The official Watson is WASHED, I told you so thread

MWil23

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This isn’t meant to be snarky at all, but if you’re doing great otherwise maybe investing time in this team isn’t the best thing as you seem to be rather miserable and at times insufferable when discussing really anything related to it.

This just doesn’t seem like the enjoyable break from reality that sports typically is for most folks for you. 

You know the commitment we make as fans. It isn't that far removed from our friends/family. I'm still here from time to time but mostly I'm waiting for things to change so I can enjoy the team again.

Some people can jump from team to team and that is probably healthier but for those who feel a loyalty, they just got to get a little dirty when the team is going through a cow field. Wait til it's passed, dust yourself off and start to enjoy the ride again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This isn’t meant to be snarky at all, but if you’re doing great otherwise maybe investing time in this team isn’t the best thing as you seem to be rather miserable and at times insufferable when discussing really anything related to it.

This just doesn’t seem like the enjoyable break from reality that sports typically is for most folks for you. 

Good point, but here are my alternatives:

I can always distract myself with the completely reasonable and not at all depressing Presidential Election this fall, inevitable Cleveland Baseball postseason heartbreak, a Ryan Day led Ohio State chokejob come Thanksgiving through January, etc.

Legitimately I wish I’d have picked up another hobby 20+ years ago. Now I feel like I’m too emotionally invested to walk away but I probably should.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You know the commitment we make as fans. It isn't that far removed from our friends/family. I'm still here from time to time but mostly I'm waiting for things to change so I can enjoy the team again.

Some people can jump from team to team and that is probably healthier but for those who feel a loyalty, they just got to get a little dirty when the team is going through a cow field. Wait til it's passed, dust yourself off and start to enjoy the ride again.

10/10 describes how I feel to a T. Crap posting is part of the grieving process for me here.

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I’m not saying it’s a situation where he should just root for another team or whatever, but if after 2.5 years you’re still in rage mode and unable to pull back from that feeling, then whatever is causing that rage is clearly unhealthy. And if everything else in life is going well, it seems less than ideal to willingly engage in something that makes you this unhappy. 

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Good point, but here are my alternatives:

I can always distract myself with the completely reasonable and not at all depressing Presidential Election this fall, inevitable Cleveland Baseball postseason heartbreak, a Ryan Day led Ohio State chokejob come Thanksgiving through January, etc.

Legitimately I wish I’d have picked up another hobby 20+ years ago. Now I feel like I’m too emotionally invested to walk away but I probably should.

We’ve had terrible politicians and crappy sports teams our whole lives, none of this is new. And I’d imagine the last 4 seasons have been the most successful extended period of time for the Browns since like, the 80s. 

There are all kinds of things to do with free time that aren’t sports and would likely make you far less miserable. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If Watson is going to fail, we need it to be fast.

We need to have 100% clarity on what he is one way or another.

He isn't going to look like total crap, far too experienced for that.

Still, you are committed either way. Can't cut him so if you replace him you are going to have a toxic situation.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not saying it’s a situation where he should just root for another team or whatever, but if after 2.5 years you’re still in rage mode and unable to pull back from that feeling, then whatever is causing that rage is clearly unhealthy. And if everything else in life is going well, it seems less than ideal to willingly engage in something that makes you this unhappy. 

I think you are confusing a feeling about a sports team and a feeling about life in general. It isn't like he is thinking about the Browns much of his day. It's fine. It's a good release. Let him do his thing. If it bums you out that much you can find other things to do or places to be that are less toxic for you.

Sounds pretty silly, doesn't it?

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He isn't going to look like total crap, far too experienced for that.

Still, you are committed either way. Can't cut him so if you replace him you are going to have a toxic situation.

It could set up like how the Eagles had Carson Wentz and Jalen Hurts.

That’s best case scenario though.

34 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It could set up like how the Eagles had Carson Wentz and Jalen Hurts.

That’s best case scenario though.

It can be done. I don't think they would have the cojones to draft a QB that early though. It would look like they were looking for an immediate replacement (before Watson's contract expires). Which would mean they admitted that they failed on their, by far, biggest move as a regime. Which would be scary to do.

Maybe grab a guy in the 4th and call him developmental and hope he can be ready and say they had no choice he is just too good but that's a 1% thing.

52 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think you are confusing a feeling about a sports team and a feeling about life in general. It isn't like he is thinking about the Browns much of his day. It's fine. It's a good release. Let him do his thing. If it bums you out that much you can find other things to do or places to be that are less toxic for you.

Sounds pretty silly, doesn't it?

You trying to compare my point to his general mood?  Yes, silly as hell.

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You trying to compare my point to his general mood?  Yes, silly as hell.

I'm trying to say I don't think his frustrations about the Browns are hurting his overall mentality, so no reason for him to walk away. So while I'm sure you are just trying to help him out (giving you the benefit of the doubt) I don't really think the advice is necessary.

Posted (edited)

Given that fan is short for fanatic, as opposed to me being relatively passionate and logical with moments of optimism alongside Quinn and Mayfield bashing during my span here from 2004-2022, I have simply decided to cope with this team in a booing manner and fashion, hoping that the entire fan base turns against Watson and they just eat his salary and cut him, accruing a horrific deadcap, and start over 2 years early as opposed to riding it out 2 more seasons.

If enough people voice their frustration and anger, maybe it’ll make a difference. If not, it’s at least cathartic.

Edited by MWil23

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Maybe grab a guy in the 4th and call him developmental and hope he can be ready and say they had no choice he is just too good but that's a 1% thing.

That’s what I think they’re secretly hoping with DTR. The problem is that the kid looks terrified every time he’s asked to throw the ball. God forbid it’s got deep route concepts.