Jordan Love extended (4 years, $220M, $75M SB, $155M GTD)

5 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Now that we have the structure of the Love contract, I am quite happy with this deal.  I was not expecting Love's cap numbers over the next 4 years to look as good as they do.

The cap numbers look good the dead cap ones don't. 

IF he stinks or does not progress as expected we are stuck with him. That is the issue I have with this contract. 

Too rich for too little game time 

5 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Dont you think we are going to see a new mahomes deal in the next year?

Maybe, maybe not. But any rework is more for KC’s cap benefit than to fix some sort of imagined underpayment of Mahomes that some fans seem to be believing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

If I am keeping score correctly, Brit Pack would have retained Barry at DC and would be playing hardball with Love.

Why we keeping score for? Are we playing a game, why didn't you tell me you wanker?!?! 

It's not about playing hardball with Love, the Packers gave him everything he wanted.

Love's agents wanted a 4-year extension, not 5
Love's agents wanted to get the 2026 and 2027 option bonuses guaranteed
Love's agents wanted Love to be the highest paid and they got it

And you think that is all a good thing?

I'm just surprised that people can look at this contract and don't have the ability to question it and not realise we got done over here. We are tied to Love for the next 4 seasons without getting out of it without HUGE dead cap hits. I as much as any fan want him to succeed and prefer him 110% over Rodgers (at the end of his career), but just as I thought the 3 year $150m deal we gave to Rodgers in 2022 was not a great contract, so do I feel this is.

41 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

IF he stinks or does not progress as expected we are stuck with him. That is the issue I have with this contract. 

What makes you think Jordan Love is going to regress? He's got all of his offensive pieces back minus Runyan (no big loss) and Jones. We replaced Jones with Jacobs and drafted another RB in the 2nd round. Not to mention Dillon has slimmed down. 

Most of the QBs who regress have issues. Hurts seems to have regressed, but the Eagles turned into a total **** show. That seems like the team bailed on the coach and quit. 

Daniel Jones regressed, or did he? The dude only threw 15 TDs in 2022 when he got his bag. Most thought it was a joke. 

Justin Herbert regressed, again injuries, horrible coaching decisions and he missed 4 games. 

Hell, Jared ******* Goff got a bag. 

It was time to make a decision on Jordan Love. I get the angst, but think it is unwarranted and he's trajectory is going up. Also, remember the youth Jordan Love was playing with and still put up those numbers. 
I actually think his numbers are going to be ridiculous this year. 

Edited by Old Guy

26 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Tell me Tua's contract doesn't look better than Love's

image.png

image.png

Why are you comparing Jordan Love's deal to a lesser quarterback? A guy that is one more concussion away from retirement. 

Love ya @Brit Pack, just take a deep breath and relax. It's going to be OK.

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What makes you think Jordan Love is going to regress? He's got all of his offensive pieces back minus Runyan (no big loss) and Jones. We replaced Jones with Jacobs and drafted another RB in the 2nd round. Not to mention Dillon has slimmed down. 

Most of the QBs who regress have issues. Hurts seems to have regressed, but the Eagles turned into a total **** show. That seems like the team bailed on the coach and quit. 

Daniel Jones regressed, or did he? The dude only threw 15 TDs in 2022 when he got his bag. Most thought it was a joke. 

Justin Herbert regressed, again injuries, horrible coaching decisions and he missed 4 games. 

Hell, Jared ******* Goff got a bag. 

It was time to make a decision on Jordan Love. I get the angst, but think it is unwarranted and he's trajectory is going up. Also, remember the youth Jordan Love was playing with and still put up those numbers. 
I actually think his numbers are going to be ridiculous this year. 

It is less about the regression of Love and more about whether is it a good contract or not. That's all.

I look at that contract and think it ain't great. It neither gives us the flexibility to move money around much or the ability to even really redo after a few years. 

As for Love, I love him. Think he is the right guy for the team, played well down the stretch etc. I would still say there are question marks over his game solely for the reason he has only played a season. I just find it funny that people can't acknowledge that factor and see the risks associated with giving him the contract that his agents have negotiated hard to get.

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

It is less about the regression of Love and more about whether is it a good contract or not. That's all.

I look at that contract and think it ain't great. It neither gives us the flexibility to move money around much or the ability to even really redo after a few years. 

As for Love, I love him. Think he is the right guy for the team, played well down the stretch etc. I would still say there are question marks over his game solely for the reason he has only played a season. I just find it funny that people can't acknowledge that factor and see the risks associated with giving him the contract that his agents have negotiated hard to get.

There are risks with every large contract. See, Bakhtiari, David! Dude was on a HOF trajectory, and we gave him the contract he deserved. It didn't turn out, but it was the right decision at the time. 

We gave Love what he needed. Now If I were GM (j/k) Love would have been paid 400 million over 10 last year and we'd be LOFAO. 

We paid the new going rate. If you want to feel better, imagine what the Cowboys are going to have to pay Dak now. He's never getting them to the promised land. 

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

There are risks with every large contract.

Yes, but there are levels to risk. 

Bakh had years of play before landing a monster deal. And what derailed his career is a risk all players face which is injury. We are not talking injury risk with Love it is the unknown of how good is he based off a single season of play.

Did I think Kenny's extension was risky? Not really. Seemed right for the player, the history and what comparable players got.

Anyway, no point going on about this. I would love to be proven wrong by Jordan Love's play this season and beyond and that this contract doesn't stink as much as I feel it does at this moment in time.

Yes, but there are levels to risk. 

Bakh had years of play before landing a monster deal. And what derailed his career is a risk all players face which is injury. We are not talking injury risk with Love it is the unknown of how good is he based off a single season of play.

Did I think Kenny's extension was risky? Not really. Seemed right for the player, the history and what comparable players got.

Anyway, no point going on about this. I would love to be proven wrong by Jordan Love's play this season and beyond and that this contract doesn't stink as much as I feel it does at this moment in time.

There are dudes organization have ZERO doubts about after one year. This is not an anomaly whatsoever with Love. The Packers have seen him work for 4 years. They have seen him show up and get to work for 4 years.

He's only played games for one season and one game. The professional football guys in the organization know what they have in Love. 

Love should be in the conversation for MVP given the talent he has around him. I don't think that is hyperbole either. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

There are dudes organization have ZERO doubts about after one year. This is not an anomaly whatsoever with Love. The Packers have seen him work for 4 years. They have seen him show up and get to work for 4 years.

He's only played games for one season and one game. The professional football guys in the organization know what they have in Love. 

Love should be in the conversation for MVP given the talent he has around him. I don't think that is hyperbole either. 

Maybe they did, but if they knew who he was why not extend him earlier? Why only give him a 2 year deal last year?

Personally I think real games count. I think postseason is very different as well to regular season ala Rodgers.

Anyway, I hope he is in the MVP conversation with that contract rather than the guy that played the 4th quarter against the Niners (joke)...

• Like 1

Maybe they did, but if they knew who he was why not extend him earlier? Why only give him a 2 year deal last year?

Personally I think real games count. I think postseason is very different as well to regular season ala Rodgers.

Anyway, I hope he is in the MVP conversation with that contract rather than the guy that played the 4th quarter against the Niners (joke)...

It was really a one-year deal in lieu of a 5th year option. 

The simple answer is you never know for sure until the guy is under the gun in real games. Jordan Love passed that last test with flying colors. 

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

If he progresses at all he's the clear MVP of the league. He was the 2nd half of 2023.

• Like 1

Why we keeping score for? Are we playing a game, why didn't you tell me you wanker?!?! 

It's not about playing hardball with Love, the Packers gave him everything he wanted.

Love's agents wanted a 4-year extension, not 5
Love's agents wanted to get the 2026 and 2027 option bonuses guaranteed
Love's agents wanted Love to be the highest paid and they got it

And you think that is all a good thing?

I'm just surprised that people can look at this contract and don't have the ability to question it and not realise we got done over here. We are tied to Love for the next 4 seasons without getting out of it without HUGE dead cap hits. I as much as any fan want him to succeed and prefer him 110% over Rodgers (at the end of his career), but just as I thought the 3 year $150m deal we gave to Rodgers in 2022 was not a great contract, so do I feel this is.

I'm not sure how you're arriving at your conclusions. 

Jordan Love was the best QB in the NFL the second half of 2023. In his first year starting. After sitting behind a first ballot HOFer for 3 years.

Why would anyone have expected anything less than highest contract of all time?

It's illogical to have expected anything else. The contract is a bargain if anything. Didn't Lawrence just get similar money? Would you rather have Trevor Lawrence? Or Tua? 

Gotta keep up. NFL comes at ya fast!

• Like 1

The $100m I can live with it is the additional $55m that is guaranteed that I find hard to stomach

The 2026 and 2027 guarantees is what I have the issue with.

If Love doesn't live up to what we all project him to be we can't get him off the books till after the 2027 season and even then it hurts.
Dead cap hit 2026 $100m, 2027 $65m, 2028 $40m 

Didn't you stated you wished the love contract was more like the Hurts contract?

Hurts got more guaranteed at signing and more guarantees overall when you actually read the details of the contract setup......yet you are here stating this isn't a good deal.

It is truly perplexing.

• Like 2