Potential Aiyuk Trade Talk

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, August4th said:

how it sounds like Aiyuk and niners close to a deal

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

wonder if the Steelers will get a chance to up their offer 

That thing they are apart on is the make or break that he got from us apparently. Also unlikely we get a chance to match or up the offer. All things equal he prefers to stay. 

Then again, this is from Garafolo who’s been showing a rosy Niners outcome all along. 

Edited by warfelg

Sounds like the issue is guaranteed money and it’s not that close. I heard our offer is $115mm up to $125mm with $75mm gtd. Sounds like the Niners went to $110 to $115 range but are really low on GTD money. 

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’m fully convinced Ayuik is just using the Steelers as a pawn to get more money at this point 

yup. 

Good on Khan for standing pat, though. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’m fully convinced Ayuik is just using the Steelers as a pawn to get more money at this point 

I lean more towards the Niners used us based on the way things have been getting reported.

I say this because of how late in the game the concept of “you can go find a trade” came about. On top of that if he wanted to use a team as leverage he would have used the NE contract not ours. 

Theres been a lot of people speculating (even a few posts from insiders “talking” to FO people) that the Niners did this on purpose. They fielded two offers from teams they knew he would say no to on an extension no matter the cost. They kept the one team in the running they knew had the “worst offer”. They knew by going to teams he would say no to that they could have legit reason to say no to the Steelers. They knew by using an “underwhelming” deal with a team they could keep him around and use whatever he talked about contract wise with that team as their benchmark. 

If Aiyuk wanted to use someone, he would have gone back to the negotiating table after the Pats offer. No need to get one from the Steelers then. Just put down $32mm AAV, they’re at $26mm AAV, and tell them to meet in the middle of $29mm AAV. Makes no sense to walk from $32mm AAV as leverage to walk into $28mm AAV to negotiate up from $26mm AAV. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

How accurate are the reports of WR Aiyuk insisting he wants to come to PITTSBURGH? If you are a top ten WR in the NFL right now, would you rather play with Purdy or Wilson/Fields behind a young offensive line? 

The other thing that makes me skeptical about all the "SF and Aiyuk are close" is the fact that just a week ago he called them out for trying to do all of this out through the media.

End of the day whether we get or don't get Aiyuk doesn't make or break anything for me. We still would have the second most cap space. Higgins, M.Brown, Slayton, Moore are all FA's next year and would be nice adds. If you look at the 2026 free agent class who will be looking for deals you can add Metcalf, Watson, Dotson, Shaheed, heck even Meyers. All those names would be under 30 at signing.

Then you have this draft class which is loaded again. So adding Aiyuk right now is a bit of a luxury and likely why Khan hasn't changed his offer at all. he knows there's other chances out there and wanted to put his hat in the ring of a guy he knows wants to be here and could potentially be had. 

End of the day I feel like it's up to SF to do something. Either just meet what Aiyuk wants or move on from him. I saw a SF blogger take a different route from the "Steelers got played" and said "Aiyuk just showed his teammates how to get paid" and that it would lead to the breakup of the team if him and someone else get more than what SF wanted to pay. I will add this is one of the few bloggers I've seen on the side of "just trade him" because he feels that the most important thing is to restock the picks and make a bold move for someone you want in the draft with Purdy about to get handsomely paid. he added it's strange that this same thing has played out 3 times now with them (Bosa and Deebo) of a player asked to be traded when the contract wasn't working out, then got a deal midsummer close to what the player wanted. he said if your Aiyuk, don't you need to feel a little disrespected that your deal didn't go as good as theirs and resolve as soon as theirs.