What are you expectations for rookie Bo?

Scoundrel

I went back a few years to see how other 1st round QBs have fared in their rookie year... I'm going to pick a few to call out but going to skip players like Fields or Zach Wilson just because. And skipping 2020 season because COVID. Summary for me? I'm going to base whether he's a long term answer or not based on eye test because stats lie.

Baker Mayfield (14 games): 3725 Yards, 27 TDs, 14 Ints, 63.8% Completion, 7.7 Yards Average, 131 Yards Rushing, 25 Sacks

Sam Darnold (13 games): 2865 Yards, 17 TDs, 15 Ints, 57.7% Completion, 6.9 Yards Average, 138 Yards Rushing, 30 Sacks

Daniel Jones (13 games): 3027 Yards, 24 TDs, 12 Ints, 61.9% Completion, 6.6 Yards Average, 279 Yards Rushing, 38 Sacks.

Trevor Lawrence (17 games): 3641 Yards, 12 TDs 17 Ints, 59.6% Completion, 6.0 Yards Average, 334 Yards Rushing, 32 Sacks

Mac Jones (17 games): 3801 Yards 22 TDs 13 Ints, 67.6% Completion, 7.3 Yards Average, 129 Yards Rushing, 28 Sacks

Kenny Pickett (13 games): 2404 Yards, 7 TDs, 9 Ints, 63% Completion, 6.2 Yards Average, 237 Yards Rushing, 27 Sacks

CJ Stroud (15 games): 4108 Yards, 23 TDs, 5 Ints, 63.9% Completion, 8.3 Yards Average, 167 Yards Rushing, 38 Sacks

2024:

Bo Nix (17 games): 1000000 Yards, 312 Tds, -14 Ints, 100% Completion, 100 Yards Average, 29532 Yards Rushing, 212 Sacks (defensive)

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Please don’t be Kenny Pickett or Mac Jones (rookie year notwithstanding) V2.    

That’s all I ask.   

That Mac Jones rookie year looks SO good! I didn't follow his career that closely but I wonder what happened... 

I didn't add Jared Goff to that list but he's a good example of someone who didn't have the best rookie year (granted he only started 7 games) but then turned out to be a pretty good player. Especially his 2nd and 3rd years.

Edited by grizmo78

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

idk if it's the Homer in me or what but I'm really considering taking Bo Nix with my last round pick of my 12 team $300 league. I think our weapons are underrated, our offensive scheme is underrated, Bo's rushing is underrated. 

I thought long and hard at betting on him having the most rookie passing yards. Idk what the line is now but at the time it was something like +450. I'm not really considering him for fantasy though. 

Edit: Looks like it's +350 now. Probably moved once he got announced as a starter. 

Edited by grizmo78

23 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

That Mac Jones rookie year looks SO good! I didn't follow his career that closely but I wonder what happened... 

I didn't add Jared Goff to that list but he's a good example of someone who didn't have the best rookie year (granted he only started 7 games) but then turned out to be a pretty good player. Especially his 2nd and 3rd years.

Top 5 D, Top 10 OL.   3rd place schedule.   OL GOAT coach Scarneccia running the OL, BB running the D.    And while McD has been an absolute disaster as a HC (duh), as an OC he's competent - when he's just doing that.   And compared to Matt Patricia (LOOOOOL) as the 2022 OC and Alex Van Pelt (2023), he's miles ahead.  So he kinda hid Jones' weaknesses.   

Once the talent started to dwindle, and the coaching staff couldn't really hide his weaknesses, well, it got ugly in a hurry.   The other part - Jones is a POS (dirtiest QB in the game, ask JAX & CAR players, multiple attempts to injure players at the bottom of the pile caught on tape).    Probably still an OK backup type guy talent-wise - but obv not what you want as a R1 guy.  For all the ppl who took victory laps with SF going Trey Lance over Mac Jones after 2021....it's pretty clear neither guy was worth an early 1st round pick.    In that respect, I prefer going for the home run there - because when the best result you can hope for is a single or double, I'd rather take the shot on the home run, franchise-changing pick, if you have to choose.   We didn't have that choice this year, but more talking in general principles.

Jones is exactly what you fear about 1st round need-based picks - limited skills, limited ceiling, and played on stacked teams in college, and only broke out in his later years.   All the flags to not go R1.   To be fair to Nix, he was never on stacked teams, but the late age of success is still of concern.  But if there's a coach who can max out the strengths and limit weaknesses in the NFL, Payton's a top 5 guy (Shanny obv in there as well).    I still worry Nix won't be good enough to win games in January (when coaches & talent on both sides often negate each other), but at least we have a guy who can make the entire Payton O run.    We'll worry about January games if we get to them.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Broncofan said:

For all the ppl who took victory laps with SF going Trey Lance over Mac Jones after 2021....it's pretty clear neither guy was worth an early 1st round pick.    In that respect, I prefer going for the home run there - because when the best result you can hope for is a single or double, I'd rather take the shot on the home run, franchise-changing pick, if you have to choose.   We didn't have that choice this year, but more talking in general principles.

Re: Lance and Jones, Kyle fell in love with Lance's physical skills and BB took Jones because he played at Alabama for Nick Saban. 

I will say this until the day I die, that David Tepper is responsible for making Nick Caserio look good - it's been reported that Bryce Young was a Tepper pick when Fitterer and Reich preferred C.J. Stroud and there was no way that Caserio, given his ties to NE, would have taken someone other than Bryce Young at 2. It's impossible to know, but had Carolina and Houston between swapped 1 and 2, the 1st and 2nd overall picks in the 2023 would have been the same players going in the same order but each landing on the opposite team. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

The Broncos have announced their captains and for the first time in a long time, the group includes a rookie. Quarterback Bo Nix has been named a captain after Denver selected him at No. 12 overall in the spring and he won the starting quarterback job in camp.

Nix, 24, is the first Broncos rookie to be named a captain since 1967, according to the team’s announcement. That’s when Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little earned the honor.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bo-nix-is-the-first-broncos-rookie-to-be-named-captain-since-1967

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Broncos have announced their captains and for the first time in a long time, the group includes a rookie. Quarterback Bo Nix has been named a captain after Denver selected him at No. 12 overall in the spring and he won the starting quarterback job in camp.

Nix, 24, is the first Broncos rookie to be named a captain since 1967, according to the team’s announcement. That’s when Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little earned the honor.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bo-nix-is-the-first-broncos-rookie-to-be-named-captain-since-1967

That's a crazy stat man. I'm somewhat conflicted about Bo being a rookie and a captain but who am I to say that's wrong when a bunch of our guys seem to love him. Makes me wonder what Stidham thinks of this as he's really supposed to be in that mentor role in the QB room. What I will say is our guys seem to be rallying around Bo hard and should play hard on offense because of it, which is something we haven't seen in years. I just wonder how many of the same dudes start to play selfish again if/when we go on a losing streak or Bo has a shaky start

• Like 1

Starting QBs are usually captains of their respective teams, so there it’s not surprise, but it is noteworthy as he's a rookie. My beat reporter friend has said he is the real deal in terms of professionalism and maturity, which we knew going in, now let’s just hope he can play like the real deal. 

• Like 2