Better career Warner vs Eli

Kiwibrown

Manning vs Warner   

36 members have voted

1. 1. Better career

Mannings career is highlighted by two superbowl wins vs the GOAT. And consistent starter level play at a fringe probowl level. 

Warner made x3 superbowl appearances and 1 win coming in his legendary 1999 season. His career featured peaks and troughs thereafter. 

Who overall had a better career? 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Eli's "clutch" stats in the regular season are pretty poor.

He's ahead of Joe Montana in 4th quarter comebacks.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_career.htm

12th in game winning drives.

Also Kurt Warner is the better QB and it's not even freaking close.

He may have the Journeyman label but getting two different franchises to the superbowl and resurrecting his career multiple times is more impressive than Eli.

Though to be fair to Eli he played his entire career with the best QBs to ever play the game. 

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

Unfortunately those stats aren't particularly revealing. A mediocre QB who trails in a lot of games and plays for long time will naturally have quite a few come-from-behind victories.

Yes, Montana has one less comeback than Eli, who has one less comeback than Derek Carr, who has one less comeback than Vinny Testaverde. When you have Derek Carr as an all-time great in a stat, that let's you know about how seriously to take it.

Tough to say. Warner had a better peak but also had a 4 year period where he did basically nothing before a 2-3 year career resurrection. Plus he was the epitome of a late bloomer, not truly getting his shot until he was 28.

Is 5 really strong seasons enough to say he had a better career than someone who played over a decade as a borderline Hall of Famer?

If Warner had a longer track record, I'd say this is more of a slam dunk in his favor. But I'm giving a slight edge to Eli for this reason.

Warner. Has only one less ring than Eli and led two different teams to the Super Bowl. Just a way better pure QB. 1999 Warner is a Top 10 QB season, to this day. Warner’s ‘99-01 on the Rams and ‘08-‘10 on the Cardinals trumps anything Eli did in the regular season by a country mile. 

8 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Unfortunately those stats aren't particularly revealing. A mediocre QB who trails in a lot of games and plays for long time will naturally have quite a few come-from-behind victories.

Yes, Montana has one less comeback than Eli, who has one less comeback than Derek Carr, who has one less comeback than Vinny Testaverde. When you have Derek Carr as an all-time great in a stat, that let's you know about how seriously to take it.

I mean you can be a medicore QB and still be good in the clutch and come back in games. Doesn't diminish the stat just means more dudes had opportunities. 

Rank Player GWD Years Tm Link
1 Tom Brady 58 2000-2022 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
2 Peyton Manning+ 54 1998-2015 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
3 Drew Brees 53 2001-2020 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
  Ben Roethlisberger 53 2004-2021 pit View Game-Winning Drives
5 Dan Marino+ 47 1983-1999 mia View Game-Winning Drives
6 Matt Ryan 46 2008-2022 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
7 Matthew Stafford 44 2009-2023 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
8 Brett Favre+ 43 1991-2010 4TM View Game-Winning Drives
9 John Elway+ 40 1983-1998 den View Game-Winning Drives
10 Russell Wilson 39 2012-2023 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
11 Johnny Unitas+ 38 1956-1973 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
12 Eli Manning 37 2004-2019 nyg View Game-Winning Drives
13 Warren Moon+ 35 1984-2000 4TM View Game-Winning Drives
  Carson Palmer 35 2004-2017 3TM View Game-Winning Drives
  Philip Rivers 35 2004-2020 2TM Vi

Feel like everyone single one of these players is a HOFer or has the resume at least. Palmer probably being the weakest but he at least had a Warner esque career.

Better in the typical way we compare QB careers, it’s Eli. Better stats, more rings, behind in the MVP/All-Pro, but as much I love Kurt, for over half a decade he couldn’t really even stick as a starter. Eli never reached the peaks Kurt did as a player, though.

Asking which career you’d rather have is a different discussion. 

It's Kurt Warner easily. His peaks are among the best a QB has ever played in NFL history. He also has a championship ring to his name so it's not like he has 0 accomplishments.

17 hours ago, Xmad said:

I mean you can be a medicore QB and still be good in the clutch and come back in games. Doesn't diminish the stat just means more dudes had opportunities. 

Rank Player GWD Years Tm Link
1 Tom Brady 58 2000-2022 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
2 Peyton Manning+ 54 1998-2015 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
3 Drew Brees 53 2001-2020 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
  Ben Roethlisberger 53 2004-2021 pit View Game-Winning Drives
5 Dan Marino+ 47 1983-1999 mia View Game-Winning Drives
6 Matt Ryan 46 2008-2022 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
7 Matthew Stafford 44 2009-2023 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
8 Brett Favre+ 43 1991-2010 4TM View Game-Winning Drives
9 John Elway+ 40 1983-1998 den View Game-Winning Drives
10 Russell Wilson 39 2012-2023 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
11 Johnny Unitas+ 38 1956-1973 2TM View Game-Winning Drives
12 Eli Manning 37 2004-2019 nyg View Game-Winning Drives
13 Warren Moon+ 35 1984-2000 4TM View Game-Winning Drives
  Carson Palmer 35 2004-2017 3TM View Game-Winning Drives
  Philip Rivers 35 2004-2020 2TM Vi

Feel like everyone single one of these players is a HOFer or has the resume at least. Palmer probably being the weakest but he at least had a Warner esque career.

I like how you cut it off right before Derek Carr is the next player listed though. I don't think Russell Wilson is close to a HOFer but maybe I'm wrong.

Here's a post that attempts to do 4th Quarter Comebacks by percentage:

https://www.footballperspective.com/guest-post-4th-quarter-comeback-percentage/

Great QBs seem to comeback above 30% of the time (Peyton, Brady, Montana, Mahomes). Eli is at 19%, which is virtually average (0.3). I counted him in 161st place, although some QBs have very small sample sizes.

So once again stats show that Eli was just average, even in the clutch.

IDK as someone who lived in NYC from 2002-2019 I feel like I got the full Eli Manning experience, and Monday morning radio was often lamenting the huge late fumble or INT by Eli that lost the game. I'm not going to deny he was very good in 2011 or made timely throws in 2007, but he played horribly in his 4 other playoff games (all losses), and he didn't seem all that clutch in other years.

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I like how you cut it off right before Derek Carr is the next player listed though. I don't think Russell Wilson is close to a HOFer but maybe I'm wrong.

Here's a post that attempts to do 4th Quarter Comebacks by percentage:

https://www.footballperspective.com/guest-post-4th-quarter-comeback-percentage/

Great QBs seem to comeback above 30% of the time (Peyton, Brady, Montana, Mahomes). Eli is at 19%, which is virtually average (0.3). I counted him in 161st place, although some QBs have very small sample sizes.

So once again stats show that Eli was just average, even in the clutch.

IDK as someone who lived in NYC from 2002-2019 I feel like I got the full Eli Manning experience, and Monday morning radio was often lamenting the huge late fumble or INT by Eli that lost the game. I'm not going to deny he was very good in 2011 or made timely throws in 2007, but he played horribly in his 4 other playoff games (all losses), and he didn't seem all that clutch in other years.

Ehhhhh Wilson isn't a HOFer right now I can see the argument if he turns his career around. Has the resume of being a Pro Bowl QB for a decade+ and winning a young franchise's only superbowl.

We can all agree Derek carr is the bar for "won't lose you games, won't win you games" he's not the worst dude in the world but he literally never got better following his breakout year.

I think Eli is more reputation than Clutch factor but winning two superbowls as an underdog as well as playing well in the playoffs (15 TDs to 2 INTs in his two SB Runs over 8 games) as well as a ridiculous 2011 season sealed it. He's up there is he an all time great at clutchness? I'd say nah but he's definitely up there. INTs were his thing which but that makes sense as an aggressive pocket passer who wasn't super careful with the football.

His career record is literally 117-117 not counting playoffs so like dude wasn't the best but when you needed him to make a play he did it more often than not.

6 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Ehhhhh Wilson isn't a HOFer right now I can see the argument if he turns his career around. Has the resume of being a Pro Bowl QB for a decade+ and winning a young franchise's only superbowl.

We can all agree Derek carr is the bar for "won't lose you games, won't win you games" he's not the worst dude in the world but he literally never got better following his breakout year.

I think Eli is more reputation than Clutch factor but winning two superbowls as an underdog as well as playing well in the playoffs (15 TDs to 2 INTs in his two SB Runs over 8 games) as well as a ridiculous 2011 season sealed it. He's up there is he an all time great at clutchness? I'd say nah but he's definitely up there. INTs were his thing which but that makes sense as an aggressive pocket passer who wasn't super careful with the football.

His career record is literally 117-117 not counting playoffs so like dude wasn't the best but when you needed him to make a play he did it more often than not.

Fair enough. There will be plenty of Eli talk soon as he is now eligible for the HOF, so I'll wait for that to continue my anti-Eli crusade.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...