49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk has officially requested for a trade

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Only addressing the first point- Aiyuk signed a contract.  He knew the terms of this contract, and knew the fifth year option would be a possibility.  

Aiyuk is on the 5th year option of the rookie contract.   Those are slotted in at a wage scale.  he didn't have the opportunity to negotiate a different contract other than that.  

3 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I think the rumors are just disinformation put out by the Niners to create the illusion of a bidding war. This whole thing is about money and that's it. Aiyuk has a certain dollar amount in his head and I refuse to believe he won't accept that amount regardless of the team offering it.

I mean, maybe. I doubt it, but it's possible. But based on reports we've heard, Aiyuk not having a say in where he goes just isn't true. How much of it is true and how much of it is BS is impossible to say, but that's all we can go off of at this point. Let's not undermine the possibility of a young athlete totally overestimating his worth and value.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Aiyuk is on the 5th year option of the rookie contract.   Those are slotted in at a wage scale.  he didn't have the opportunity to negotiate a different contract other than that.  

Right, but he signs his contract after being drafted knowing that the fifth year option is a possibility.  Some players don’t get them picked up, even players drafted #2 in the draft :cough Chase Young cough: so again, he knows this is an option as a first round pick.  

He can 110% choose where he goes in a few months.  There is no need to try and force his way to Washington right now.  Play for a team that is going to, barring some massive injuries, going to likely make a deep playoff run.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Right, but he signs his contract after being drafted knowing that the fifth year option is a possibility.  Some players don’t get them picked up, even players drafted #2 in the draft :cough Chase Young cough: so again, he knows this is an option as a first round pick.  

He can 110% choose where he goes in a few months.  There is no need to try and force his way to Washington right now.  Play for a team that is going to, barring some massive injuries, going to likely make a deep playoff run.  

What if he blows his back out this year and doesn’t return to form?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

sure, he signed it.   But lets not act like it was this elaborately negotiated contract.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He can also choose to sit out with an "injury" this year and collect his checks, protect his body and proceed to 2025 and hit FA or get Franchise tagged by SF.   If the latter happens, it is probably a repeat of what we are dealing with now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I think the rumors are just disinformation put out by the Niners to create the illusion of a bidding war. This whole thing is about money and that's it. Aiyuk has a certain dollar amount in his head and I refuse to believe he won't accept that amount regardless of the team offering it.

They’ve been reported by separate sources, from separate beat writers. Unless you think SF is telling NE’s beat writers what Elliot Wolf is saying? 

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

sure, he signed it.   But lets not act like it was this elaborately negotiated contract.  

He can also choose to sit out with an "injury" this year and collect his checks, protect his body and proceed to 2025 and hit FA or get Franchise tagged by SF.   If the latter happens, it is probably a repeat of what we are dealing with now.

He probably loses some of that money if he sits out with injury.  

If he gets franchised, that probably limits the 49ers more than it’s limiting them now.  

I think at this point, they just want more than the 3rd round comp pick they will get from letting him walk, and my guess is that’s all the Commanders are offering them.  

32 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The thing that's goofy about the way that's set up is that he was a higher pick than tee Higgins who was drafted in the same year, they've got similar career numbers (slightly slanted in aiyuks favor in terms of efficiency), yet tee Higgins is on the tag making 8 million dollars more than Aiyuk. 

I'd be pissed if I were Aiyuk too lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing that's goofy about the way that's set up is that he was a higher pick than tee Higgins who was drafted in the same year, they've got similar career numbers (slightly slanted in aiyuks favor in terms of efficiency), yet tee Higgins is on the tag making 8 million dollars more than Aiyuk. 

I'd be pissed if I were Aiyuk too lol

He also made about $2m more in career earnings so far, also has more post-season pay and after this season is done under both of their current contracts, it’s about a $4m difference for Higgins.  

If you want to blame the system, that’s fine, but Aiyuk signed up for it.  

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He also made about $2m more in career earnings so far, also has more post-season pay and after this season is done under both of their current contracts, it’s about a $4m difference for Higgins.  

If you want to blame the system, that’s fine, but Aiyuk signed up for it.  

I mean, he was a higher pick, that stands to reason. He should be paid more on a rookie wage scale. 

The fifth year option is just dumb, and can be unfair (it's not all the time, this is just one of those rare situations where it's a clear one for one... Though I guess it is unfair all the time... Shouldn't be considered fair just when things are applicable, I suppose). 

But nobody cares to change anything about the rookie salary structure, and ultimately the league is fine with holdouts. So he should do what he's doing to get his bag

31 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He probably loses some of that money if he sits out with injury.  

how would he lose some of his guaranteed 5th year salary by having an "injury"?

If he gets franchised, that probably limits the 49ers more than it’s limiting them now.  

correct.  $24M guaranteed limits SF ability to add/re-sign FA players

I think at this point, they just want more than the 3rd round comp pick they will get from letting him walk, and my guess is that’s all the Commanders are offering them.  

probably right and WAS has no real reason to offer more

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, he was a higher pick, that stands to reason. He should be paid more on a rookie wage scale. 

The fifth year option is just dumb, and can be unfair (it's not all the time, this is just one of those rare situations where it's a clear one for one... Though I guess it is unfair all the time... Shouldn't be considered fair just when things are applicable, I suppose). 

But nobody cares to change anything about the rookie salary structure, and ultimately the league is fine with holdouts. So he should do what he's doing to get his bag

yeah, the 5th year option can be beneficial for some players as it gets them a boost in pay for that extra year.  It works if the player has not significantly outplayed their rookie wage salary.  for those players that have outplayed their rookie wage salary, the 5th year option that teams can use limits their ability to hit FA and cash in on their performance

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

how would he lose some of his guaranteed 5th year salary by having an "injury"?

correct.  $24M guaranteed limits SF ability to add/re-sign FA players

probably right and WAS has no real reason to offer more

I was referring to if Aiyuk sits out with an ‘injury’ this year.  I have a feeling that teams won’t be throwing the cash at Aiyuk that he expects if that occurs.  

• Like 1

I was referring to if Aiyuk sits out with an ‘injury’ this year.  I have a feeling that teams won’t be throwing the cash at Aiyuk that he expects if that occurs.  

it doesn't need to be any more than 1 team to make the offer.  

• Like 1

Also keep in mind that he's turned down 26+ from the 49ers, 28.5+ from the Patriots, and whatever the Browns had on the table. If he's looking for more money then he's going to have to play all year at a high level without sitting out.

• Like 1