1st Round Mock Draft

Sepanak

FYI, I just joined and I have never been apart of, nor participated in any forum before so let me know if I am doing anything incorrectly.

I would like your opinions on my top 12 as well as how yours would differ. QB will most likely be the most common discrepancy people have but it is a difficult class to rank right now and like always, the hype will gradually rise until they are inevitably drafted higher and more frequently in the first round then most of them deserve to be.

Below is what I imagine happening in the top 12 picks of the draft (draft order has some small assumptions). This is of course ignoring 2018 free agency, including the assumption that critical players will be resigned (e.g. Kirk Cousins, Ezekiel Ansah, Le'Veon Bell, etc) since there is no way of knowing what will happen there. I will outline by three columns, 1st is the draft pick and team picking, 2nd is the player I think they should pick, and the 3rd is player I think they will probably pick.

Note that the "Should Picks" and "Will Picks" are assuming that previous "Should Picks" and "Will Picks", respectively, are indeed picked. And finally, just because I have someone going ahead of another of the same position, does not mean I think they are better, it may be either because the team will think they are better or I think it is a better fit for their offensive/defensive scheme. Also, this is my first crack at an actual selection of specific players rather than just positional groups so cut me some slack, I am just interested in opinions.

#

Team

Cleveland Browns

Should Pick

Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS

Will Pick

Josh Rosen, QB

New York Giants

Mike McGlinchey, LT

Lamar Jackson, QB

Indianapolis Colts

Quenton Nelson, OG

Saquon Barkley, RB

Cleveland Browns

Josh Rosen, QB

Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS

San Francisco 49ers

Courtland Sutton, WR

Courtland Sutton, WR

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bradley Chubb, DE

Bradley Chubb, DE

Cincinatti Bengals

Connor Williams, LT

Quenton Nelson, OG

Denver Broncos

Orlando Brown, RT

Orlando Brown, RT

New York Jets

Lamar Jackson, QB

Sam Darnold, QB

Chicago Bears

Calvin Ridley, WR

Calvin Ridley, WR

Arizona Cardinals

Baker Mayfield, QB

Josh Allen, QB

Miami Dolphins

Saquon Barkley, RB

Billy Price, G/C

Oakland Raiders

Roquan Smith, ILB

Denzel Ward, CB

Green Bay Packers

Derwin James, SS

Mike McGlinchey, LT

Washington Redskins

Josh Allen, ILB

Roquan Smith, ILB

Dallas Cowboys

Arden Key, DE

Jaire Alexander, CB

Buffalo Bills

Vita Vea, DT

Vita Vea, DT

Detroit Lions

Clelin Ferrell, DE

Arden Key, DE

Los Angeles Chargers

Malik Jefferson, ILB

Josh Allen, ILB

Atlanta Falcons

Christian Wilkins, DT

Christian Wilkins, DT

Baltimore Ravens

Derrius Guice, RB

Christian Kirk, WR

Seattle Seahawks

Jaire Alexander, CB

Connor Williams, LT

Carolina Panthers

Josh Jackson, CB

Derwin James, SS

Tennessee Titans

Harold Landry, DE

Clelin Ferrell, DE

Buffalo Bills

Sam Darnold, QB

Baker Mayfield, QB

Jacksonville Jaguars

Christian Kirk, WR

Auden Tate, WR

New Orleans Saints

Tremaine Edmunds, OLB

Malik Jefferson, ILB

Philadelphia Eagles

Kolton Miller, LT

Kolton Miller, LT

Los Angeles Rams

Carlton Davis, CB

Josh Jackson, CB

Pittsburgh Steelers

Josh Allen, QB

Ronnie Harrison, SS

New England Patriots

Maurice Hurst, DT

Harold Landry, OLB/DE

Minnesota Vikings

Donte Jackson, CB

Carlton Davis, CB

Welcome to the forum. I'll leave this open for you for a little bit to add in the full round. Forum rules ask that you do at least one full round. You might not have seen those rules (and I might not have posted them on the new forum), so you can update the the mock, that would be great.

Thanks,

The Gnat

3 minutes ago, Sepanak said:

Ok, it took some time, but I have edited the Mock to have a full 1st Round.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Sepanak said:

Minnesota Vikings

Donte Jackson, CB

Carlton Davis, CB

I could see CB, and I wouldn't complain if the Vikings are drafting at 32. I tend to think that OG/UT would be better options.

Sutton in the Top 5? Thats a tough one for me to see happening, he's had a few poor games this year that make me worry. I like the player but top 5 or even the first round seems like it would be a Darius Heyward Bay type mistake. 

I'm curious about your format. You think the Jets should pick Lamar Jackson at 9 but have him picked already by the Giants at 2. 

58 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Sutton in the Top 5? Thats a tough one for me to see happening, he's had a few poor games this year that make me worry. I like the player but top 5 or even the first round seems like it would be a Darius Heyward Bay type mistake. 

I'm curious about your format. You think the Jets should pick Lamar Jackson at 9 but have him picked already by the Giants at 2. 

The right-most column is my "what I think they will pick" column, where as the column left of that is my "what I think they should pick". I think the Lamar Jackson's hype will jump up in offseason and Giants will be seduced into taking him. Although, I think they need to prioritze the O-line, which is why I having them taking arguably (and I do mean arguably) the best LT in the draft.

As for Sutton, I picked him going to the 49ers because I think their focus is going to be putting weapons around Garoppolo. Sutton is a WR1, Red-Zone Threat type guy and I think they will and arguably should reach for him because of it. If not, I can see them going for Nelson, Barkley (if they lose Hyde), or whoever the top CB is going into the draft.

13 minutes ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

If you think the Bengals "will" take a guard in the top 10 over a tackle, you don't know the Bengals. :) 

I honestly don't know them extremely well. My thought were they would go for the easy, safe plug-n-play type guy that could have an instant impact. Nelson dominates the interior and the Bengals run game is awful. Either way, I think they need to get the best OL available if they can't trade down to a team that is freaking out that 2 or 3 QB's are gone by this point (i.e. BUF, NYJ, DEN, ARI).

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Thanks!

I could see CB, and I wouldn't complain if the Vikings are drafting at 32. I tend to think that OG/UT would be better options.

You are right actually, I did not realize that they could potentially lose both of their starting guards. Perhaps, Billy Price would be the ideal target for them at the end of the 1st round then. Also, they have a lot of contracts ending this year so it will really depend on who gets re-signed as all 3 QB's and McKinnon have contracts ending this year as well. It'll be a busy offseason for them. They are solid though, if they resign the main talent, pick up an interior offensive lineman or two and a solid cornerback, they will be back again next year.

5 hours ago, Sepanak said:

I honestly don't know them extremely well. My thought were they would go for the easy, safe plug-n-play type guy that could have an instant impact. Nelson dominates the interior and the Bengals run game is awful. Either way, I think they need to get the best OL available if they can't trade down to a team that is freaking out that 2 or 3 QB's are gone by this point (i.e. BUF, NYJ, DEN, ARI).

They need O-line but they don't value the guard position enough to take one in the top 10.  They will take an OT if there's one worth the pick.

2 hours ago, Kenrik said:

Tough to swallow GB taking a LT when we already have a top 5-10 LT and hes 26.

You are right. They need interior lineman, not tackles. I must have mixed it up when I was switching players around over time. 

5 hours ago, Sepanak said:

I hope we can trade down, but the bigger point is that our tackles are horrid.  And as much as I love Nelson, the only lineman playing well had been Boling at LG.  I would take a tackle here as well.

2 hours ago, Sepanak said:

You are right. They need interior lineman, not tackles. I must have mixed it up when I was switching players around over time. 

Spot on! We need a RG to replace Jahri and maybe a C in Linsley leaves in gree agency.

Archived