The Journey Begins - GDT - Preseason Wk 1

We are kicking off the 2024 season in less than 30 hrs. at CBS against the boys from the frozen tundra.

I am not going to overplay this, as it really is nothing more than a glorified practice. But, as Stefanski says - they do keep score, so it is our job to try to win.

Starters are being insulated from playing in this game. This game is about evaluating the first wave of talent off the bench and the bottom half of the roster in the second half.

So - with that being said, what is everyone looking forward to most? No injuries - duh. But beyond that?

Here's what I am looking forward to:

QBs:

Jameis - I want to see the offense have a good flow to it while 5 is under center. Jameis is an accomplished veteran, but this will be a good test. GB is supposedly playing a lot of starters early on. I remember Jameis, as a Saint a few seasons ago, going into Lambeau and handing the Packers their lunch. v2.0?

DTR/Huntley - word from camp is DTR is much improved from his rookie year. I imagine these 2 split the 2nd half. I want to see how much command they have of the offense.

RBs:

I would guess Pierre Strong starts, and UDFA Aidan Robbins gets a big opportunity. Can they identify holes to keep the chains moving?

WRs:

This is where my focus is going to be. Cedric Tillman, answer the door, son. It's opportunity knocking. It's your chance to say "Brandon Who?" I also want to see Jamari Thrash and Matt Landers. I think both may qualify as Andrew Berry specials.

TEs:

Who steps up behind David Njoku? We did not draft a TE this year, so here is UDFA Treyton Welch's chance.

OL:

I bet Zak Zinter won't sleep much tonight as he will be pumped to step in at RG. With Wills still not cleared to play, this may be James Hudson's last chance to show he deserves a roster spot as a backup swing tackle. It will be interesting to see the fluidity of the unit as a whole - as this is the first test in the post Bill Callahan era.

DL:

Will Michael Hall play like he is shot out of a cannon? That is what the Browns are hoping for. To me a successful game without the intended starters would be to not get gashed for 7-8 yds per attempt.

LBs:

Do they announce their prescence by keeping RBs and TEs covered? and providing run stuffing ability and pass rush skills? We hope so.

DBs:

Playing assignment sound football. No blown coverages.

ST:

How do we play on kickoffs with the new rules? This is Cade's opportunity to shed the "yips".

All in all - I am looking forward to seeing the boys out there again.

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 3

I was unable to watch any of the first half. So maybe I missed some stuff......

2nd half - I will disagree with MWill - I liked what I saw out of DTR. He seemed so much more confident of himself, like the game had slowed down for him. I saw him "driving" his throws from the pocket. The offense had a clear rythym to it when he was in. Maybe that was versus future insurance salesmen and beer truck drivers, but that was one of the things I was looking for. For me to think he has turned the page from last year, DTR needs to replicate today's effort next week against the Vikings.

I saw our defensive backups unable to stop the Green Bay offense. That was disappointing. But overall, with no starters playing today - it was about what I expected.

On to the Vikings.

• Like 1