Potential Aiyuk Trade Talk

I was checking Twitter a lot and then came here for all the updates. Then I got to the point where I was just tired of all the endless speculation. Sure, I would have liked him here but I'm glad they didn't overpay for it to happen.

My only issue is that we had the money this offseason to obtain a free agent WR.  I'm not saying we should have added a solid #1 or even #2 but someone who could have competed with Van Jefferson.  

I would also say that Dionte Johnson trade was a mistake.

4 hours ago, DR43 said:

My only issue is that we had the money this offseason to obtain a free agent WR.  I'm not saying we should have added a solid #1 or even #2 but someone who could have competed with Van Jefferson.  

I would also say that Dionte Johnson trade was a mistake.

I think the Johnson trade was necessary for the locker room, but with hindsight what it was it may have been nice to use in a potential trade with SF (if they would even be interested). I don't think there is any way that having him here would have been beneficial to the team overall.

As for ignoring other WR options, I don't think they overlooked anyone really. I would guess that they had looked into other options and either weren't pleased with the value of the contracts or the trade price. We as the fans only hear portions of negotiations and I think that skews our view unfairly quite often.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I think the Johnson trade was necessary for the locker room, but with hindsight what it was it may have been nice to use in a potential trade with SF (if they would even be interested). I don't think there is any way that having him here would have been beneficial to the team overall.

As for ignoring other WR options, I don't think they overlooked anyone really. I would guess that they had looked into other options and either weren't pleased with the value of the contracts or the trade price. We as the fans only hear portions of negotiations and I think that skews our view unfairly quite often.

Negotiations aside, the WR room after Pickens is absolutely dog -.

Just now, AFF said:

Negotiations aside, the WR room after Pickens is absolutely dog -.

If Smith's offense runs like it has in the past, my only real concern is that we don't have depth in the event of an injury. If you look at the receiving core as a whole (including TE which are more heavily used in the offense), it's not so bad. I expect Freiermuth to have a bigger year than he has and we have Washington, Heyward and Pruitt that I think will all contribute heavily.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

If Smith's offense runs like it has in the past, my only real concern is that we don't have depth in the event of an injury. If you look at the receiving core as a whole (including TE which are more heavily used in the offense), it's not so bad. I expect Freiermuth to have a bigger year than he has and we have Washington, Heyward and Pruitt that I think will all contribute heavily.

We're definitely not set up for an explosive offense, that's for sure. That isn't always a bad thing, though. You're right about injuries. Pickens missing a game would be pretty bad. 

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We're definitely not set up for an explosive offense, that's for sure. That isn't always a bad thing, though. You're right about injuries. Pickens missing a game would be pretty bad. 

I think in a way we’re going to be a manufactured explosive like they were in Tenn. but I think Pickens, CAIII, Muth, Warren, and ConHey all have the ability in that manufactured explosive to make things happen. 

For the record by manufactured I mean off PA and things like that. Not likely we see a lot of just off the line beat a man. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think in a way we’re going to be a manufactured explosive like they were in Tenn. but I think Pickens, CAIII, Muth, Warren, and ConHey all have the ability in that manufactured explosive to make things happen. 

For the record by manufactured I mean off PA and things like that. Not likely we see a lot of just off the line beat a man. 

Yeah, no doubt. I just meant we're not going to be like the Killer B's offense ripping huge chunks all game. We'll be much more of a grinding offense with occasional explosive plays. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rlon said:

Thank god it’s over…move on…

to who though? Is m thomas still available?  I think he would be good here,  and with injuries at WR I expect a WR signing or trade soon. 

if GP gets hurt, think of that

7 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

I would much rather have overpaid for a decent #2 or #3 than go into the season with this WR corp.  We're still $15 under the cap.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DR43 said:

I would much rather have overpaid for a decent #2 or #3 than go into the season with this WR corp.  We're still $15 under the cap.

If the plan was for a 1 year rebuild, you'd be right.

19 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

If the plan was for a 1 year rebuild, you'd be right.

How would it have hurt to sign another guy in addition to Jefferson?  We're only going with a 5 man wide receiving corps.

13 hours ago, rlon said:

Thank god it’s over…move on…

35 pages and hours combined here - wasted

now lets see if he gets an injury as a result of the hold out.  Thats been known to happen