Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

That was an utterly inexcusable series in Milwaukee.  Should have swept, but ended up 1-2.  Can't have that.

Cubs just added David Phelps for Thomas Hatch, who would be outside the current top 30 prospects in the system.  Phelps is coming back from TJS and hasn't gotten his velo all the way back yet, but seems serviceable enough.  Not the addition I really would have liked, but prices must have been pretty crazy for relievers.  Have to imagine they are full up now:

Kimbrel/Kintzler/Cishek/Wick (he has looked terrific)/Ryan/Chatwood/Phelps/Holland/Brach (he needs to be gone yesterday)

Still could use that upgrade to CF, and preferably a leadoff option.  But I'm iffy on whether or not to spend much prospect currency to really go for it this year.  I just don't get the vibe with this squad that I did in years past.  They are too lifeless for lengthy stretches of time.  

Smart, low-cost moves for the team. Probably the smartest route with this team not looking like they have it to win a title this season.

Castellanos for a couple of nobodies in the farm system is the deal that needed to be done. A good bat who actually leads the majors in 2B hits. He's a good hitter against Lefties, a major shortcoming for this team, and consistent as a hitter. He can be a liability in the field sometimes, but we have enough good defenders that you can sacrifice that when we're having so many problems just getting consistent hitting out of guys.

Tony Kemp for Martin Maldonado is an okay deal. They were clearly trying to trade one of the Catchers, so it makes sense to move the one with the lowest upside, even if they were originally interested in his framing. Kemp should be a small upgrade over the complete lack of offense we've had at 2B all year. A decent bench bat, and he's a high contact, low swing and miss guy, something the team really needs.

Brad Wieck hasn't had a good season, but Carl's time with the team has run its course and they really weren't getting much else for him. A lefty that can eat an inning was definitely a need, and hopefully, he can play more like he did mid-late April. His wipeout slider isn't there, and you hope that the longer removed he is from his testicular cancer surgery, the better that pitch comes back.

I'm on board too. Castellanos is a decent rental that will at least platoon with Schwarber. Kemp is a nice utility guy - I like how he's passable at 2B and seems to be really good in the outfield. The prospects that they gave up all are kind of redundant, it seems like they have a ton of guys that could be fifth starters or middle relievers right now and needed to clear some space anyway. 

I am a bit bummed that Edwards is gone, but it's probably good for him. At a certain point players kind of reach their potential with one team. 

Took the family to Glacier National Park and have been away from reliable internet for awhile.  Apparently I have been missing Castellanos become the hitting version of Rick Suttcliffe.

9 Games - .405/.450/.892 - 4 HRs (only 11 HRs in 100 games with Tigers)

19 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

Not exactly proving me wrong so far.

Big W today to split the series.  I will definitely take that, all things considered (Reds dominating us this year; road woes; whole bullpen on the IL; etc).  

Ian Happ can continue to make me eat crow all he wants, btw.  It's only been 50 PAs or so, but he's been raking and generally making solid contact.  That's something I never thought I'd see out of him at the big league level again.

• Like 2

This team is pissing me off with their complete inability to play consistently good baseball on the road.

On the plus side, Castellanos is still hitting everything in sight.  What a freaking great pickup he's proving to be so far.  .380/415/.800 (207 wRC+) as a Cub.

I have very reserved excitement for Brailyn Marquez because TINSTAAPP, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that he looks like he has figured things out, even after getting promoted to High A.  His past 7 starts have been sublime (1.22 ERA, K rate near 12, BB rate about 2.5, tons of groundballs, etc).  For those unfamiliar, he's a giant lefty that has been clocked as high as 102 this year and has a slider that flashes plus and a change that is behind the other two pitches.  He's only 20, so there's time for the change to catch up.