means that the blame or the victory would belong to you - sometimes it is said when someone is taking a risk or doing something that could go badly. The person saying it means "it is your choice, but don't blame me if it fails." Particularly in superhero movies where people are doing dangerous things all the time.

"If you do this, you are responsible for the consequences."

the meaning would be "it is on your conscious". In other words, if it's a bad idea, you take the blame for it. 

When you say, "it's on you," it means that you have to take responsibility for something, with a connotation of negativity. So if someone disagreed with you about a choice you were making, he might then say "it's on you," to make it clear that he is not taking any of the responsibility for the consequences of your choice. A very short definition would be "it's your fault."

Honestly, I think Addy is a piece of trash. I was certain he would not be on this team this year, and I was totally happy with that assumption. Apparently, I was wrong. 

I also think there needs to be a major discussion about redemption in this country. People make really bad decisions. Does that mean they should never be allowed to make a dollar again? I’m not sure how I feel about it, tbh.   

Miss me with the “so you’re saying” strawman. I’m just thinking out loud. 

2 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Honestly, I think Addy is a piece of trash. I was certain he would not be on this team this year, and I was totally happy with that assumption. Apparently, I was wrong. 

I also think there needs to be a major discussion about redemption in this country. People make really bad decisions. Does that mean they should never be allowed to make a dollar again? I’m not sure how I feel about it, tbh.   

Miss me with the “so you’re saying” strawman. I’m just thinking out loud. 

I personally do believe in second chances. But I think there needs to be a path taken to redemption. Robert Downey Jr. didn’t do completely earth shatteringly bad things, but he did a good job of rebuilding who he was. Michael Vick seemed to put in efforts to become a better man, and I can respect that even if I still never felt comfortable rooting for him. Dede Westbrook hit his girlfriend while he was in college, and now donates a ton of money to domestic abuse shelters and volunteers to help women in bad situations and really seems to get that he needed to grow as a person.  

Like you said, it’s hard to navigate whether one believes a public figure has done enough to atone for all they’ve done. 

But I don’t really see how Russell has done anything to justify being given a second chance. He denied everything until MLB had evidence he did it. He continued to make Melissa’s life hard by not paying child support. Any time he goes off the PR script, he says something that shows he doesn’t get it. And when he’s on script, there’s clearly nothing but a monotonous tone to it, as if he can’t even pretend that he actually means it.

• Like 1