2024 Eagles Training Camp

20 minutes ago, Danger said:

Jalen looking a lot better so far than he was in minicamp which is reassuring.

And better than last seasons training camp too which is nice

maybe he’ll take a step forward. That’d be nice to say the least 

58 minutes ago, Last Stand said:

And better than last seasons training camp too which is nice

maybe he’ll take a step forward. That’d be nice to say the least 

Yep it's nice to see improvement.  We need the 2022 version of Jalen if we want to be more than a 1 and done playoff team.

• Like 1

Couple things that I like that have come out of camp so far.

1. The Eagles are using a lot of motion on offense in practice which we expected to see more movement this year, but it's sounding a lot like Moore is being given the keys to build the offense.

2. Barkley has been utilized a lot in the passing game.  This is an element the Eagles haven't had in the passing game in quite a while.  This will also open things up a bit for AJ, Smitty, and Goedert if teams can't just disregard having to cover the RB like they have in recent years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasperX22 said:

Couple things that I like that have come out of camp so far.

1. The Eagles are using a lot of motion on offense in practice which we expected to see more movement this year, but it's sounding a lot like Moore is being given the keys to build the offense.

2. Barkley has been utilized a lot in the passing game.  This is an element the Eagles haven't had in the passing game in quite a while.  This will also open things up a bit for AJ, Smitty, and Goedert if teams can't just disregard having to cover the RB like they have in recent years.

Eagles offense seemed very all or nothing last year with the end being just nothing. Checking down to easy passes that gain 4-5 yards will actually help keep our defense from killing themselves from snaps played.

2 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Man what if Baun ends up being like a legit LB? That'd be nuts and great. Seems like he's playing well.

I don't even need legit,  just Competent will work for me. A non liability. 👌

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I don't even need legit,  just Competent will work for me. A non liability. 👌

I know it's early but seems like he's making plays and he's notably ahead of Dean. Seems like he has a unique body type for the position too. 6'3 225 lbs with long arms.

17 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

It is funny to me when Jalen throws dime after dime,  but given absolutely no credit!  ****ty arm strength,  Zero touch!!!🥃

Settle down.  He's throwing lobs to 2 of the best receivers in the NFL in shorts.  It's not a secret that his arm strength is below avg from what you'd expect from an NFL starting QB.  It's good that he's been accurate early in camp.  He needs to keep stacking good days.

I will also note that he's been holding the ball too long at times in camp.  Some of this can be explained away due to learning a new offense.  It's noteworthy though because it has been a problem for him so far in his career and he gets panicky when his 1st and 2nd reads are taken away.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Settle down.  He's throwing lobs to 2 of the best receivers in the NFL in shorts.  It's not a secret that his arm strength is below avg from what you'd expect from an NFL starting QB. 

Arm strength might be the most overrated trait for a NFL QB there is. He's not below average. Can make every throw. Not every QB has to be Josh Allen/Brett Farve.

I mean just look at this Velocity List from the combine. Most of the leaders that can fling it, actually suck! Never panned out.

https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-NFL-Combine-2008-2017/10243/dh/

In case you don't scroll through to 2020...

Herbert was 55Mph

Hurts was 54Mph

Not that velocity is everything, but you really kind of played into my point that even among recent drafties he's on the bottom half of the ledger.  I also like how you conveniently left out Herbert was 55 and 54 and Hurts was 54 and 51.  54 to 51 is not insignificant.

• Like 1

Some other camp notes:

Ainias Smith is struggling and may be playing his way out of a roster spot.

VanSumeren came into camp as the 6th ILB and firmly on the roster bubble, but has been consistently the best coverage guy on special teams.  Do they keep 6? Does he make it at the expense of Trotter or Burks? Time will tell. 

Dean is having by far his best camp.  It's going to be interesting to see how the LB rotation shakes out and maybe the best camp battle to watch.

The reserve spots on the oline outside of the top 6 appears to be wide open.  Definitely a development to watch, but Steen appears to have a significant lead as the starting RG and Becton is the 1st reserve off the bench.

Covey's roster spot is safe.  Not that it was ever in jeopardy, but the competition for returner has not challenged him in any way.  He seems to be getting more reps in the regular offense as well which I would definitely like to see.  Would be nice if he could push for a regular role in the slot.