2024 Preseason GDT Week #2 Steelers vs. Bills

38df13be7019a458b44eb841a0f4e26e20737e13

Who: 0-1 Steelers vs. 0-1 Bills

When: Saturday, August 18, 2024 @ 7:00 pm

Where: Acrisure Stadium Pittsburgh, PA

wmpyun6zutu5wgdvyhl3

Storyline: Both the Steelers and Bills are coming off less than steller opening game perfomrances. Both will be looking to rebound as a limus test against each other. 

josh-allen-bears-32.jpg

What to look for:

7620933_web1_ptr-Steelers10-081024.jpg

1. Better Offensive cohesion. A lot has been made with the two fumbled snaps.  That is something that should be ironed out in training camp reps. However, the larger issue was the inability to be a coheisive offense.  This was the same problem with the 2022 and 2023 Steelers offenses. Mental erros, missed assignments, and poor technique led to negative plays after a positive run or pass. This gets  your offense off of the field and presents more opportunities for your opponents.  The Texans took advantage of this.

Quez-Watkins-upset.jpg

2. Hold onto the dang football. Between fumbles, fumbled snaps, and poor ball security, the Steelersput the ball on the ground too much in the opening preseason game.  This was a problem for the Steelers in most games that they lost in 2023, including the play-off game versus the BIlls.

22c4b620-0a3c-4d3f-9a2f-1e8b664760f4.png

3. Get some offensive line cohesion.  The Steelers have some young guns in the wings on the OL.  They have had mixed results especially at OT and OC. Jones, Fautanu, Frazier, McCormick, Cook, and Anderson will join veterans Semalu, Daniels, Moore, and Herbig.  The Steelers opened some holes running, but again struggled in protection on the outside. Fautanu is hurt and will miss the next two preseason games. The OL will be challenged even more to get some cohesion.

Beanie-Bishop-Jr.-Ryan-Watts.jpg

4. Play with more consistency in the secondary. The Steelers defense generated a fairly consistent pass rush all game. The defense also put the Texans in some negatiive down in distance situations, yet the secondary gave up too many third down conversions or too many yards to make a fourth and short. We need to see who among the young guns are going to step up: Rush, Trice, Bishop, Watts, and Jalen.  Kazee did not have a great game and with Cam Sutton missing almost half the season, the Steelers need some young guys to step up in the back end.

AA1loHro.img?w=3244&h=2163&m=4&q=80

5. The defensive line looked fairly stout despite no Cam and other starters. The Bills OL handled the Steelers DL failry well in the play-off game. This will be a solid test of matching up in the trenches.

What I look forward to seeing:

Russell-Wilson-18-scaled.jpg

1. Seeing Russell Wilson take some starting game day reps. 

PaytonWilson-1.jpg

2. The continued development of Payton Wilson. Yes Mr. Don't Draft a MLB, has a serious man-crush.  He had a solid preseason game debut. I am proclaiming that by 2025 the middle of the Steelers defense will be proclaimed as "Payton's Place!" I love this guy!

Cory-Trice-Jr.-Cameron-Sutton-celebrate.

3. Is Corey Trice trending upward. He had a decent debut.  Can he continue to grow from this and stay healthy?

1432007135.0.jpg

4. The practice session on Thursday may help player development more than the actual preseason game.  The Steelers have been the little brother trying to beat Big Brother for the past few seasons. A preseason with three physical play-off teams from 2023 should help toughen up the Steelers.  This practice will be a good learning experience for many.

5-28-2024-OTAs-Day-4-7351-scaled.jpg?los

5. I want to see Patrick Queen make his Steelers debut. I want to see how he helps this defense early.

• Like 1

8a1e472bbd4bbae0cc63434d26285cdd

Steelers and Bills will hold a joint combined practice today (Thursday, 08/15/24 between 2 - 4).  I am curious about how they do with this. These combined practices work on things that you can't do in game situations. They can be a benefit to both teams. The game is fine, but these practices often add more value. I miss the Steelers and Commanders (The team formally known as Red$%^^&). They had some spirited practices and scrimmages.  I think it helped some of those Steelers teams develop when the 90s WFT was pretty darn good. 

• Like 1

NFL Fans

Mitch Trubisky Faces Crucial Test to Prove He Can Backup Josh Allen Against Steelers. As the Buffalo Bills prepare to take on their AFC North rivals, all eyes will be on Mitch Trubisky, the veteran quarterback tasked with filling the void left by Josh Allen's absence. With Allen's injury status still uncertain, Trubisky's performance against the Steelers will be a make-or-break moment in his bid to prove himself as a reliable backup. The Steelers' vaunted defense, known for its relentless pass rush and stingy secondary, will provide the ultimate litmus test for Trubisky's skills. Can he demonstrate the poise, accuracy, and decision-making required to lead the Bills to victory? Or will his limitations be exposed under the bright lights of primetime football? The stakes are high, and Trubisky's response will have significant implications for the Bills' playoff aspirations. With the team's faith in him hanging in the balance, Trubisky must rise to the challenge and show that he has what it takes to be a trusted understudy to Allen................????

455335748_122151965618054163_21486494159

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

to add to this post above, if  mitch has his way with the 1st team defence  it will be a major fail and reason to lose hope. Not one to make the sky fall, but this would be epic IMO. 

I get it, but remember it's still only preseason.  The bigger question is did Matt Canada's offense hold him back like it did Pickett?  The only QB who looked like anything for four games was Mason.  I get Mitch wanting to do well, but it's preseason. It's a test. he's a veteran and should do well under the circumstances, no game planning, vanilla defenses, and controlled reps.  Remember our vaunted our offense looked last year in preseason, and then the rest of the season was a joke. 😜The Steelers also dominated the Bills in preseason, but that play-off game was another story.

Yes, it's a test, but it not the finals by any means.

3 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

The bigger question is did Matt Canada's offense hold him back like it did Pickett? 

time will tell, no shock factor if it's proven canada and this staff was a fail even for mitch 

5 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

The Steelers also dominated the Bills in preseason, but that play-off game was another story.

was it ever, the team wasn't even ready

only preseason as they say. Now that you brought it up, our offence was totally different in preseason as opposed to the rest of the regular season minus Mason at QB.  what a bad season it was for us fans

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

time will tell, no shock factor if it's proven canada and this staff was a fail even for mitch.

The only QB to have success in that offense was Mason, and even that was after Canada had left and wasn't calling plays. I understood initially why he was kept to try to develop Kenny, but I was wrong about that and Kenny as well.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

was it ever, the team wasn't even ready.

I think they were ready, but the delay didn't help and one major factor in all of the play-off failures: multiple turnovers that lead to large deficits.

only preseason as they say.

I thought our offense would be at least respectable. I expected much more out of Pickett. I thought he had a lot of heart, intelligence, and character that would make up for some shortcomings. The team didn't do him many favors, but he also didn't help his cause. I was disapointed that he didn't want to compete with Russell. That said, it looks like our QB room is beeter, although I would have liked to see Mason back as well. I think he is better than Allen. 

Now that you brought it up, our offence was totally different in preseason as opposed to the rest of the regular season minus Mason at QB.  What a bad season it was for us fans?

It was a roller coaster.  I do think that this team is better than what they fielded in 2023, but we will see when it all counts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, August4th said:

Herbig has insane burst

Herbig should start right now and I'm not sure I can say the same for Broderick Jones...but continue the narratives by all means.