Mike Tomlin - 3 Year Extension

I will say again that a major problem is that they have not had a reset.  Cowher had several resets.  Noll had several resets.  Tomlin has had no resets but a lot of rebuilding.  He has some way overachieving teams which must be on the coach.  I would much rather have suffered through the Steeler's last 10 years than the Browns.

The downside for Tomlin( like Cowher and Harbaugh) is they want this offense that is a pound-the-rock style.  I think that style does well in the regular season but not in the playoffs.  It works every once in a while.  Tomlin does have the good defense which a team needs to win but the offense must score points.  Until they get another franchise QB and a modern offense, I am seeing a lot of 7-10 win seasons and not much playoff success.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I will say again that a major problem is that they have not had a reset.  Cowher had several resets.  Noll had several resets.  Tomlin has had no resets but a lot of rebuilding.  He has some way overachieving teams which must be on the coach.  I would much rather have suffered through the Steeler's last 10 years than the Browns.

This is why I’m really impressed with what’s happened since the 2020 season. Smoke and mirrored their way to a 12-4 record. 2021 took a clearly depleted team that had no OL, no secondary, and 1 WR to the playoffs. Literally 1 too many Mitch starts from the playoffs in 2022. And got a trio of poor QB play (like bottom 5) to the playoffs.

I’m not going to go down the “what if” route but Johnson (who they just tried to trade for), Diggs (CB), and Hurts (who thought we were drafting him) were 3 of the next 4 picks. But deciding to hit a reset then rather than…i dunno what you want to call it…I call it a career extending attempt for Ben. Anyways to not go down that rabbit hole too much, but I consider the true rebuild to have started in 2023 offseason, and in the first year attempt of that to still make the playoffs is something.

tomlin has improved this offseason, making coaching changes and possibly finally removing players that needed to be gone.  Lets see how this translates on the field with the team in place. Khan has done a good job improving the roster, lets see how tomlin does the rest. I expect 11 wins and thats considering the tough schedule and some early learning/adjustments on offence and 2 rookies on the OL. 

If the team owns TOP, then I also expect a HOF coach to keep the best DL on the field more often rather than the usual DL rotation. Offence helps defence right there alone

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Really random and interesting insight from Trai Essex here that Tomlin pushing them hard was not seen as the “Steeler way” and they were used to lighter practices.

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1802296712012374090

will the steeler way continue being mediocre ?

What is better anyways, how do the best teams practice? Maybe thats a thing of the past anyways in todays game.   

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Pathetic.  3 more years of mediocrity and talking big.  There's not one redeemable quality about the guy.

the players like tomlin , so that counts and as long as the stadium sells out, the AR2 is happy. 

this team should be better, but how much  we will find out. Tomln having moore battle RT is laughable though especially since it has been said moore is strictly a LT and no good at RT. Nice one

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

the players like tomlin , so that counts and as long as the stadium sells out, the AR2 is happy. 

this team should be better, but how much  we will find out. Tomln having moore battle RT is laughable though especially since it has been said moore is strictly a LT and no good at RT. Nice one

The players liking Tomlin is half (or maybe most) of the problem.  He's their buddy, instead of their boss and disciplinarian.  He's enabled their buffoonish behavior, for years.  He's consistently outschemed and outcoached.  

I was reading today that the Steelers' ownership is the 3rd poorest in the NFL, with only the Bengals and Packers (who don't really count due to their BS ownership structure) being lower.  I guess that's what happens when the only reason you have money, and the only source of income, is the NFL team that your grandpa started and you inherited.  

54 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

The players liking Tomlin is half (or maybe most) of the problem.  He's their buddy, instead of their boss and disciplinarian.  He's enabled their buffoonish behavior, for years.  He's consistently outschemed and outcoached.  

I was reading today that the Steelers' ownership is the 3rd poorest in the NFL, with only the Bengals and Packers (who don't really count due to their BS ownership structure) being lower.  I guess that's what happens when the only reason you have money, and the only source of income, is the NFL team that your grandpa started and you inherited.  

agree on your tomlin points. Being a buddy isn't always ideal for a coach as we have seen.  Thats the steeler way for quite a while now.  Will a better roster make that much of a difference in 24 though? 

3rd poorest, funny seeing the word poor associated with nfl ownership ;)

Is tomlins contract fully guaranteed? If so, he will be here until the end or until he retires or asks to be traded somewhere. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I agree with most of this, but the one development for me is that now relatively in prime players are looking to come here to pay for him. This is huge IMO. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

The players liking Tomlin is half (or maybe most) of the problem.  He's their buddy, instead of their boss and disciplinarian.  He's enabled their buffoonish behavior, for years.

The Dude Yeah Well You Know Thats Just Like Your Opinion Man GIF

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, rlon said:

I agree with most of this, but the one development for me is that now relatively in prime players are looking to come here to pay for him. This is huge IMO. 

I thought similar to this (dabbled in pacifism)  but reality is that even with those vets in prime landing here, how has it gone?  

this year they landed a vet QB  for min wage, see how this goes.

I still discredit tomlin due to the coaches he has allowed here , no matter what vets show up here.  The expectations this year are higher because of the new players as well as new coaches. Proven OC is a start, but as for unproven coaches that fail - thats tomlins coaching tree and what we have had to endure for years now. 

this roster should help in a major way though, unless he has a way to ruin that moore starting at Rt or even being a reserve RT, not set at QB, Minkah not at (last years coaching fail) , Porter not on WR1, replacing players that aren't playing at high enough level, coaching in game adjustments, showing up ready in the 1st qaurter of a playoff game , DL rotation where the 2nd string is a 3rd string..... tired of typing  

Edited by 3rivers
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

even with those vets in prime landing here, how has it gone? 

How many vets in their prime have we really landed before the last two years?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

How many vets in their prime have we really landed before the last two years?

I was referring to the ones that have, so if it's last 2 years then thats it.  This team hasn't done well in perhaps 6 years? No matter though, thats in the past and it appears the FO as well as tomlin are improved. At least tomlin got a legit OC for a change and Khan appears to have added quality picks and UFA's. Not a grade A offseason (Sneed should be opposite Porter) but much improved