2024-25 College Prospect Watch

615finest

9 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I need to watch more, but I think Jalen Milroe could be really special if he gets in an offense that fully commits to his style. 

Are we that team? Does anyone feel that would be Cally's style?
It is seeming to me, he wants a QB with more timing feel. Someone in the Purdy style of play, opposed to someone that pushes the ball down the field. 

To me that feels more like a Sanders, Ward type player. 

Milroe would have been a Vrabel type player to me. 

20 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

It is seeming to me, he wants a QB with more timing feel. Someone in the Purdy style of play, opposed to someone that pushes the ball down the field. 

agreed, i had been thinking about that myself. i think all else equal cally wants a point guard. that's peyton, that's joe burrow, matt stafford is a little bit of a wild card but he's certainly no slouch in that department either.

also, one other dark horse guy to think about is garrett nussmeier from LSU. this is his first year starting so there isn't a ton of draft talk around him, and i don't know if he'd declare this year, but he's already a redshirt junior and there's a part of me that wonders if he comes out this year to try to take advantage of a weak QB class instead of competing against next year's guys. dude's got arm talent for days and is a really good operator in the pocket- really the biggest concern for me is that this is his only season as a starter.

edit- speak of the devil...

Edited by -Hope-

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Probably not. I'm sure even if we did draft him we'd probably try to fit a square peg into a round hole, because that's just what we do historically. I know it's a different coaching staff, so my hope is that Cally would be more flexible, but the scars are still there from previous regimes lol. I think if a team did commit to Milroe's play style they'd reap the benefits of that similar to the Ravens with Lamar. Guys with that kind of athletic ability and traits don't come along every day, and I would have a hard time passing up on that kind of lottery ticket. If you have to change the offense a little bit to fit that kind of talent so be it. Check your ego at the door and make it work, but a lot of coaches get too precious with their schemes.

Well, do we know how much Callahan likes the current scheme?  He was under Zach Taylor, and using his scheme to a degree there.  He's trying to run a competent offense with Levis, but it's not like there's a long history of him with multiple teams with multiple QBs all running the same scheme.

He was (at least he said so) intrigued by Malik Willis, because of his arm and athleticism, and definitely tried to give him more of a shot at proving he was something than most Titans fans were interested in.  He would have been well within popular opinion to just cut him outright, but instead he gave him starting reps, and a lot of them, in preseason.

Plus, he spent a all of his OC career playing Lamar Jackson twice a year, so an offense catered to a QB using his legs is, at minimum, not foreign to him.  He very well might be fine with a player like Milroe.

As for LSU, count me off of the Nuss bus right now.  I was very much not impressed by his Kentucky and USC tape.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2024 at 3:36 PM, Daniel said:

Well, do we know how much Callahan likes the current scheme?  He was under Zach Taylor, and using his scheme to a degree there.  He's trying to run a competent offense with Levis, but it's not like there's a long history of him with multiple teams with multiple QBs all running the same scheme.

He was (at least he said so) intrigued by Malik Willis, because of his arm and athleticism, and definitely tried to give him more of a shot at proving he was something than most Titans fans were interested in.  He would have been well within popular opinion to just cut him outright, but instead he gave him starting reps, and a lot of them, in preseason.

Plus, he spent a all of his OC career playing Lamar Jackson twice a year, so an offense catered to a QB using his legs is, at minimum, not foreign to him.  He very well might be fine with a player like Milroe.

As for LSU, count me off of the Nuss bus right now.  I was very much not impressed by his Kentucky and USC tape.

This is a really good point. Cally talked a lot in the offseason about hiring coaches that gave him problems as an OC. Who's to say that thought process doesn't apply to players, or in this case certain types of players as well? Lamar gives defenses fits weekly and nobody knows that better than Cally. If Ran and Cally get into the draft process and see some Lamar in Jalen Milroe that's almost impossible to pass up in my view. Successful coaches build their scheme around their players not the other way around.

We still have a way to go in the season, but from what I've seen from Milroe so far, if the coaching staff commits to his style of play you have a potential franchise changer on your hands. He's growing as a passer at a pretty rapid rate, throws a great deep ball, and the natural athletic ability is off the charts. Not to mention he just put up 41 points on one of the best defenses in the country. Scouts are going to see that as a big time positive for him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Someone's gonna have to tell me what any of those abbreviations mean.  Even SOS is confusing me.  I would assume that's strength of schedule, but then it's telling me that Georgia has had the absolute easiest, going against Clemson, Alabama, and Kentucky's defenses.

SOS and REM i don't know, but the rest left-to-right are dropbacks, time to throw, average depth of target, pressure to sack rate, scramble rate, PFF grade, adjusted QBR, and EPA per play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Someone's gonna have to tell me what any of those abbreviations mean.  Even SOS is confusing me.  I would assume that's strength of schedule, but then it's telling me that Georgia has had the absolute easiest, going against Clemson, Alabama, and Kentucky's defenses.

SOS is strength of schedule, yes, REM is remaining schedule.

5 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

SOS is strength of schedule, yes, REM is remaining schedule.

the only way this makes sense is if the numbers are the ranks (e.g. georgia and beck have played the 2nd-toughest schedule to this point) and they've forgotten to reverse the color coding so playing a tougher schedule looks worse. i'm pretty sure that's what's happening here, because ward and miami playing a pretty weak schedule with a slightly-stronger but still weak schedule remaining is accurate as well.

7 hours ago, -Hope- said:

the only way this makes sense is if the numbers are the ranks (e.g. georgia and beck have played the 2nd-toughest schedule to this point) and they've forgotten to reverse the color coding so playing a tougher schedule looks worse. i'm pretty sure that's what's happening here, because ward and miami playing a pretty weak schedule with a slightly-stronger but still weak schedule remaining is accurate as well.

Yeah, I think it's coded from toughest to easiest, meaning red is strongest of schedule, indeed.

On 10/1/2024 at 1:11 PM, -Hope- said:

also, one other dark horse guy to think about is garrett nussmeier from LSU. this is his first year starting so there isn't a ton of draft talk around him, and i don't know if he'd declare this year, but he's already a redshirt junior and there's a part of me that wonders if he comes out this year to try to take advantage of a weak QB class instead of competing against next year's guys. dude's got arm talent for days and is a really good operator in the pocket- really the biggest concern for me is that this is his only season as a starter.

edit- speak of the devil...

This was some impressive stuff!