Owners approve the introduction of private equity in franchise ownership

RaidersAreOne

I think the other thing this may do is help the "poorer" owners.

Currently, the most cash-rich owners can more readily manipulate the salary cap by putting out huge chucks of cash to give their GM's more flexibility. All PE firms are flush with cash, so I would think this would level the playing field a bit on that front.

7 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I think the other thing this may do is help the "poorer" owners.

Currently, the most cash-rich owners can more readily manipulate the salary cap by putting out huge chucks of cash to give their GM's more flexibility. All PE firms are flush with cash, so I would think this would level the playing field a bit on that front.

The NFL wouldn’t let Dan Snyder take on any more debt after he bought out the other minority owners, so you also have a point there.  

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, the writing was on the wall when MLB approved David Rubenstein for ownership of the Orioles.  Now, it’s a little bit of an apples to oranges comparison, as the original deal had Rubenstein take controlling ownership of the team, with the ability to buy more over time, but with the almost immediate passing of Peter Angelos, that timeframe was jumped and Rubenstein now owns 98-ish% of the team.  

You can’t really have one of the major four sports leagues approve an owner who made his billions from the private equity firm Carlyle Group, and not expect that to immediately trickle into the others.  

I’m just surprised to see the NFL jump right in half a year after Rubenstein was voted in by the MLB owners.  

Ehhhhhhh I think that was a special case since he's a lifelong Baltimore native and an individual not a the actual investment firm itself. 

18 hours ago, August4th said:

I've seen a lot of people say this is the start of the end for the nfl. These firms ruin everything they touch over time. 

As a former diehard fan and now jaded and begrudging fan of a team formerly owned by Art Modell and now Jimmy Haslem, I am excited to see 30 other teams minus Green Bay to get completely wrecked as well.

19 hours ago, minutemancl said:

It means MBS is about to have ownership stake in the most American of American sports and all NFL owners are about to get even more rich. 

The Chicago Bears of Riyadh. 

Has a decent ring to it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, August4th said:

I've seen a lot of people say this is the start of the end for the nfl. These firms ruin everything they touch over time. 

At least we'll finally become a soccer powerhouse. 

I see it as allowing the owners to get a half a billion out of their franchise before the bubble bursts. Finding an owner to pay 5-6 billion isn't easy but to sell 10% 500-600 million to a PE firm when your product is at an all time high is a smart business decision for you and your family. Growth doesn't last forever so sell some while you're up big like Buffett and BofA

• Like 1