which QB?

3rivers

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

giphy.gif

FWIW he's one of the winningest HC's when starting a backup QB so....

Sure. The defense has remained stalwart under his tenure. But in the modern NFL you can never win a championship without at least an average level of QB play. Tomlin just can not figure out the offensive side of the ball and it's not gonna cut it IMO. Its not as if I have a horse in the race for you guys, but it's just not the answer any more.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Sure. The defense has remained stalwart under his tenure. But in the modern NFL you can never win a championship without at least an average level of QB play. Tomlin just can not figure out the offensive side of the ball and it's not gonna cut it IMO. Its not as if I have a horse in the race for you guys, but it's just not the answer any more.

I mean - the issue is a lot deeper than just "Tomlin can't figure out offense". In the Killer B's era we had one of the best offenses in the NFL. So that's a vast generalization.

And all of us have various opinions as to why these last 3 years have been what they have. Some of us blame the offseason operations for drafting to prolong Ben's career over the future. Some blame Kenny not developing on Tomlin for keeping Canada (which was our only in season firing...ever). Hell the guy that was tagged to be the successor (Kenny) might not even be your QB2 come season games - so unless you are one of those "Tomlin gets all blame and no one else" kinds then I'm not sure how this keeps on Tomlin when the FO just misses on such an important pick.

There's a lot of things to be blaming on Tomlin, but picking the QB angle is one of the strange ones IMO.

43 minutes ago, Danger said:

I get that's not how the Rooney's operate, but this has gone on long enough. This team is what it is. The last QB you guys had success with was drafted 20 years ago., Tomlin's been here what? 16 years? And in that entire time he's never had a successful QB without Ben. It's time to move on.

I’ve been saying Tomlin should be on the hotseat and even said that a few years ago.

He will get this year and if it doesn’t workout(let’s say another 9-8 season and/or getting crushed round 1 of playoffs) the excuse is built in…Wilson is toast and Fields couldn’t be rebuilt.

Then 2025 is either going after Dak or trading up for a rookie QB.

Tomlin all offseason: "Wilson has pole position"

Media: "As he should, Fields is a bust"

Wilson gets hurt

Tomlin: "Wilson has pole position"

Media: "Fields is making it close"

Fields has 1 good start, Wilson has a rusty start off 4 practices

Tomlin: "Wilson has pole position"

Media: "Wilson sux, Fields runz"

After preseason game 3:

Tomlin: "Decision coming, Wilson in pole position through"

Schefter: "Wilson will be starter"

Media: "We were bamboozled! Tomlin lied! The franchise is in disarray with misleading messaging!"

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think Fields will be starting later in the year.  I think R. Wilson's arm is shot and it will show but YMMV.

I still think the Steelers are drafting a QB in the 1st round next year

Yep I’m of the mind it’s either gonna be Fields/a 1st round QB they pick in 2025 or my dark horse pick is that they sign Dak next offseason or trade for Herbert.

On 8/25/2024 at 3:51 PM, Danger said:

You lost me at stalwart and under his tenure.

2 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

On average, the team has ranked 8th in points allowed, but sure his defenses have clearly been awful.

We are Steeler fans.  all defenses are measured by 1976 Steel curtain.  Most are found wanting :-)

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

On average, the team has ranked 8th in points allowed, but sure his defenses have clearly been awful.

I didn’t say they were awful, clearly not stalwart though and haven’t really been since many of ‘Cowher’s players’ moved on. Of course, the people who think last years defense was elite will agree with you, which is exactly why I disagree. I do think their personnel has elite potential this year, given the talent/health improvement at ILB, the stabilization of the SS position, the continued development of Benton/Herbig, and having more talent at the corner position than they’ve had in over a decade. I think this defense can be what some of you overrated last year’s unit to be…and then some. So, I am very optimistic on that side of the ball…and that is about where it ends, though I hope I am wrong there. 

Edited by rlon