Steelers 2024 Training Camp Thread

I would genuinely like to hear the dialog from the "nothing to see here crowd" of our tackles. What if Troy isn't ready to go until say week 8? Does Moore finish the season at LT and Jones at right? Do they swap out Jones with no/limited snaps at LT just cause fun (not the first time for them)? Do they sit Jones behind Moore for a few weeks to get his reps up? Does Troy start repoing back at LT to be the swing? 

What's the plan here? They are getting some snaps at LT for him, but Kozora has said it's very few. 

Edited by Dcash4

59 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I would genuinely like to hear the dialog from the "nothing to see here crowd" of our tackles. What if Troy isn't ready to go until say week 8? Does Moore finish the season at LT and Jones at right? Do they swap out Jones with no/limited snaps at LT just cause fun (not the first time for them)? Do they sit Jones behind Moore for a few weeks to get his reps up? Does Troy start repoing back at LT to be the swing? 

What's the plan here? They are getting some snaps at LT for him, but Kozora has said it's very few. 

no plan. 

Moore is tomlin player and will be the starter until Troy is deemed ready.

If once both  Troy and Jones are starters and either get hurt, then Moore is back out there.   Unless Moore is on IR, he will have his playing time this season.

This staff is content with that. Other teams however, would be trying other players - to replace Moore. Not this mediocre team and mediocre OL, but thats what makes them - mediocre, it's the tomlin era. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Fake news!!.  does not fit the narrative!!

Dan Lebatard used to have a radio intro about being the fastest growing radio show…because when you go from 0 listeners to 1, you’re growing fast.

From the day before that tweet:

https://x.com/alex_kozora/status/1819924571169902655?s=46

Wish y’all would sell me on why this is a good idea instead of just parroting things because how dare someone question Mike Tomlin. 

Why is this the best course of action for preparing two young players (one of which needs development and currently isn’t playing the position he will play beyond a handful of snaps)? 

Can anyone take a stab at that? Or are we just gonna wait until Jones is the starter and say “see!!!”, and handwave the loss of reps he could have had at the position as a young player? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Dan Lebatard used to have a radio intro about being the fastest growing radio show…because when you go from 0 listeners to 1, you’re growing fast.

From the day before that tweet:

https://x.com/alex_kozora/status/1819924571169902655?s=46

Wish y’all would sell me on why this is a good idea instead of just parroting things because how dare someone question Mike Tomlin. 

Why is this the best course of action for preparing two young players (one of which needs development and currently isn’t playing the position he will play beyond a handful of snaps)? 

Can anyone take a stab at that? Or are we just gonna wait until Jones is the starter and say “see!!!”, and handwave the loss of reps he could have had at the position as a young player? 

If you don't have a benchmark to compare Fautanu to, then how do you know if he's ready to start?

Also, it has been said many times elsewhere that Jones is battling injuries. I don't know how you can expect him to take many reps when he is banged up.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Take it with a grain of salt but the Aiyuk to Pittsburgh rumors are making their rounds on twitter again today. 

Is not happening.  no reason for SF to trade him unless they have a meltdown

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

If you don't have a benchmark to compare Fautanu to, then how do you know if he's ready to start?

I’m not sure veteran NFL coaches with a decades plus worth of experience require a live barometer to determine what good looks like. If they do, we have greater issues to chat about. 

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

Also, it has been said many times elsewhere that Jones is battling injuries. I don't know how you can expect him to take many reps when he is banged up

I have a solution: take your limited reps at the position they want you playing. 

I have no expectation of him taking more reps. I have expectations of them developing a guy who needs development at the position of which they hope he develops. 

Again: you guys are going to bat for turning the 14th overall pick into a swing tackle vs developing him to be the best right/left tackle he could be. It’s odd. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

you guys are going to bat for turning the 14th overall pick into a swing tackle vs developing him to be the best right/left tackle he could be. It’s odd. 

Wrong but ok.

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Wrong but ok.

How am I wrong? So you agree then this isn’t a good plan?

If not, then tell me why this strategy is in Jones/the team’s best interests. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m not sure veteran NFL coaches with a decades plus worth of experience require a live barometer to determine what good looks like. If they do, we have greater issues to chat about. 

I have a solution: take your limited reps at the position they want you playing. 

I have no expectation of him taking more reps. I have expectations of them developing a guy who needs development at the position of which they hope he develops. 

Again: you guys are going to bat for turning the 14th overall pick into a swing tackle vs developing him to be the best right/left tackle he could be. It’s odd. 

If you don't understand that at the NFL level the skill differences are relatively small, then no one can help you. Every year the players that these guys are going against are different and are putting in different levels of effort as their focus on improvement areas change. So yes, know what "the standard" looks like vs. the other guys in camp is important if you are looking at upgrading a position.

But please post for the 100th time today that the PROFESSIONAL level coaches know less than you.